Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to switch for a Model X or Y? As Model 3 owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned the Tesla Model 3 for about 4 years now and it now has 85k miles. I like it but I still feel I should have an SUV. Space feels very limited when you gotta pack up the car. And if you have to drive more than 2 passengers, space is going to be more limited if you can't fold all the seats down.

There was no Model Y at the time when I purchased the Model 3. But now I feel like I could really use an SUV because it's nice to have more space, especially when you do recreational activities. I went out with my friend in his Porsche Cayenne 2014 and we took his medium sized dog and my bunnies. In the trunk he had a golf bag sitting around, but I still had enough space to put a folded stroller and my bunnies carrier. And I like the SUV style of putting my bunnies carrier in the trunk because they are still with you in the car than a separate trunk. And the folded stroller, I'm forced to always put it flat which takes away space in the Model 3, but in the SUV, the stroller can go vertical which gives more space.

Also for snowboarding I feel having an SUV is nice so all your stuff is accessible. And also my friend tinted his windows in the back, so I assume that will help deter break ins if you must leave stuff back there.

And for my arcade trips, I feel a Model X could pack a bunch of prizes and suitcases without folding a bunch of seats down.

Is there any economical way to just swap a Model 3 to a Model Y that is of the same year, price, mileage without spending too much extra money? Maybe a 1 to 1 trade be cool, I'd do that if everything made sense. Or should I consider buying a used Model X or Y, maybe get a used Model Y with unlimited charging to have a good deal? Or if I wait it out, maybe I can wait for a totally refreshed Model Y or X? I do really think I could benefit from an SUV, space feels pretty limited in the Model 3.

My parents bought a new Lexus GX SUV. They said I could borrow sometimes but I just prefer driving electric cars with autopilot and not paying $100 for full tank of gas in CA.

Is there any economical way to just swap a Model 3 to a Model Y that is of the same year, price, mileage without spending too much extra money? Maybe a 1 to 1 trade be cool, I'd do that if everything made sense.

No one's gonna trade a Y for a 3 straight up. The Y came out not that long ago, it won't get a complete refresh probably for at least 5-7 years, those mega casting machines molds aren't cheap.

Just sell the 3 and buy a Y that fits your budget now. You could use the space and it'll be useful to you immediately.

Reactions: jjrandorin
What is the rebate going to be? Does it apply to all Tesla or Model X?

I like self closing doors which I believe is only Model X.

I believe the reason I bought the model 3 was because of a $7500 rebate.

The new tax incentive will apply to the Model Y only...Model X exceeds the max cap. Also, if your income exceeds $150k or your family income exceeds $300k, then you won't be able to get the rebate either.

I imagine a large portion of Tesla owners won't be eligible given those restrictions but thought you should be aware of the new restrictions regarding the new incentives.

Reactions: voxel and house9
I see you are located in Socal. If you want an electric SUV but you are not sure which one to get, you may want to attend the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, 2022. There are so many cool EV SUV's on the market. I think the best way to make a decision is to attend an auto show where you can see nearly all of them on the market in one place.

Last year, while shopping for a new EV for my wife, my wife and I attended the LA Auto Show. I was hoping to add a second Tesla to our family, but she fell in love with the Ford Mustang Mach E after taking it for a test drive at the auto show. Nearly 9 months later, she took delivery of a new Mustang Mach E.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark