Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question that applies to those who already Tesla vehicles.

What are some things you value most in your Tesla that you miss when you are traveling and you don't have the option for driving a Tesla in the place you are visiting?

Said another way, what things do you value in your travel that you believe would be enhanced if you were able to drive a Tesla once you have arrived at your destination you reached in non-Tesla means of travel?

Since I am away from home this week, in a rented VW Jetta (18,000 km), I can tell you the worst thing about going back to an ICE is the lack of smoothness in acceleration (never mind the lack of acceleration itself, and I've heard that Jettas are relatively quick cars). The engine feels like it's always struggling, and I have to put an inordinate amount of effort into marrying what the transmission is attempting to do with what the engine is doing so we don't become a car full of head-bobbers. It's horrible. Including the feels-like-5-minute-delay throttle response, really is less than one second. But when you're used to instant...

A whole bunch of minor things.
- no regen braking, and the gearing is so weird I only tried manual shifting once. So I'm resigned to using the brakes all the time.
- every time we stop at a destination I have to sit and think for 5 seconds what I have to do: oh yeah, turn the car off. Lock it (5 times now I haven't locked the car). Haven't left it running yet, though.
- that background not-growl, not-purr, more like rattle of the engine running, along with the vibration it causes throughout the car.
- side mirrors don't auto-change downwards when reversing
- small interior; not horrible, just less space than we're used to
- no GPS. However, that's what smartphones and Google Maps is for so it hasn't affected our navigation.
- smaller car with shorter wheelbase, so bumpier and less comfortable ride

I was apparently "upgraded" at the rental counter and some of the bells and whistles in the Jetta approach what I have in the S - cruise control, auto wipers, auto headlights, backup camera (the lines don't bend with the front wheels turning though). The car is meeting our needs just fine, but it's not enjoyable.

That's all that comes to mind.

Reactions: gregoryg
- Smooth and quiet, emmission-free ride
- By far the most comfortable car I've ever had (maybe it just fits my butt perfectly ;))
- TACC in the stop-and-go traffic and EAP on long stretches of the road are very helpful to relieve the fatugue (and eliminate the road rage).

Most important though, the car is built around the driver (to me anyway) and is a sheer joy to drive!

Reactions: dedicatedtek