TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

When will AP use map info?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricTundra, May 3, 2016.

1. ElectricTundra

I'm using 'will' in two ways; when will AP use map info when I'm currently using AP or when in the future will AP begin utilizing map information.

It doesn't seem to use any map info now except perhaps to tell if you're on a divided road or not? And to know if you're taking an exit from a motorway? Otherwise it doesn't seem to have a clue that a sharp curve is coming up or that you DO NOT want to follow the car that just drove off the road in front of you but instead stay on the road driving straight ahead (yes, that happened to me yesterday but I took over quickly so no problems).

2. Kristoffer Helle

It uses the "map" to brake down in corners

3. ElectricTundra

I have never experienced it doing this. The closest is once in a corner it will sometimes slow slightly and make it through but most often determine that it's going too fast, beyond its ability to handle the situation, and require me to take over immediately.

Does you're begin braking prior to a corner so that it's going an appropriate (or too slow) speed?

4. tanner

tanner Active Member

I've noticed service cars I've driven (w/ AP) have braked before - the middle of the corner and then accelerated through the last part of it.

5. ElectricTundra

I've never experienced this and I use AP daily on a wide variety of roads.

6. tanner

tanner Active Member

It didn't happen through every corner, and certainly not the sharp ones.