Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When VIN is assigned how long before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is usually built the week the VIN is assigned. The VIN assignment means the parts are available to build the car, and it is in production. Depending on where it is being delivered, it will normally take up to two weeks after it is built to be delivered. With truck driver shortages, who knows. Delivery to the east is usually by train for the long part, and then truck to dealer. There are instances where Tesla has assigned the VIN, and then removed or reassigned the car to someone else after it appeared in an account. The delivery date is updated when VIN is assigned, and my date changed a couple of times prior to delivery after the VIN was assigned.

The car is usually built the week the VIN is assigned. The VIN assignment means the parts are available to build the car, and it is in production. Depending on where it is being delivered, it will normally take up to two weeks after it is built to be delivered. With truck driver shortages, who knows. Delivery to the east is usually by train for the long part, and then truck to dealer. There are instances where Tesla has assigned the VIN, and then removed or reassigned the car to someone else after it appeared in an account. The delivery date is updated when VIN is assigned, and my date changed a couple of times prior to delivery after the VIN was assigned.
Thank You! Great info

Reactions: Alex Philips

My VIN was assigned on 11/14 and then my original deliver window was set to 11/18-11/20. My SA also told me that "It takes about 3-5 days to get a car from the factory" (this is in Seattle area).

Not really lol

I got my VIN then delivery date text all in same day. Picked up my tesla 4 days later and I’m in Canada

Not really lol

I got my VIN then delivery date text all in same day. Picked up my tesla 4 days later and I’m in Canada
"Usually"..."Depending on where it is being delivered...." Your car was probably built and another customer refused delivery, or the car was reassigned from another order. No way the car could be BUILT and delivered in 4 days to Canada, unless you used SpaceX for delivery. :)

"Usually"..."Depending on where it is being delivered...." Your car was probably built and another customer refused delivery, or the car was reassigned from another order. No way the car could be BUILT and delivered in 4 days to Canada, unless you used SpaceX for delivery. :)
Haha, I was told the VIN is assigned for Canadians when it clears customs and is now in Canada on route to dealership for inspection

Not source code but shows up on account

When Tesla builds the car, the vin is assigned and put physically in several places on the car when produced. There is no way to assign the vin physically to a car at the border. It is also assigned to an order to be shipped to a customer at a destination. Perhaps there is a delay is posting to an account online until the car clears customs, but the vin was assigned to that order before customs.

Last edited: