Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will be 3rd batch invitation to Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get used to the waiting, even once you do get to order. It's now 34 days since I finalized my config and paid. I haven't heard a single thing from Tesla beyond the order confirmation email. Zilch. Pretty weird and stretching my expectations around a "4-8 week" delivery....

My best guess (this is what I'd do as Tesla and with their config's available). Ship the cars to a holding center in Ontario. Fit the wheels as needed before delivery. Make a huge event as the official "Canadian Launch" for PR and get the free social media marketing that they've been rolling on from happy customer.

My guts tells me there are hundreds of M3s somewhere in the GTA waiting for paper work / rebates / VIN registration.

My best guess (this is what I'd do as Tesla and with their config's available). Ship the cars to a holding center in Ontario. Fit the wheels as needed before delivery. Make a huge event as the official "Canadian Launch" for PR and get the free social media marketing that they've been rolling on from happy customer.

My guts tells me there are hundreds of M3s somewhere in the GTA waiting for paper work / rebates / VIN registration.

Yeah that makes sense. What worries me is they still need to contact me to sort out finance and trade-in. It doesn’t seem smart to leave that stuff until the last minute as surely it can drag out? I figured they’d have called me just on those topics by now.

At a dea

At a dealer most of this is done in couple of hours. So 3 or four days lead time should be fine.

Yeah I suppose so. I guess the long-distance trade specifically has me worried - I’m in Ottawa with no dealership so hopefully they have a slick and fair process. I assume it will have to involve a third party assessor which might add time.

Probably worrying over nothing but they could up their game with at least some “we haven’t forgotten you” comms on some of these topics.

Yeah I suppose so. I guess the long-distance trade specifically has me worried - I’m in Ottawa with no dealership so hopefully they have a slick and fair process. I assume it will have to involve a third party assessor which might add time.

Probably worrying over nothing but they could up their game with at least some “we haven’t forgotten you” comms on some of these topics.

I talked with a Delivery Adviser on Monday a bit about trade-ins and being in Ottawa. In general, he said they do most of it remotely (by completing information online, etc.). They may ask you to do a "self-evaluation" with photos, etc, and then they will submit to "auction" online and see what offers they get. They might in some cases ask for an in person evaluation by a pro.

In terms of actually getting the vehicle to them, it could be any one of:
- bring it with you when you pick up the Model 3
- the "buyer" picks it up "locally" after you get your Model 3
- you deliver it to a local location after you get your Model 3

Of course, it could all "change" and be dependent on various factors.

I talked with a Delivery Adviser on Monday a bit about trade-ins and being in Ottawa. In general, he said they do most of it remotely (by completing information online, etc.). They may ask you to do a "self-evaluation" with photos, etc, and then they will submit to "auction" online and see what offers they get. They might in some cases ask for an in person evaluation by a pro.

In terms of actually getting the vehicle to them, it could be any one of:
- bring it with you when you pick up the Model 3
- the "buyer" picks it up "locally" after you get your Model 3
- you deliver it to a local location after you get your Model 3

Of course, it could all "change" and be dependent on various factors.

What makes my case more complex is that I have a Nissan Leaf to trade in. I don’t know if they could sell that before my delivery.

What makes my case more complex is that I have a Nissan Leaf to trade in. I don’t know if they could sell that before my delivery.

There will always be a buyer for any vehicle, at the right price. What you should prepare for is the lowest $$$$ you’ll accept, and think REALLY low.

Meanwhile probably a good idea to list it for sale now, which is what I’ve done. It’s pretty much guaranteed the trade value will be significantly less than you’ll get in a private sale, even with tax allowance.

Reactions: 03DSG
There will always be a buyer for any vehicle, at the right price. What you should prepare for is the lowest $$$$ you’ll accept, and think REALLY low.

Meanwhile probably a good idea to list it for sale now, which is what I’ve done. It’s pretty much guaranteed the trade value will be significantly less than you’ll get in a private sale, even with tax allowance.

A quick check related to my vehicle suggests around 25%-45% is likely what I would get on trade in compared to private sale.

They auction the car to a reseller -- so it won't matter much what vehicle it is, they will simply offer you a price, and then you can decide to take it or not.