Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to rotate tires? @annual inspection/12,500 or sooner? Who is doing it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jake, the widths are the same all around. It is a misprint in the manual.

Question on front/rear rotation of 19" wheels. I am hitting 5,000 miles and checked my tread depth, already showing only 4-5/32 on the rear, 8-9/32 on the front. I was thinking I could rotate rear to front, but then I saw in the safety manual that the 19" wheels are actually 8" wide in front, and 9" wide in the rear (though the tires are all the same width). The 21" wheels are all identical. Does the difference in 19" width mean I cannot rotate the rears to the front? And by extension I will just need to replace the rears twice as often?

I was hoping this would be a simple thing I could do myself, but it is turning into an opportunity to see if the Columbus ranger service would like to bring me a P+ loaner while they rotate, align and balance my tires!

Thanks MNX, both the Columbus OH and Norristown PA service centers confirmed this for me, even the latest downloadable manual still contains this misinformation. All four wheels are identical widths on 19s as well as 21s. Norristown did a super job of rotating my wheels yesterday afternoon, as well as letting me charge at 70A while the work was being done. They also did bulletin work, such as replacing the wheel axle nut (wrong term I am sure), installing clips inside the rear door window mechanism, and replacing my original UMC, which lacked a faceplate and was getting finicky with connections.

Uploading pics just because Model S looks even more like a spaceship/time machine with the wheels off!

WheelGreenandBrown.jpg
WheelsUp1.jpg
WheelsUp2.jpg
WheelsUp3.jpg

Had my 21 Conti's rotated today.
Exactly 90 days of ownership, and 5200 miles.

Backs had 4/32, while fronts had 7/32.
Wear bar is at 2/32.
Tires start with 10/32.

Tire pressure was down to about 39psi, should be at 42. They don't use nitrogen to fill the tires, kind off wish they did.

Considering I don't have a performance, and I really don't drive it that hard very often, except for the occasional demo ride... sure seems like they're wearing pretty fast. 60 mile round trip commute, with mostly highway, half with Portland traffic, half against traffic.

Going to get 19s for the winter, within the next 30 to 45 days.

Wear bar is at 2/32.
Tires start with 10/32.

Tire pressure was down to about 39psi, should be at 42. They don't use nitrogen to fill the tires, kind off wish they did.

Considering I don't have a performance, and I really don't drive it that hard very often, except for the occasional demo ride... sure seems like they're wearing pretty fast. 60 mile round trip commute, with mostly highway, half with Portland traffic, half against traffic.

Any 21's in the after market tires that might last longer? No way I'd want the 19" rims, the 21" look amazing (and for us new buyers $4500).

Any 21's in the after market tires that might last longer? No way I'd want the 19" rims, the 21" look amazing (and for us new buyers $4500).
At tirerack, I only see 9 available for the Model S 21" wheels and, of those, the Continental ExtremeContact DW (the OEM tires) have the highest listed UTQG of "340 AA A". That doesn't bode well. :(

At tirerack, I only see 9 available for the Model S 21" wheels and, of those, the Continental ExtremeContact DW (the OEM tires) have the highest listed UTQG of "340 AA A". That doesn't bode well. :(

Well, hopefully Tesla will have some alternatives in the near future. Until then, I'll consider the first set of tires the 'demo' tires...taking people on test drives, launching, etc. Then after 5K miles, maybe there will be an alternative fix :cool:

> Tires start with 10/32. [SCW-Greg]

We usually forget to measure the fresh ones!

Nice to see even wear on 21s. If you can tolerate running 4/32 on the front, then you just might get another full summer season on these.
--

Wear bar is at 2/32.
Tires start with 10/32.

You'll want to replace the former back tires sooner than later. 4/32" is where Tirerack.com says wet traction starts to fade (if that is accurate). More than likely you can drive another 2,000 miles or so then replace all 4 tires and maybe rotate sooner next time. Wish they lasted longer as well.

just had my tires rotated at the SC. hit 6500 miles, and I called the SC about getting my tires rotated. The service agent said that the SC would do the first tire rotation at 6500 miles on them, before the annual service plan kicks in. I am assuming they will do this to those who opted for the 4 (or more) year service plan, but that any other mid-year tire rotations would be on us.

they also made some easy fixes that were on their bulletin: gluing some c-pillar something or another, and gave me new floor mats for the front and back seats.

The SC did mine at about 5000 when I had it in for other issues. It was free (I asked them to do it). They said it was free because I had the service contract. I only had my car for about 5 months at that time (about a month + ago.) They didn't say that they wouldn't do another free rotation. I probably wouldn't take it down to Fremont (about 40 miles) just to do a rotation.

The first rotation - which I got at around 7,500 miles - is free for everyone, service plan or not. I don't have a service plan.
I had my tires rotated when I brought the car in for warranty service (replace 12V battery) for the first time last week. I do not have the service plan and was charged for 1/2 hour of labor ($75!). Think I'll do it myself next time or bring it to a local shop! I have a hard time believing it took 30 minutes to rotate the tires!

It took me 30 minutes to swap in winter tires the other day. Now I don't have a lift but jacking the car takes a few seconds with a decent shop jack. I'm sure it would take at least 20 minutes, especially if you're taking care to set and double-check the bolt torque.

I had my tires rotated when I brought the car in for warranty service (replace 12V battery) for the first time last week. I do not have the service plan and was charged for 1/2 hour of labor ($75!). Think I'll do it myself next time or bring it to a local shop! I have a hard time believing it took 30 minutes to rotate the tires!

30 minutes is quite reasonable. But you guys don't insist on having the tires rebalanced when they are off?

Wow, that's strange! Are you considering following up with the service center to mention that many folks here got a free tire rotation without a service plan?