Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When was the Month that 2022 model delivered in 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order window falls in end of September to end of October. I am wondering if I am going to have 2022 or 2023 model.

Can anyone received 2022 model in 2021 share your experience, like when did you receive it?

Thanks!

Based on how VIN's are assigned and when the cars are delivered, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on the sequence. A Model 3 LR order placed 5 months ago and just delivered could have a 297xxx or 300xxx VIN while a Model 3 Performance ordered 1 month ago would have a 245xxx or 273xxx VIN. Someone suggested Tesla produces in batches. I suspect there's some method to their madness. They might have certain color exterior/interior rolling chassis racked up and VIN'd and then when the propulsion/suspension configuration comes in, they swap in the parts and off the vehicle goes.

My 2022 VIN was delivered around Thanksgiving 2021. I ordered mid-October, but times were a little shorter then. I was quoted end of December as the original delivery date.

I missed out on the new AMD but the console USB ports support data and controllers which is a win to me.

Reactions: D1229
Tesla doesn't do "model years" the way conventional auto makers do. Improvements are rolled out when they're ready. So the "year" may change in the fall but that has no bearing on the actual physical changes with the car.
Model years are important for some aspects of the car:
  • VIN 10th character indicates model year.
  • Regulated equipment is based on model year.
  • Regulated characteristics (range and economy for EVs) must be associated with model year.
  • Production cannot start before the calendar year that is the model year minus 1 and cannot continue beyond the end of the calendar year of the model year. I.e. production of 2022 model year cannot start before 2021, and cannot continue beyond the end of 2022.
Presumably the regulated characteristics associated with model year was why they switched to the 60kWh LFP battery exactly on the 2022 model year, rather than having an extra regulatory bucket for 2021 with 60kWh LFP battery or 2022 with 55kWh NCA or LFP battery.

However, stuff like Premium versus Global headlights, USB data ports, Intel Atom versus AMD Ryzen, 12V battery type, OEM tires that all offer similar range and economy, etc. do not impose as big of an extra regulatory burden if changed at different time from a new model year. Since these are not explicitly advertised on the web site or elsewhere, there is also less of an issue with complaints about getting a less desirable variant (although it seems that Tesla underestimated how many buyers care about Premium versus Global headlights).

Tesla is not unique in doing running changes at times other than new model years.

Tesla doesn't do "model years" the way conventional auto makers do. Improvements are rolled out when they're ready. So the "year" may change in the fall but that has no bearing on the actual physical changes with the car.
Definitely. With the Model X in March 2018 they upgraded from MCU 1 to MCU2. Huge difference in response a performance. If you got your car one day you got the older slower MCU1. The next day you got MCU2. I was happy the X I ordered was not ready until May.