Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will at least 8 out of 10 major markets have a Model X for test drives?

When will at least 8 out of 10 major markets have a Model X for test drives?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Florida and have not configured yet. (I have no plans to configure until I have had a good opportunity to drive the car.) In response to this morning’s email, I have scheduled a long drive to Dania Beach for an approximately 15 minute test drive at the end of March.

If you click on the Schedule Now button on the email, it links to:
Meet Model X | Tesla Motors
Test drive times are available every 15-30 minutes.

The tour list includes several locations in California. I don’t know circumstances control the ability to schedule a test drive (e.g., whether you have not configured, live in a particular location).

weird, every time I clicked on RSVP for Denver it responded that the event is only open to reservation holders. Now when I click to RSVP it says
RSVP You have already scheduled a test drive. If you would like to cancel or reschedule your test drive, please call (888) 518-3752.

And furthermore, when I call the number to ask about my seeming new reservation for the event, the nicest young lady said it was probably an error, she cant find me in the system and the event probably has "sold out" since I last checked (1 hour ago). She also asked about the email I received (none received, I just found the web address independently).
Between you and me, I can't imagine that there are enough current reservation holders who have not configured to fill up a 4 day event open from 9 to 5 each day in the Denver market for 15 minutes a pop. that's 4 an hour, 32 per day, 128 people.
I am like others beginning to disbelieve the party line responses others have heard from delays, to cars sitting in hometown SC waiting on parts, to you name it.

Last edited:
So I just called and its booked for every date in the whole country! LOL... Booked up in 20 mins for every date and time. So I guess I get to drive it when I pay... So crazy... If anybody booked a time in Burbank for the 11th of Feb and I can be their guest that would be awesome!

Talk about BS! And how many res holders are out there who have not configured? not that many I believe. And why would they lock out those who have configured already? Because we are locked in to either a 5K or 40K commitment....

Total BS! Makes no sense to not let a person who is getting their car within 6 weeks to not be on that list to test drive. 150k I'm spending on the waiting list 3 years (as of Feb next month) and I didn't even get the email... Crazy

I understand the reasoning - they probably only have one car, so there's a very limited number of people they can accommodate, and they're focusing on the ones who haven't confirmed yet in order to sway them. They don't have to sway us, we already made a commitment and they'll get our money. It's the smartest move from a business point of view, although I can't help but feel insulted that as someone who made a leap of faith and showed a lot of trust in them, I'm not getting the courtesy that the less committed people are getting.

I understand the reasoning - they probably only have one car, so there's a very limited number of people they can accommodate, and they're focusing on the ones who haven't confirmed yet in order to sway them. They don't have to sway us, we already made a commitment and they'll get our money. It's the smartest move from a business point of view, although I can't help but feel insulted that as someone who made a leap of faith and showed a lot of trust in them, I'm not getting the courtesy that the less committed people are getting.

Well put. I understand but I'm disappointed.

Talk about BS! And how many res holders are out there who have not configured? not that many I believe.
You can believe whatever you want, but you have no reliable data to base your conclusion on. Tesla knows the number, exactly, and obviously has decided that these events will be helpful for X reservation holders who have not yet configured. And since all the events booked up fully almost instantly, obviously there are plenty of people who have decided the event is worth attending. So Tesla did the right thing by setting up those events.

Talk about BS! And how many res holders are out there who have not configured? not that many I believe. And why would they lock out those who have configured already? Because we are locked in to either a 5K or 40K commitment....

There are probably a lot more than you think. I know of several here on TMC and the TM forums and that is a small subset of the overall number of reservation holders. I am one.

I applaud those that configured with never having seen an X 'in the flesh'.

*disclaimer: I would probably have taken one (Sig 604) without a test drive IF it had folding second row seats. But, I digress.

The survey is now moot. Tesla has announced a Model X Tour by Geo that will offer Model X Order holders (Only order holders). Some have already received the email invite and schedule. They start on the January 29th and will conclude at the end of March. It seems apparent you have await the email to RSVP. Keep an eye on the email folders.

The survey is now moot. Tesla has announced a Model X Tour by Geo that will offer Model X Order holders (Only order holders). Some have already received the email invite and schedule. They start on the January 29th and will conclude at the end of March. It seems apparent you have await the email to RSVP. Keep an eye on the email folders.

I was told from Tesla corporate that it filled up in 10 mins. The whole US Tesla tour. There will not be another email. There is no waiting. The rock concert is sold out.

Exactly how I feel. Rep points for you. I e-mailed an ISR about it but am not optimistic. My wife really would like to see it up close before we put down the rest of that $120K (ish).

OK, apparently *a lot* of Model X reservation holders across North America who have not confirmed their orders yet got invited to the event. It is not fully booked for all slots/locations (the Fremont event was booked really quickly, but there are still spots in other areas). But if you have confirmed your Model X order, you will not be able to RSVP. That's the deal (as I understand it, anyway). Priority is being given to those who have not confirmed yet to try to finalize more Model X orders.

