Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When traveling, do you bother with trying to find hotels with EV charging? Can you depend on them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The data block on Tesla's screen used to show destination charging. I don't see it anymore. We have resorted to calling ahead and asking but you have to get the front desk and not a reservationist. Since we make reservations as we approach anyway, it works to call and check then reserve. If you plan several weeks in advance this may not be the best option.
Using your phone sometimes 'destination charging' or 'Tesla charging' are listed under 'Amenities' or 'More Amenities'.
In Tucumcari, NM we were told that the hotel next door had destination charging but we could use it. Strange. It was actually a Supercharger in the parking lot of the hotel next door. Such is EV life at this stage.

Do you have the "one lightning bolt" selection enabled? It shows Destination charging. ("Two lightning bolts" enables showing Tesla Urban and also some EVgo w/Tesla connectors. "Three lightning bolts" enables showing V2 and V3 Superchargers.)

The data block on Tesla's screen used to show destination charging. I don't see it anymore. We have resorted to calling ahead and asking but you have to get the front desk and not a reservationist. Since we make reservations as we approach anyway, it works to call and check then reserve. If you plan several weeks in advance this may not be the best option.
Using your phone sometimes 'destination charging' or 'Tesla charging' are listed under 'Amenities' or 'More Amenities'.
In Tucumcari, NM we were told that the hotel next door had destination charging but we could use it. Strange. It was actually a Supercharger in the parking lot of the hotel next door. Such is EV life at this stage.
What Tucumcari hotel has a limited access supercharger? The only supercharger in Tucumcari appears to be at the Holiday Inn and is open for any Tesla to use. According to Plugshare, the Blue Swallow Motel has two Tesla destination chargers (not superchargers). Whether you can use them would be up to the motel, of course.

I find plugshare to be the best source for destination chargers as it covers more than Tesla chargers.

However, your point about calling ahead is spot on. Too often, hotel chargers are broken and calling ahead can save you from a bad situation.

What Tucumcari hotel has a limited access supercharger? The only supercharger in Tucumcari appears to be at the Holiday Inn and is open for any Tesla to use. According to Plugshare, the Blue Swallow Motel has two Tesla destination chargers (not superchargers). Whether you can use them would be up to the motel, of course.

I find plugshare to be the best source for destination chargers as it covers more than Tesla chargers.

However, your point about calling ahead is spot on. Too often, hotel chargers are broken and calling ahead can save you from a bad situation.

I don't think he was saying that access was limited, but that the hotel clerk next door thought it was a destination charger, not a supercharger. I've had the same thing happen to me. People who don't drive electric don't really know the difference.

You are absolutely correct that plug share is a great help.