Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will AU have Autopilot on par with the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just to catch up with where it is now would be good. I've got the Roadster on order but to have that arrive 12-18 months behind the US might make me not bother wiring the balance when the time comes.

Anyone any ideas? I see they tout this year with a big asterix. I'm holding buying off because it might be years...
You will be holding off forever. We get hardware after most other markets are satisfied (eg model 3). We get software after most other markets are satisfied, and in any case our government boffins have refused to permit certain features from a couple of years ago.
So if you are waiting for parity, you will never buy a tesla. Indeed the dollar might get back to parity first. If you are waiting for FSD, you will be waiting a very long time.
The good news though is that tesla software updates are free, so we do eventually get the features that our government allow, so you get to enjoy an insane car until then.

Yeah, it's a great car, I had an S for 3 years but got bored that it didn't get much smarter from an Autopilot perspective so sold it. I kept the 3 order (which I haven't followed through on) and the deposit on the Roadster.

I'll wait and see how much the Gov restricts the innovation from coming here over the next year or so. I see the SpaceX thrust package never happening, period.

Do you mean FSD? Autopilot, as in autosteer, is similar in AU to US but we don’t have some features like NOA which can navigate and change lanes. Our summon also requires ‘deadman’ security not required in all other places.

To me these would be insignificant in purchasing a roadster which is all about being the most affordable mass production supercar in the world.

If you are referring to the SpaceX thrusters these are likely not usable on public roads anywhere and should be limited to closed tracks/roads.

As draconian as that sounds it's exactly my motivation for holding onto ap2.5!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but steering and brakes on tesla are already able to be turned off with software, regardless of your version of AP. Notice how you use these to play games? Further, tesla have twice made updates on my cars without asking first, so if the nanny state says you cant drive then you wont be.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but steering and brakes on tesla are already able to be turned off with software, regardless of your version of AP. Notice how you use these to play games? Further, tesla have twice made updates on my cars without asking first, so if the nanny state says you cant drive then you wont be.
My car doesn't have the hardware for fsd. Plus I don't actually think the nanny state will ban driving it will ultimately just raise taxes on car ownership until it is unviable. Tax is their usual preferred method of coercion!

I have been wondering if I will regret not buying FSD at the bargain basement price earlier this year as Elon threatens to raise the price by $1000 a month. In the end ut was not my lack of faith in Tesla but my lack of faith in Australian regulators that held me back. I suspect Australian regulators will hold us back for years.