Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When/where are acceleration increases noticeable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you're drag racing, or if you live in a rural area with straight roads... I'm really coming up short thinking of when/where/why/how people can actually USE the 0.X seconds shaved off the base acceleration of a Tesla. Going 0-60 in 5.2 vs 4.2 doesn't sound like it makes a difference in everyday, practical usage... am I wrong for thinking this?

If you're commuting to/from work or going to the grocery store, etc., at least where I live, I can't think of any time or place where 0-60 in ~5 seconds is doable without being extraordinarily reckless...

Unless you're drag racing, or if you live in a rural area with straight roads... I'm really coming up short thinking of when/where/why/how people can actually USE the 0.X seconds shaved off the base acceleration of a Tesla. Going 0-60 in 5.2 vs 4.2 doesn't sound like it makes a difference in everyday, practical usage... am I wrong for thinking this?

If you're commuting to/from work or going to the grocery store, etc., at least where I live, I can't think of any time or place where 0-60 in ~5 seconds is doable without being extraordinarily reckless...

Yeah I guess it depends on where you live. It almost feels like you cannot live without that acceleration in certain parts of California :(

Practical driving? Not much benefit other than potentially safer merges (think "insert" yourself into traffic) and potential collision avoidance by being able to scoot away from a "situation" (e.g. being rear-ended or side swiped).

Fun factor? :D

As a Roadster driver, I find the acceleration to be extremely useful when merging onto the freeway, as I can instantly match the speed of the traffic in the lane I want to merge into. At stoplights, if there's nobody in front of me, it's just plain fun to accelerate quickly to the 35-mph speed limit. Finally, when turning onto a busy street, acceleration means I can reach the speed of the street quickly and I don't have to wait until the nearest car is half a block away. I wait until there's plenty of room, but it takes less space with a quick car.

Nobody "needs" 4 seconds zero to sixty. But it certainly is useful. Just as very few people really "need" a car, but it's a great convenience.

That sort of acceleration makes negotiating traffic very easy. You can basically go wherever you want if there is a hole in traffic. If you need to get over you just apply a little accelerator and you instantly shoot ahead of the car beside you. Merging is a breeze. If you come up to a light and can get over to a lane with no one in front of you, you can get off the line so fast you can be many car lengths ahead of the car beside you in 1 or 2 seconds which lets you get over as needed to make turns, etc. It just makes everything easier, and it is so effortless. It doesn't feel dangerous or anything like that, and often you don't ever need to even go faster than the posted limit. The fact that you can go from 0 to the posted limit in 1 second much of the time makes it so much easier.

I will also sometimes when there is a good open stretch ahead of me for a block or two launch at a light with full acceleration up to say 40 - 45 mph. You get a huge rush, and usually the cars next to you are barely clearing the intersection you left 2 blocks back.