Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to rotate tires? @annual inspection/12,500 or sooner? Who is doing it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, well the obvious answer is that everyone should be rotating tires according to the tire manufacturers recommendation in order to not void the tire's treadwear warranty. This is usually every 7500 miles.

Tires benefit from an early rotation so that every tire has a turn on the drive axle. This helps set up an even wear pattern that helps prevent odd wear and vibration later in the tire's life. Typically this should be around 1600 miles for a tire that's expected to live 30,000 miles or longer. Obviously it's not going to help that much if your tires only last 6,000 miles.

After that rotation is mainly so that all four tires will wear out at the same time--always best to replace tires in sets of four (assuming they are the same size). The main reason that it's best to replace tires in sets of four is that tire manufacturers make undocumented changes to the tires and putting on four at once is the best way to make sure the handling characteristics are balanced.

Tires benefit from an early rotation so that every tire has a turn on the drive axle. This helps set up an even wear pattern that helps prevent odd wear and vibration later in the tire's life. Typically this should be around 1600 miles for a tire that's expected to live 30,000 miles or longer. Obviously it's not going to help that much if your tires only last 6,000 miles.

After that rotation is mainly so that all four tires will wear out at the same time--always best to replace tires in sets of four (assuming they are the same size). The main reason that it's best to replace tires in sets of four is that tire manufacturers make undocumented changes to the tires and putting on four at once is the best way to make sure the handling characteristics are balanced.

Thanks. So what do you recommend for the 21" Conti tires if they look to only last around 10-15k miles? I'm down to a little over 5 mm after 6,000 miles and rotated at 2,500. We only get 2 free rotations per year.

I rotated mine at 3500 due to apparent rear tire tread wear.
I used a local Tread quarters.
They were knowledgeable about the torque needed for the wheel bolts.
I educated them about the lift points relating to the battery location and about the air suspension.
Cost was $12.

Thanks. So what do you recommend for the 21" Conti tires if they look to only last around 10-15k miles? I'm down to a little over 5 mm after 6,000 miles and rotated at 2,500. We only get 2 free rotations per year.

At 15,000 miles the tires will not last long enough to exhibit the kind of problems an early rotation will mitigate. Just rotate them so that all four will wear out at the same time, either using some arbitrary mileage or using the 1/3, 2/3 method. (Rotate when the lowest axle has worn 1/3, then again when the lowest axle is 2/3 worn, then replace all four).

There may be some tricks to get longer life on the Model S, such as turning the tires on the wheels so that the inside is outside when the tread is 1/2 worn at the lowest point. I'm normally not keen on mounting and dismounting tires, but if you can get the tires to last 20-30K miles rather than 10-15K it's a strategy to consider. The plan would be: Rotate normally when the lowest point is 1/4 worn. Unmount tires and reverse the orientation when the lowest point is 1/2 worn. Rotate normally when the lowest point is 3/4 worn. Replace all four. (Note that this is a starting point only and will likely require refining as actual experience accrues.)

The tires on the Model S--or at least that are on mine--are asymmetrical. The idea with asymmetry is that the outside edges will wear more (from cornering) so there are fewer voids on the outside. Fewer voids will also make the cornering crisper. In the Model S' case the tire wears quicker on the inside so an inside-to-outside swap has the potential of increasing tire life dramatically (and at half tread depth the cornering will still be crisp). Note that tires which are both asymmetrical and directional will not be amenable to this method. (I don't believe any OE tires for the Model S are both asymmetrical and directional, but check the tires are that are installed on your Model S to be sure.)

Tesla will rotate tires twice a year as part of the service contract.
Is that really in the Texas service plan?

The plan I am offered in Washington reads as follows:

The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shall include the following (subject to change by Tesla
at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):

Vehicle inspection;

Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items
and wear and tear parts, excluding the Battery and tires;

Wheel alignment*; and

Tire rotation*.

As I read it, "The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections" means yearly or 12,500 mile intervals.

Per Jerry33's suggestion, I just finished rotating my tires today. I have the 19" Goodyears with 1500 miles on them. I used a dial caliper to measure the tread depth on all 4 tires. First off, it is impossible to get a precise reading they way I did it. I usually use one of the depth gauges from the Auto parts stores which one can read to 1/2 32nd. I was able to get readings good to about +/- 0.005" this new way. (About +/- 0.2 of a 32nd) My fronts were showing about 10.1 to 10.2 tread with a slight but noticeable crown in the middle. My rears were showing 9.8 to 10 with a slight low spot in the middle. Not at the inner edge. In my case, the inner and outer edge were identical. I plan to put 1 pound more air in the fronts (46 lb) and 1 pound less in the rears (44 lb) for the next 1500 miles and see what happens.
Based on the way I drive, with this offset and periodic rotations, I think I will get exactly even wear on all 4 tires. If this looks good in another 1500 miles or so, I will go back to more normal rotation intervals.

Is that really in the Texas service plan?

The plan I am offered in Washington reads as follows:

The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shall include the following (subject to change by Tesla
at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):

Vehicle inspection;

Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items
and wear and tear parts, excluding the Battery and tires;

Wheel alignment*; and

Tire rotation*.

As I read it, "The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections" means yearly or 12,500 mile intervals.

That's what they told me over the phone when I called to schedule service but I'll have to read the fine print, that's a good idea.

Any further updates? I'm approaching 6K miles and have the pre-paid service plan and wondering whether two rotations/year are included. I was hoping to get the newer front mats and rear mats at the same time but will call in advance to make sure they have them.

I got free rotation @ 5k when I brought car in for other items. 2nd rotation and alignment covered by service plan at 12k. I paid $25/ wheel extra for balancing at 12k service. It looked like two wheels needed balancing from the "appearance" of the wheel weights after the service. Tesla didn't keep records and was unable to confirm if balance was off on any of the wheels...

Question on front/rear rotation of 19" wheels. I am hitting 5,000 miles and checked my tread depth, already showing only 4-5/32 on the rear, 8-9/32 on the front. I was thinking I could rotate rear to front, but then I saw in the safety manual that the 19" wheels are actually 8" wide in front, and 9" wide in the rear (though the tires are all the same width). The 21" wheels are all identical. Does the difference in 19" width mean I cannot rotate the rears to the front? And by extension I will just need to replace the rears twice as often?

I was hoping this would be a simple thing I could do myself, but it is turning into an opportunity to see if the Columbus ranger service would like to bring me a P+ loaner while they rotate, align and balance my tires!