Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to switch from winter tire to summer/all season?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This winter has been mild and we didn’t get much snow here in Chicago. The snow on Halloween kinda tricked me into putting on winter tires in late October, thinking that winter had come early. Was planning to put them on in mid November. After that it’s always in the 40s and 50s speeding up wear on those soft tires. I think I’ve only driven on real snow with the winter tires like 3 times so far.

When are you guys planning to switch back to summer/all season? I’m looking at the forecast now and it’s 40s and 50s until mid March. Thinking about switching back in late March. Summer can’t come soon enough.

Typically, I run winters from early December to late March, as we usually get a late March encore blizzard here in Detroit. This season was unusual in that we had a big snowstorm in early November, so I've been running my winter set since then. There's been a few years where I didn't need to put on winter tires until late December, and also where I kept my winters on until early April due to late season snow. It varies year-to-year, and it also depends on if you're swapping to all-seasons or summer tires. The stickier the summer tire, the longer you should be running winter tires.

I usually switch back when I feel like the roads are all melted off and likelihood of more snow/ice is low. I swap my own in my garage so it’s a little easier to just do it when I feel like it.

I err to the side of I’d rather have winter tires on when I need them and prematurely wear them out then not have them on, get in a wreck, and have them last longer.
That means in Alaska I usually run them from early October until early May.

Reactions: eCharcoal
Depends on your winter tires. If those are of the 'performance,' think Michelin PA3/4, Pirelli Sottozero you're fine for a while. If you have nordic winter tires (Michelin Xi3 etc) I'd get off them as soon as chances of ice on your commute become low, because those suck hard in the dry even when it's cold, and suck even worse when it gets warmer. If they salt well in your neighborhood, you're probably good right now. I'm putting on my 'range' wheels with Michelin CrossClimates as soon as the recent SE MI snow melts this weekend.

This winter has been mild and we didn’t get much snow here in Chicago. The snow on Halloween kinda tricked me into putting on winter tires in late October, thinking that winter had come early. Was planning to put them on in mid November. After that it’s always in the 40s and 50s speeding up wear on those soft tires. I think I’ve only driven on real snow with the winter tires like 3 times so far.

When are you guys planning to switch back to summer/all season? I’m looking at the forecast now and it’s 40s and 50s until mid March. Thinking about switching back in late March. Summer can’t come soon enough.
As far as I'm concerned, as soon as the ground thaws, the snows come off. The point being that any new snow that hits thawed ground is not going to stick around all that long, and if the roads aren't clear, I just take it slow.

Hoping to switch around mid-March here. Simply waiting for night temps to stay steady above 40-45 degrees, then I'll make the switch to summers. You never know with our Chicago weather and the random late March snow storm! Just a few more weeks to go!

Thanks for the input folks. I have General Altimax Arctic 12. They’re gummy tires. I guess I’ll still keep them on until end of March just to be safe. I have a LR RWD. Driving it on snow with the stock Pirellis is not an option. This winter has been weird in Chicago. I wouldn’t be surprised to see sticking snow in April.

Most people in the Detroit area run winter tires from mid November to late March. Remember winter tires are great in the wet and slush so it it makes sense to keep them on a bit later into the warmer wet spring; typically until late March or even early April when the temp might be up over 40 but its still very wet.

Most people in the Detroit area run winter tires from mid November to late March. Remember winter tires are great in the wet and slush so it it makes sense to keep them on a bit later into the warmer wet spring; typically until late March or even early April when the temp might be up over 40 but its still very wet.
Tires with good tread depth are good in wet and slush. Nothing magical about winter tires on those conditions at equal tread. Water actually is meant to stick to the winter tire tread, decreasing traction.

Most people in the Detroit area run all-seasons and do fine. If one has a set of all-seasons for non-winter months, it's totally fine to switch to those once major snow is gone and daily max temps are solidly above freezing. Which will be next week.

