Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to renew Octopus Go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With almost a mont until my Octopus Go fixed germs ends I’ve received my renewal prices. Does anyone know if the renewal price is guaranteed until my fixed term ends? I’d like to keep my current cheaper rates for another month.

With almost a mont until my Octopus Go fixed germs ends I’ve received my renewal prices. Does anyone know if the renewal price is guaranteed until my fixed term ends? I’d like to keep my current cheaper rates for another month.
Just write to them saying you would like the current tariff - you will get an email few months down the line saying there was some error in processing your account, so they will continue to offer the cheap price for another year as a matter as it was their mistake. It is pure marketing but nothing to lose, you get cheap price in the current climate and Octopus gets some more marketing advts without investing much, Win-Win for everyone.

Btw, I also got an email with new rate etc., eventhough they said they did not send!

This is the email I got:

Hi,

As with all of our cutting-edge smart tariffs, sometimes things can go a bit... wrong.

Your contract with us was recently coming up for renewal, and we were supposed to send an email notifying you of the new rates. But instead, we didn't. Sorry about that.

Your account was one of a handful affected, and nothing else other than the renewal dates was impacted.

Because we didn't notify you in advance, your rates aren’t increasing. We’ll keep them where they are for another 12 months.

Thanks for continuing to trial tariffs like Octopus Go. While there may be bumps along the way, together we’re demonstrating what the energy system of the future should be.

Love & Power,

The Octopus Energy Team

Last edited:
Just write to them saying you would like the current tariff - you will get an email few months down the line saying there was some error in processing your account, so they will continue to offer the cheap price for another year as a matter as it was their mistake. It is pure marketing but nothing to lose, you get cheap price in the current climate and Octopus gets some more marketing advts without investing much, Win-Win for everyone.

Btw, I also got an email with new rate etc., eventhough they said they did not send!

This is the email I got:

Hi,

As with all of our cutting-edge smart tariffs, sometimes things can go a bit... wrong.

Your contract with us was recently coming up for renewal, and we were supposed to send an email notifying you of the new rates. But instead, we didn't. Sorry about that.

Your account was one of a handful affected, and nothing else other than the renewal dates was impacted.

Because we didn't notify you in advance, your rates aren’t increasing. We’ll keep them where they are for another 12 months.

Thanks for continuing to trial tariffs like Octopus Go. While there may be bumps along the way, together we’re demonstrating what the energy system of the future should be.

Love & Power,

The Octopus Energy Team
Very interesting.

I got the same email and thought I was a chosen one. 😂

I hadn’t mentioned it to anyone as the rates are amazing in the current climate and friends without EVs seem to have larger electric bills than we do now 😳.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I think you only get the extra 12 months if you were on Go Faster?

I tried to move my time window and they could only offer the 7.5p/kWh tariff even though I'd got months to go at 5p/kWh.

My Go Faster rolled over at the old rates. I did get a renewal email though it was a bit odd.

We thought you should know that on 12th March 2022, you'll reach the end of your fixed term, and automatically moved to Octopus Go Faster: our always great value variable tariff.

Our prices have been adjusted recently to account for the latest changes in wholesale costs. You'll always find the most up-to-date rates in your online account.

You don't need to do anything, but if you'd like to fix your prices, you can do so at any time in your online account.

Good to know: Our Octopus Go Faster has no exit fees, so you're always in control.

Kind regards,
Pete Miller
Head of Customer Experience

Ive been with Octopus since the end of March. They are billing me for Gas, but not for electricity, even though my consumption is showing on my App, so the smart meter is being recorded every 30 mins. I'm on Intelligent Octopus, 7.5p from 23:30 to 05:30. I've emailed them but no reply. I've now gpt over £1000 in my account...... I'm not complaining! Has anyone else had similar issues?

Ive been with Octopus since the end of March. They are billing me for Gas, but not for electricity, even though my consumption is showing on my App, so the smart meter is being recorded every 30 mins. I'm on Intelligent Octopus, 7.5p from 23:30 to 05:30. I've emailed them but no reply. I've now gpt over £1000 in my account...... I'm not complaining! Has anyone else had similar issues?
Yeah happens a lot for some reason. I reach out to them on twitter and they sort it.

Well I'm coming up to a month with my SMART meter not communicating usage to Octopus! Reported it twice now but still not working. They don't seem to be interested in looking into what's gone wrong.
Surely it can take a month to remotely test the meter to see what's gone wrong. Anybody had this issue and how was it fixed?

Yes. I had exactly the same thing. It will be because 1 30 min period is not registering on the smart meter so they don't bill you. I'd get it sorted if I were you, as with prices going up, it's hard to keep track if you're paying enough when your not being billed. 1 phone call sorted it for me

I got an email for the higher rate the other day, was a bit annoyed as had thought when I fixed my gas the electricity was also fixed for the same term. When I spoke to them at the time they just said if I fix the gas the Go would roll over too and I wouldn’t need to do anything! Turns out that isn't exactly what happens!

@Peter 224 we are in a similar situation, in our case billed for electricity but not gas. Octopus say they are not getting readings from our gas smart meter. However the Octopus app (and another app I use) show the gas usage which appears to be correct.

Octopus have not yet explained this anomaly to me - their servers get the gas stats, but their billing system does not.

Their solution is to fit another new smart meter. I’m sure it’s a database error at their end.

Tony

Well Tony, I've had a few missing data points that cause a billing stop. When I questioned it the gave me the date and times of the missing data but checking in the app there was no missing data. They couldn't explain why the data was in the app but not in the billing system... Now the meter has stopped send data (both app and billing)!