Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When was the last time you charged your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time I charged was 3 weeks ago. I charged to 80% and now I have about 76% left.

I'm not leaving the car plugged in because there's no need, I'm not going anywhere, haven't touched the car in 4 weeks.

you should at least drive around the block. That poor car! Odd that you don’t leave it plugged in but maybe that’s your experiment during this. Mine is this shitty beard...

Just remember, the BMS doesn't balance the cells unless the state of charge is >=85%. So I've been leaving my car at 90 percent and letting the BMS do it's thing.

I think the BMS is always working, but it will not reset the displayed range unless you do one or more deep discharge-charge cycles. So the >85% thing only matters for displayed range! That could be totally wrong, but that's what I've gotten from a bunch of battery threads here and elsewhere.

I mean is there a legit reason to leave it plugged in if you just make sure the battery is within the optimal charge range (20-80% or whatever)?

Honestly I don’t even know anymore. The general thought is a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla
The source is the manual for this car. On the North American English 2020.4 version, it is on page 155 at the beginning of the "About the Battery" section

About the Battery

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

Reactions: Matsayz
The source is the manual for this car. On the North American English 2020.4 version, it is on page 155 at the beginning of the "About the Battery" section
Yeah basically what the manual says is to plug it in to avoid battery going too low. What I'm saying is there no point to keep the car plugged in all the time if you're making sure the battery is within the optimal percentage (20-80).

Yeah basically what the manual says is to plug it in to avoid battery going too low. What I'm saying is there no point to keep the car plugged in all the time if you're making sure the battery is within the optimal percentage (20-80).

also from the manual right after what was posted above.

“Note: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary.”

Presumably leaving it plugged in will pull shore power instead of from the battery during system tests and recharging the 12v. Legit reason=less use of the battery ..maximizing battery life?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsayz
In regards to this part, "The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

I interpret the "preserve the Battery" part as preserving the life (health) of the battery and not the charge level. For that reason, I say keeping the car plugged in is the smart way to go.

To be clear, this is just my opinion - I am not stating it as fact.