Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will cars chauffeur us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0744.JPG

To me, this would be the holy-grail of autonomous driving: being chauffeured in the back seat so that I can use the countless hours spent commuting/traveling long-distances by pulling out a tray table and getting work done on my laptop or taking a nap while being whisked to my destination.

Would love to hear everyone's predictions on when we might be able to do that from both a product availability standpoint (can buy cars that allow FSD while sitting in rear or have similar tray tables/reclining seats in front) and a legal standpoint.

I wonder if we'll need to wait for full L5 autonomy to be allowed this as that likely won't occur until later in 2020's or if regulators/automakers will allow this with L4 vehicles which shouldn't be more than a few years away now.

Put me down for 10 years minimum, 20 years probably more likely, and no guarantee any of us will see it in our lifetimes.

The problem went from looking ridiculous to merely impossible, and everyone (especially investors and the press) got really excited. But barring some harrowing series of secret advances by someone (Google?) I suggest restraining your expectations to "mass transit mode" solutions, where certain cars can get to higher levels of autonomy on certain (carefully curated) roads, with standards bodies and collaboration between govt and industry required.

That, we could have with today's technology. Or in other words, as soon as govt and industry decide to act.