Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Chademo adapters be available again??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my model 3 performance and I live on Oahu where there are no superchargers, plus my condo building doesn't have dedicated parking so I need to rely on charging stations scattered through town. I understand that in order to realistically make this work I'll need a Chademo adapter (right?) but they're out of stock with no estimated day when they'll be available again. I'm worried my car will be delivered (6-10 weeks from now) and I'll have no practical way of charging it.. Sort of depending on this Chademo adapter to become available again before my car is delivered. Does anyone have an idea of when that might be? Are there alternatives? I clearly don't know much about electric car charging...

I just ordered my model 3 performance and I live on Oahu where there are no superchargers, plus my condo building doesn't have dedicated parking so I need to rely on charging stations scattered through town. I understand that in order to realistically make this work I'll need a Chademo adapter (right?) but they're out of stock with no estimated day when they'll be available again. I'm worried my car will be delivered (6-10 weeks from now) and I'll have no practical way of charging it.. Sort of depending on this Chademo adapter to become available again before my car is delivered. Does anyone have an idea of when that might be? Are there alternatives? I clearly don't know much about electric car charging...
Looking for local level 2 J1772 chargers is one option, another is the third-party Setec/Lectron CCS1 adaptor. Most stations that have Chademo at this point also have CCS, and the latter is increasingly the industry standard. The Setec adaptor has a weakness of not being first-party and being a little flaky, as well as being annoyingly limited to 50 kW by the car software on M3/Y and the newest Model S, despite many CCS stations offering >100 kW, but it has the advantage of being available right now:

Discussion of the current state of the adaptor and experiences with it are here:

Hopefully, once Tesla releases the first-party CCS1 adaptor they've been promising in Korea they'll bring it to the US and offer a first-party CCS charging solution, but that's only promised as "second half of 2021" for Korea, with no US date, and if they're only as good at keeping a CCS1 adaptor in stock as they are today with Chademo...

Upvote 0
I agree with @e of pi; you may be able to get by with public J1772 EVSEs or buy the Setec/Lectron CCS adapter. The latter is slightly less expensive direct from Lectron (the US distributor) than from Amazon:

I've got one, but I've only used it only once for a test charge. (It worked fine that once, though.) My impression is that most, but not quite all, of the compatibility kinks have been worked out.

If you prefer to avoid a third-party DC fast charging adapter, I don't know of a way to tell when Tesla will have the CHAdeMO adapters in stock again. There is an "e-mail me" link on the product's page to be notified when it comes back in stock. If you use that, pay attention to your e-mail and jump on it as soon as you get a notification, since the adapter tends to go out of stock quickly. You might also check with your local Tesla store; it's conceivable they have some in stock. Another option is to check on eBay for a used one, but when I just did, I found that the prices were quite high; apparently it's a buyer's market, thanks to Tesla's poor stock situation. Also, if you go this route, be sure you get a US-spec version. Tesla uses different charge ports in different markets. For a while, the CHAdeMO adapter was popular in Europe, but a European-market CHAdeMO adapter won't work for a US-market Tesla.

Reactions: kayak1 and e of pi
Upvote 0
I guess it is time to sell mine. I haven’t used it since about five years ago. It is one of the first ones Tesla offered back in 2015 but us still in the original box and has been used about four or five times back in 2015, but not since then.

It still stays in my frunk, just in case, but the case does not happen any more for me.
Several Hawaii Superchargers should happen!

Reactions: MichaelStad
Upvote 0