Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to sell or upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I have a tesla faclift model s with 8000 miles on it now i was wondeirng should i sell the car now for ap2 because im worried my value is gonna drop a lot?
Perhaps you should have just leased the vehicle when you took delivery.

A car, by its nature, is a depreciating asset. A new car typically loses over 10% of its value the moment you take possession and drive it off the lot. Just enjoy it.

We just passed 81k on our 2013 Model S and know that our next Model S will be technologically superior than our current Model S. (something EVERY Tesla owner should expect with their car.)

Huh? Selling a car after 8000 miles is like the worst time if you are concerned with depreciation... well that's not true... selling a car after you just drove it home from the dealership is the worst if you are concerned with depreciation.

I assure you, if you sell every car you own at 8000 miles, you will end up spending shitload more on cars than someone who buys the same cars as you do and sells at 20k miles instead, assuming you drive the same number of miles/month.

Last edited:
AP2 is going to be great but it isn't great yet. I think AP1 still offers all, perhaps more than AP2. AP2 doesn't read speed limit signs yet. It shows us the speed limit stored in the database, usually right but not always right.

If you have an AP1 Tesla, you've already taken the AP2 depreciation hit, I'd wait. They are getting better all the time. When you buy the next one, you are frozen in time with your new car while even newer ones continue to offer new surprises. If you already have an S, you get to drive an S, your AP is currently just as good, and you still get to wait and see what the new things are as they are released. Life doesn't get better than that.

The cat is out of the bag with AP2, that value drop has already happened to you, it's not going to happen again. You may see another drop for other reasons but even then it won't be as much as if you hadn't taken the AP2 hit first. I don't think you'll save much replacing now as opposed to later. I don't think you'll save anything.

If you look at cost of ownership, there are a lot of ways to calculate it. One way would be cost per mile driven. Since your car has depreciated, as have all our cars, the cost to drive it a mile is less than if you get a new one and drive that one a mile. So what would you get for the increased cost of driving it? You'd get AP2 which isn't a whole lot different from AP1. If it's a 75 or 75D, it'll be quite a bit quicker to 60 than if built a month ago. That'd be neat.

I don't know if all this is important to you. But you asked for my advice so here it is. If it was me, I'd wait. After all, you'd hate to buy a car with AP2 and then find you'd just missed AP3. As for me, I think I'm going to wait for the P150D with AP4 and 0-60 in sub 2 second "plaid mode". And then I'll wait a bit and look for one with about 8000 miles on it... maybe yours.

Best,
David

Personally I don't think AP2 will be what is needed - expect more hardware changes yet before FSD - I know others disagree, just my opinion. And as others rightly observed, you've taken the hit - it will only amortize to a better $/mile average from here on out.
That's why I don't recommend anyone buy FSD upfront, I don't think it's coming with the current hardware. By the time legislation allows it there will be new tech and law makers will want that in the cars they are willing to let self drive.