If you want to get on a wait list for your area or be notified about more Model X test drive events, it's a different URL from the one above. Go to this page:

Thank You for Your Interest in the Meet Model X Tour | Tesla Motors

And fill out the form.

If you are logged into the Tesla web site and have *NOT* confirmed your Model X order yet, you have a shot of being able to confirm a date/time so give it a shot and let us know if you have any luck. This is the page for those who have not confirmed their orders yet to RSVP:

I filled out the form to get on the wait list (on the first link above) but am not optimistic. I believe there are about 64 total slots in Manhattan over the 4 day period, plus a few more in Long Island a few days later, so some of these should still be open. But I'm not sure they'll stay open.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I was told from Tesla corporate that it filled up in 10 mins. The whole US Tesla tour. There will not be another email. There is no waiting. The rock concert is sold out.
Not sure that is true. I think the original Fremont event filled up quickly, but there are still slots for the nationwide event in some markets. But I did confirm that priority is being given to those who have *NOT* confirmed yet. So if you haven't confirmed your X order yet, and want a test drive, try your luck at:

If you *HAVE* confirmed your Model X order and want to get on the wait list for a local event (or find out about a future Model X test drive event), go to:

And fill out the form.

UPDATE: "MorrisonHiker" just confirmed his appt for the event in Denver, so it's definitely not completely full yet...

Model X Test Drive Event, Page 5

Last edited:
If that is true then there must be a lot of reservation holders waiting to configure

Mark Spiegel (known short) claimed in comments to a WSJ article that only 25% have ordered, based on his reading of the forums. I replied that even if that were true, it's pretty amazing so many people would be willing to order a $100K+ car without driving or in many cases even seeing one.

OK, apparently *a lot* of Model X reservation holders across North America who have not confirmed their orders yet got invited to the event. It is not fully booked for all slots/locations (the Fremont event was booked really quickly, but there are still spots in other areas). But if you have confirmed your Model X order, you will not be able to RSVP. That's the deal (as I understand it, anyway). Priority is being given to those who have not confirmed yet to try to finalize more Model X orders.

If you want to get on a wait list for your area or be notified about more Model X test drive events, it's a different URL from the one above. Go to this page:

And fill out the form.

If you are logged into the Tesla web site and have *NOT* confirmed your Model X order yet, you have a shot of being able to confirm a date/time so give it a shot and let us know if you have any luck. This is the page for those who have not confirmed their orders yet to RSVP:

I filled out the form to get on the wait list (on the first link above) but am not optimistic. I believe there are about 64 total slots in Manhattan over the 4 day period, plus a few more in Long Island a few days later, so some of these should still be open. But I'm not sure they'll stay open.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure that is true. I think the original Fremont event filled up quickly, but there are still slots for the nationwide event in some markets. But I did confirm that priority is being given to those who have *NOT* confirmed yet. So if you haven't confirmed your X order yet, and want a test drive, try your luck at:

If you *HAVE* confirmed your Model X order and want to get on the wait list for a local event (or find out about a future Model X test drive event), go to:

And fill out the form.

UPDATE: "MorrisonHiker" just confirmed his appt for the event in Denver, so it's definitely not completely full yet...

Model X Test Drive Event, Page 5
I have fully reserved and configured, and confirmed 1/11/16 for 90D as my signature below, and heard the same shpiel from the national phone number, yet I was able to also secure a test drive for one of the coveted spots in Denver at 2 pm MT today for the March event, despite being told no on web page, and no by the phone number, but "sure" by a local connection....who also told me that they delivered a red sig x today and have not had any fit/finish/2nd row motor, FWD sensor issues on the deliveries they have. Does make me wonder then why @Reeler's red sig is still sitting in the penalty box at the pre-delivery warehouse here in Denver, of which my contact knew nothing about that red sig delay....

I have fully reserved and configured, and confirmed 1/11/16 for 90D as my signature below, and heard the same shpiel from the national phone number, yet I was able to also secure a test drive for one of the coveted spots in Denver at 2 pm MT today for the March event, despite being told no on web page, and no by the phone number, but "sure" by a local connection....who also told me that they delivered a red sig x today and have not had any fit/finish/2nd row motor, FWD sensor issues on the deliveries they have. Does make me wonder then why @Reeler's red sig is still sitting in the penalty box at the pre-delivery warehouse here in Denver, of which my contact knew nothing about that red sig delay....
That's a good tip... to call the local store, particularly if you have contacts there. Not an option for me in NYC today though (we're expecting over 2 feet of snow and have already gotten more than half of it, so I doubt the Manhattan or Syosset locations were even open today). Only emergency vehicles allowed on the streets right now. But we'll be OK: plenty of milk, bread, eggs (and beer). And what's the deal with that? Does everyone make French toast when disaster looms?
-CB