Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will a ~400-mile Roadster pack become available from Tesla?

When will a ~400 mile Roadster pack upgrade become available?

• by the end of 2014

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • by the end of 2015

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • just before the Gigafactory (2016-2017)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • NOT before the Gigafactory

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • The 1st of Never

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess we've got you both as 2 of the 3 'end of 2014' votes?:wink::smile:

Still have more people who think it ain't gonna happen (5) versus those who say this year (3)....

I'm the third.

Hey, I'm gullible in that sort of way and believe _everything_ Elon promises ;-) The something special this time is that they'll actually meet a commitment. Also, 'become available' like iPhone 6 is 'available', right?

I planned to buy a replacement pack when my Roadster was 7 years old (2017). Today I hope to have got rid of the car before then :crying:

Kevin:

It is unfortunate that you have had a poor experience. We all feel for you.

That being said, most of us love these cars.

This thread is about when a battery pack will be ready.

As far as for me, I believe some time 2-3 years after the so-called Gigafactory is completed.

That will be on or near the expiration of my battery warranty.

Best,

T

I'm the third.

Hey, I'm gullible in that sort of way and believe _everything_ Elon promises ;-) The something special this time is that they'll actually meet a commitment. Also, 'become available' like iPhone 6 is 'available', right?

I think his comment at the shareholder meeting ('we'll get it done this year' or the like) was meant to say that by close of 2014 the company will be offering it, maybe have a handful of the new packs assembled/tested/ready-to-go, and maybe get one or two into cars. People would be able to place an order / schedule it, with whatever lead time is needed. People with a pack replacement agreement would likely be prioritized in the queue. Again, my speculation.

(That said, I voted 2015, anticipating some delay to get there).

- - - Updated - - -

I planned to buy a replacement pack when my Roadster was 7 years old (2017). Today I hope to have got rid of the car before then :crying:

That is most unfortunate. If ~400 mile packs start rolling out end-of-year, at a minimum it should make old packs and parts from them available (e.g., for paid sheet swap if relevant). Or just a new ~400 mile pack for you, full stop.

Since the ~400 mile packs are not available yet, as of this writing the Model S 85 appears to be the only production EV (Roadster included) suited to your anticipated range needs for nonstop driving when accounting for aging of the pack. Of course, if you had to stop, there are a handful of supercharging stations (3 London, 1 Birmingham) in the U.K., and perhaps that is a network you could help to build out.:wink:

Kevin, it might be worth starting a thread in the appropriate sub-forum titled something like "thinking of selling my Roadster to free myself of the battery angst and move on with my life, says my therapist". Some of us (me included) might be interested in "assisting" with that problem by taking it off your hands.

Just sayin'.

Edit: The suggested thread title was an attempt at humor, not intended to be negative. I hope it comes across as such. Cheers.

Last edited:
Kevin, it might be worth starting a thread in the appropriate sub-forum titled something like "thinking of selling my Roadster to free myself of the battery angst and move on with my life, says my therapist". Some of us (me included) might be interested in "assisting" with that problem by taking it off your hands.

Just sayin'.

Edit: The suggested thread title was an attempt at humor, not intended to be negative. I hope it comes across as such. Cheers.
I believe this to be his goal with the negative pr campaign to sell his roadster perhaps even at a profit

Most respondents still feel the ~400 mile pack will be available by/before 2017.

I would imagine the main reason for doubt is in the juggling of all the other priorities and the fact that there has been *some* form of pack upgrade discussion among owners for years now. I think a good chunk of people believe the cell tech is ready now (e.g., same count but using cell type intended for Model X).

In the end, I don't think they were starting from "0" when Elon said they'd do it this year. It may have even been an a live program at that point, perhaps with sharply limited resources ("as time allows"; "after your homework is done":smile:) and no hard delivery date to that point. After all, Google had it's "20% time" (or "120% time", or whatever it is now)...

Most respondents still feel the ~400 mile pack will be available by/before 2017.

I would imagine the main reason for doubt is in the juggling of all the other priorities and the fact that there has been *some* form of pack upgrade discussion among owners for years now. I think a good chunk of people believe the cell tech is ready now (e.g., same count but using cell type intended for Model X).

