Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to put on winter wheel/tires in DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the X-Ice's installed yesterday since I'm planning to not use the car for the next week or so. Yesterday was unseasonably warm (65F) and the difference from the all season Michelin's was immediately noticeable (not in a good way). Very floaty/squishy feel, much less responsive. Better feel this am with temps in the high 40's. Based on this experience I would echo comments on mounting when the highs are consistently below 45F as a rough guide.

This will be the first winter I have used winter tires on my "classic" 2012 P85. I have new Pirelli Sottozero3s mounted on used grey 21s I got used from a buddy of mine. Had them mounted at Rockville Service Center a few weeks ago and drove home with them on (temp was 65 degrees). Noticed a slight increase in noise around 35 mph, but that may go away when it is colder. Soon as I got home I put my summer 21s back on - will wait for temps consistently below 42 degrees before I put the winters back on.

Was thinking I would put them on this weekend in advance of Thanksgiving travel to New York, but the weather both places looks pretty mild, so I'll wait.

I'm torn between doing it too early and driving around on squishy marshmallows, and not waiting so long that I have to do it in the freezing cold.