TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When was AP2 released on the X & are all P90D's & P100D's AP2 ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Tes La Ferrari, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Tes La Ferrari

When was AP2 released on the X & are all P90D's & P100D's AP2 ?

2. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

October 2016, and no (the P100D came out one quarter before AP2.0).

• Like x 2
  3. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

You'll find more AP1 P90Ds than you'll find AP2 P90Ds. The reverse is true for P100Ds; but @MIT_S60 is right, there is an overlap on both.

• Like x 1
  4. Tes La Ferrari

I see - so there is AP1 P100D's out there too . Learned something new! Thanks

• Like x 1
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Right. The 100D I believe is the first battery size guaranteed to have AP2 HW.

• Disagree x 1
  6. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Lucky me. My x was a 2016 90 and has AP 2. Delivered Dec 19.

7. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

My 60D does too. It was an odd duck for a while. Discontinued 60D, Latest AP2 hardware, AP1 software....

• Like x 1
  8. Tes La Ferrari

That’s pretty unusual. Didn’t know there were any 60d ap2 x’s

9. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

There was a very small window of overlap. MX60Ds were discontinued at the end of September 2016, but if you ordered for a non-immediate delivery (back then you could delay for 3 months) then the order went in as a MX60D with AP1.

But in October, they retooled the factory to build all cars as AP2. So if you were in order queue and by the time your car was built and delivered, they just software limited the cars to a 60D and AP1 and given the opportunity to upgrade both the battery and to EAP

So basically any last batches of MX60D ordered in Sept would’ve had AP2. And heck if you were ordered the very last week and delayed as long as possible, it ended up as a 2017 MX60D with AP2. Which isn’t supposed to exist

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Tes La Ferrari

So Oct 1/2016 onwards was the start of ap2 for all x’s? Is it safe to say that no ap1 x or s was produced after oct 1/16?

11. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I don’t know the exact cutoff, but it was supposed to be all cars after Oct 2016. So I think it’s a pretty safe bet to say at least all cars with a build date of Nov 2016 onwards had AP2 hardware (but possibly AP1 software)

12. Tes La Ferrari

If they had ap1 software but ap2 hardware, they could still upgrade with updates to the same ap2 software as current right ?

13. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

That’s correct - or that used to be correct. I don’t know if the policy has changed. It used to be - pay the difference to activate.

14. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

Yep, all Models S & X. I remember it well, because it was announced one month after I took delivery. :(

15. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I remember it well since the entry level price of the X jumped from $74k to $84k (when the X60D was discontinued and the X75D was the entry X), but the entry level S was still $66k (for the S60). It made it an easier choice between the S and the X for some of the Model 3 reservation holders.

16. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

All 100D (no P) is AP2 however.

@Tes La Ferrari

Is there something you are looking to achieve or general curiosity?

Side camera prescence is the easiest way to tell if a car is AP2.

• Like x 1
  17. Tes La Ferrari

Yes... it’s the gear head in me trying to learn about new interesting rides. After driving one when my S was at the SC for warranty work, the more I learn about the x - a vehicle I wasn’t very fond of initially - the more I like it...to the point where I’ve been possibly, gently exploring the idea of adding an X to my S at some point. I also like the Performance Model 3 too

Thanks for all the info - you guys are great!

• Like x 1
  18. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

The X is the sex. There’s so many levels of win in just one picture.

It’s not going to be the best choice to go countrywide towing a trailer but just has fantastic mission flexibility.

B7C4A11A-F62E-4474-BC1C-EB51B13A253E.jpeg

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Look at you! You dipped your toe in and now you’re pulling like a pro. Next step is to buy a matching trailer. :)

We added the X to our S and we definitely use it a lot more and grown to appreciate it. The S drives better, looks better, but the X is a pretty great daily driver. We drive it 3x more than our S currently. I also dream of a day where I’d be able to tow my sons car to the track, and then proceed to beat him in the car I towed him there with.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. Tes La Ferrari

I'm curious - do you find you drive your X more because it's better to drive than your s?