Change your tires when your temperature is consistently 40F+ (5C in Canada). That's usually the temperature where winter tires begin to work as intended (5C and below). Of course, if there's still snow, delay your swap. In Quebec, it is mandatory by law to have Winter Tires from December 1st to March 15th.

Change your tires when your temperature is consistently 40F+ (5C in Canada). That's usually the temperature where winter tires begin to work as intended (5C and below).
That's just marketing.
Zero reason to suffer the terrible dry grip of winter tires if there's no winter precipitation expected. As soon as existing snow melts, and as long as weather is warm enough for new precipitation to melt - no reason not to change.

That's just marketing.
Zero reason to suffer the terrible dry grip of winter tires if there's no winter precipitation expected. As soon as existing snow melts, and as long as weather is warm enough for new precipitation to melt - no reason not to change.

Finding #1: The main benefit of winter tires is improved tire adhesion, braking and cornering performance–not acceleration performance.

Another common misperception is that winter tires are only useful in snow. Winter tires are also specifically designed to provide improved traction on ice, and somewhat surprisingly, cold roads. The rubber compound used in winter tires is specially formulated to remain pliable in cold conditions, which improves grip. These tires have a low glass-transition temperature with specific tread-block size and thin slits called ‘siping’ to improve traction. Summer and all-season tires have higher glass transition temperatures so they can withstand the high road-surface temperatures experienced during summer. Winter tires should not be used during warmer seasons, as their performance diminishes and they will experience excessive tread wear.

Tires are very complex systems full of compromises that result in a wide range of competing performance characteristics. Several hundred ingredients are used to produce quality tires, and the manufacturing and curing processes are highly complex and controlled to produce desired characteristics. Tires made for warm weather conditions do not perform as well in cold weather, and vice versa. In general, a tire optimized for a specific application will almost certainly be suboptimal in a different application. Winter tires are optimized to operate when road surface temperatures are at or below 7 °C (45 °F), and in general they outperform other tires below this temperature even when ice 3 and snow are not present (TRAC, 2015). Even on dry pavement at temperatures just below freezing, stopping distances for vehicles with winter tires are as much as 30% shorter than for vehicles with all-season tires. Winter tires deliver better traction on an ice- or snow-covered road surface at -30 °C (-22 °F) than all-season tires at 4 °C (39 °F) (TRAC, 2015).

Finding #2: Winter tires provide improved traction on roads that are below 7 °C (45 °F) even when snow and ice are not present.

Comparing tire traction performance by tire type is difficult because the friction coefficient of ice and snow is highly temperature dependent, particularly when near freezing. Based on limited data from a literature review of winter tires conducted by the Traffic Injury Research Foundation (Brown, 2012), it is estimated that the relative stopping-distance performance of winter tires on packed snow is approximately 35% shorter than for all-season tires and about 50% shorter than for summer tires. Substantial improvements in high-speed vehicle cornering performance with winter tires were also reported (Brown, 2012).

Finding #3: Stopping-distance performance of winter tires on packed snow is typically about 35% shorter than all-season tires and 50% shorter than summer tires.

Finding #4: Winter-tire improvements in stopping distance also extend to improvements in cornering capability.

Source: Woodrooffe, J. (2016). Ten surprising findings about winter tires: It is not just about snow (No. SWT-2016-10). Report No. SWT-2016-10). Ann Arbor: University of Michigan.

I'd rely more on this report than speculations on marketing, especially regarding safety of oneself and others on the road and potentially avoiding any related cost + collateral damage to save a few hundred bucks x few years.

I'd also relate with F1 races where each competitor will choose their own tire specs (soft/medium/hard/extra hard) depending on road surface temperature/weather (rain/wet/hot/etc.) for wear and adhesion. There's obviously some strategy and scientific reason for doing so.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Thp3 and dsgerbc
Finding #2: Winter tires provide improved traction on roads that are below 7 °C (45 °F) even when snow and ice are not present.

I'm sorry, that's just marketing disguised as "research".
Their main source for those claims is Tire and Rubber Association of Canada, which is marketing those winter tires.

Winter tires SUCK in the dry way under freezing, and suck even worse above freezing.
Here's an educational video with a proper test in somewhat controlled conditions:

Dry results @ 9:57
Wet results @ 6:12

Spoiler alert: Winter tires suck, Nordic/ Ice&Snow tires suck worse in ANY temperature above freezing compared to all-seasons.

I suspect their test was not warming up summer tires properly, so those are probably somewhat better than tested when warmed up. And the single most-important thing in wet performance is tread depth. If you have summer tires that are new vs worn all-seasons, put those on. Cause all else equal (with the same tread) summer tire will outperform anything else if there is no snow/ice.

I'm sorry, that's just marketing disguised as "research".
Their main source for those claims is Tire and Rubber Association of Canada, which is marketing those winter tires.

Winter tires SUCK in the dry way under freezing, and suck even worse above freezing.
Here's an educational video with a proper test in somewhat controlled conditions:

Dry results @ 9:57
Wet results @ 6:12

Spoiler alert: Winter tires suck, Nordic/ Ice&Snow tires suck worse in ANY temperature above freezing compared to all-seasons.

I suspect their test was not warming up summer tires properly, so those are probably somewhat better than tested when warmed up. And the single most-important thing in wet performance is tread depth. If you have summer tires that are new vs worn all-seasons, put those on. Cause all else equal (with the same tread) summer tire will outperform anything else if there is no snow/ice.

Your statement about DRY pavement is correct for summer tire superiority over winter tire braking with stats as shown on the video. But have you listened to him saying that when it rains, even at 7 Celsius, people should start considering the swap of tires?
He even mentioned the 7 degrees rule is a very good rule, and he did the test trying to destroy the rule, which he wasn't able to achieve. See 10:00mins.

We do not control mother nature, so we can never predict if there will be rain under 7 degrees or not.

So I can only disagree with your comment with what we cannot control (which is raining and low climate temperature, or wet areas when we drive anywhere and don't expect that wet segment)

We do not control mother nature, so we can never predict if there will be rain under 7 degrees or not.

So I can only disagree with your comment with what we cannot control (which is raining and low climate temperature, or wet areas when we drive anywhere and don't expect that wet segment)

There is nothing magical about 7C, and people should stop spreading that crap. It's all about chances of snow that doesn't melt (depends on how warm the ground is), morning ice from yesterdays melt freezing overnight. In general, once major snow accumulation melts away it's pretty safe to ditch the winter tires.

If you have Ice&Snow winter tires (Michelin Xi3 etc) swapping at 7C is stupid, because they lose hard to all-seasons, 'performance' winters, and summer tires, even in the wet. If you have performance winters, changing at 7C is probably fine, those 'performance'/Euro winters are like all-seasons anyway.

What that test should've tested but didn't is the effect of tread depth. Most summer tires have quite a bit less depth. It's almost certain that most of their summer tire wet underperformance in 0-7C is due to not giving them a few minutes of warm and less tread depth. So, one should examine their own tires they are considering swapping for, and use the ones with the deepest tread if wet grip around 0-7C is very important.

So:
Have nordic winter tires (Xi3, Hakka R's etc)? -> ditch those as soon as chances of deep snow/ice are low regardless what you're switching to

Have performance/euro winter tires? -> probably okay to wait until weather is nice enough, unless you're swapping for all-season. In the latter case swap as soon as major snow melts away

Have all-seasons for winter? Swap for summers once it gets warm to ditch your coat for walking outside.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Yragorn
If you have Ice&Snow winter tires (Michelin Xi3 etc) swapping at 7C is stupid, because they lose hard to all-seasons, 'performance' winters, and summer tires, even in the wet.

It'll depend on the specific winter tire obviously, but when Edmunds tested this a while back, winters beat the hell out of all seasons in wet (non freezing) weather for stopping and handling.

Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer | Edmunds

In wet (above freezing) temps the winter tires stopped almost 35 feet shorter than all-seasons.

Obviously summers do even better (significantly above freezing anyway)