In the end, I don't think they were starting from "0" when Elon said they'd do it this year. It may have even been an a live program at that point, perhaps with sharply limited resources ("as time allows"; "after your homework is done":smile:) and no hard delivery date to that point. After all, Google had it's "20% time" (or "120% time", or whatever it is now)...

The Model X is late. All available resources will be working on that. I don't think there is any juggling. I don't think Tesla has any 20% time, or any spare time at all.

If you were allocating resources to one of the following tasks which would you choose:
1) getting the Model X delivered sooner
2) getting the Model X falcon doors to work
3) getting the Model X built more efficiently
4) getting the Model X build quality higher
5) increasing Model X production capacity
6) making a new Roadster battery replacement option for a handful of customers who don't actually need it yet

If you answer 6, you are fired.

I want one. It will make a great news story and free PR.
I don't expect it until the Model X production line is humming and they absolutely need it because there is a Roadster that can not move because they have run out of replacement parts.

The Model X is late. All available resources will be working on that. I don't think there is any juggling. I don't think Tesla has any 20% time, or any spare time at all.

If you were allocating resources to one of the following tasks which would you choose:
1) getting the Model X delivered sooner
2) getting the Model X falcon doors to work
3) getting the Model X built more efficiently
4) getting the Model X build quality higher
5) increasing Model X production capacity
6) making a new Roadster battery replacement option for a handful of customers who don't actually need it yet

If you answer 6, you are fired.

I want one. It will make a great news story and free PR.
I don't expect it until the Model X production line is humming and they absolutely need it because there is a Roadster that can not move because they have run out of replacement parts.

Possibly true - but I don't think it's either/or, choose 1 out of 6. All of those things are important. It could be the very last priority on a very long list, but it's *on* the list. And if someone puts in extra time on nights/weekends to work on it I doubt they would be canned for it, provided that it is on the list.

I'm not saying a new Roadster pack is more important than your #1-5 (or anyone else's), or that I would even wish it to be.:smile: Just that no one here can say for sure that zero resources have ever been put on this task before June 2014.

But if someone has good intel that it was never worked on before June 2014 in any way/shape/form, then that would be a useful addition to this discussion.:biggrin:

Heard from a friend with some decent connections to Tesla tonight that he "heard" the Roadster pack should be available in January and that it "may" include a 60kw supercharging functionality... Sounds like myth to me since we've been told that adding supercharging to these is way too much re-engineering and I wonder why they would do 60kw rather than 120kw when the battery is likely to be over 80kwh and perfectly capable of taking in the 120kw supercharge, but maybe there is some hardware on board these that makes more sense with 60kw than 120kw (ie, less re-engineering). He also said the pricing target is $5K

It's totally wishful thinking but sure would be awesome if this ends up being true!

Heard from a friend with some decent connections to Tesla tonight that he "heard" the Roadster pack should be available in January and that it "may" include a 60kw supercharging functionality... Sounds like myth to me since we've been told that adding supercharging to these is way too much re-engineering and I wonder why they would do 60kw rather than 120kw when the battery is likely to be over 80kwh and perfectly capable of taking in the 120kw supercharge, but maybe there is some hardware on board these that makes more sense with 60kw than 120kw (ie, less re-engineering). He also said the pricing target is $5K

It's totally wishful thinking but sure would be awesome if this ends up being true!

You may get a little abuse for rumors on the SC/pricing aspects...entire threads have been dedicated to that kind of wishful thinking.:rolleyes: Not trying to rehash it here, bit lower kw on hypothetical SC functionality is likely tied to the physical architecture and cooling constraints of the Roadster "wedge" (vs. Model S "skateboard"). Connector would have to change. If all that capability were ever offered at that price, demand would be pretty fierce methinks. But nobody wants the pain of getting attached to that idea if it does not come to fruition...:crying:

Returning to the original topic of timing on the ~400 mile pack upgrade, January may be plausible. Our biggest block says by end of 2015, but just a handful say at end of 2014.

Was just talking to the tech manager at Burlingame and he said they know as much as we do. They haven't gotten a word from Tesla even on the operational side of things yet, not to mention the technological aspect.
I personally think Tesla would take this opportunity to upgrade the roadsters to the latest battery technology to be compatible with the Supercharger network. The amount of work required will be significant, but there are not that many roadsters out there and it's great PR for Tesla