TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When (what % of charge) does charging restart, if it all?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RayK, Jul 16, 2018.

1. RayK

RayK Member

Left my car charging overnight using the UMC plugged into a 120V outlet; 5 miles per hour charge rate. The charging stopped at my preassigned limit (90%) around 2AM. Due to the assumed vampire drain, the car has lost 4 miles of range since. My question: when does charging resume, if it does at all, when there's no slider adjustment for setting a minimum state of charge? Is there a set default % limit (that appears to be unchangable), or is it a certain amount of loss from the maximum that causes the recharging to restart?

2. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

On my car I schedule charging to start at 11:30PM to take advantage of off peak hours. So I'm assuming that each time the clock reach 11:30PM it'll charge till it hits the limit I set. Not sure what happens if you don't set a time for it to start. I would think that it will resume but not sure at what level it'll start charging again.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Yes it does. Otherwise, the vampire loss would eventually exhaust the battery to zero while your car is plugged in for an extended vacation.

I don't pay attention when it automatically resumes.

If you set at 90%, maybe it resumes when the battery creeps down to 88 or 87%.

4. animorph

animorph Active Member

I use scheduled charging. If the battery is not about 3% below my charge limit it will skip the nightly charge.

• Informative x 1
  5. Blup85

Blup85 Member

This for my MS's as well. needs about 3% lower to kick on charging system (I'm on scheduled charging as well)

• Informative x 1