Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will 100+ KWh battery become available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect delivery of my P90D non L around 16th of september (Tilburg factory, Netherlands). Got my offer to upgrade to P100DL for 20k, but as I found the P90D already ridiculously fast for a SUV, I didn't really need the Ludicrous option. Range is all that matters. DS told me, that if I postponed my decision until after delivery, it would cost me 10k extra and he could not give me an estimation for only 100kW retrofit. Thus essentially giving the L option for 'free' in my situation. So I opted for the P100DL upgrade. DS said that 100kW will be retrofitted around January 2017 and they will upgrade my 90kW battery architecture for Ludicrous, which will be changed again in January for ludicrous 100kW. I do not have to and can not pay Tesla for the 100kW upgrade now though (only for the extra Ludicrous upgrade), as they will give me a separate retrofit bill in 2017.
So even if you decide now to have 100kW installed in Europe, we still have to wait until 2017 before this will happen. At least I can enjoy the unexpected L;)

DS said that 100kW will be retrofitted around January 2017 ... So even if you decide now to have 100kW installed in Europe, we still have to wait until 2017

Another option would be to just wait until the S100D is available and then trade in the S90D for S100D. The S100D will have longer range and faster supercharging than the SP100DL.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk Verified account ‏@elonmusk
@danielringdahl @P100D Glad you like it! I think we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size.

12:03 AM - 16 Sep 2016
1 retweet 10 likes

-----

This really only impacts a Model X towing a large heavy trailer up a mountain and/or other adverse conditions (headwind, cold, rain, super hot, lots of fast driving, frequent changes in speed, etc.). Other than that, it goes pretty far, and SuperChargers will be a lot of places.

Last edited:
so i called and asked about an upgrade .. was told that ( and i have a hard time believing this ) seems the x75D and the 90/100s have a different suspension as because of that they cant be upgraded

The PxxD cars have a different motor setup than the non-P cars. The xxD cars have two small motors and the PxxD cars have a large motor in the back and a small one in the front. The rear wheel drive cars have the same large motor as the PxxD cars.

I've never heard of any differences in suspension, though I wouldn't be surprised between the P cars and non-P cars. Tesla has not allowed upgrades from the small pack to large pack cars, though wk057 did it with an original S60. He put an 85 pack in, turned on a switch if the firmware and the car became a P85.

Whoa. Stopping at 100kWh?!? I wonder if that means all packs will eventually become 100kWh? If they stop there, the need to make other changes to eventually get to (at least) a 400 mile range.

I would guess most batteries won't even be 100. As the other aspects of EV design and adoption continue to evolve we'll have better efficiency, faster charging, and more charging locations.

100 is admittedly a bit of an arbitrary number other than it's conveniently round figure, though it does push closer to the other arbitrarily round figure of ~300mi/~500km range. I believe achieving that kind of range under real world conditions (actual freeway speeds, most fleetwide weather conditions, etc) it's probably the best target for both consumers and manufacturers. More batteries means higher price for consumers and lower volume for manufacturers...

Tesla Model S P100D first performance tests: 567 kW – 760 HP, 0-60 in 2.5s and 1/4 mile in 10.7s

Just yesterday I was reporting to brace yourselves for Tesla Model S P100D videos as the car has been seen awaiting delivery at some Tesla stores. Well, it didn’t even take a day. The first video of Model S P100D first performance tests is out courtesy of DragTimes. A family down in Palm Beach Florida took delivery of one of the first P100D’s in the world, their fifth Tesla, and invited Brooks from DragTimes, a Youtube channel now best known for its Tesla videos, to test the vehicle with his VBox.

He took power reading of 567 kW – 760 HP on the vehicle. Significantly more than the latest Model S P90D with Ludicrous, which we reported had power outputs of just over 500 kW. The car accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds and 0-100 in 6.5 seconds on its first run – confirming Tesla’s own performance numbers and its claim to the ‘Quickest Production Car in the World’ title. Here’s the video of the run:

Most impressively, the car travelled the quarter-mile in 10.78 seconds – beating the latest 10.8 seconds record.

that's still crazy impressive..

Even more impressive when compared to the price of the competition... :cool:

upload_2016-9-16_16-30-13.png

Reactions: Red Sage
A 100D Model X is precisely what I would want right now. Regrettably, I don't think it'll happen before the end of this year: Tesla seems to be doing everything possible to sell lots of cars before the year ends and they just simplified the product line to 75, 90, and P100. Not likely they'd make more changes within 60 days. If I had to guess, they'll start offering a 100D around February.