Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Fremont get 4680 structural battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live on the west coast so will likely get a Model Y from Fremont. I hear that Austin will start producing MYs with the 4680 structural battery pack in early 2022. Are the same changes being planned for Fremont, and when will Fremont also start producing MYs with the 4680 battery pack?

I live on the west coast so will likely get a Model Y from Fremont. I hear that Austin will start producing MYs with the 4680 structural battery pack in early 2022. Are the same changes being planned for Fremont, and when will Fremont also start producing MYs with the 4680 battery pack?
The original plan seems to have been for Austin to begin solely with 4680 / structural packs (which also enable both F+R megacasts and save 440lbs of weight).
Fremont would follow. Both factories would build the same vehicles until Austin fully ramped up, then Austin would be primary location for MY.
4680 is delayed, so plans have adapted.
There are massive stacks of front megacasts outdoors on the Fremont lot. Clearly seen on Fremont Flyover drone videos.
That's a clear indicator that 4680 / structural packs will be used there, soon as possible.
There's a backup plan for use of 2170 battery packs with the F+R megacasts, saving 200lbs weight, and that might happen but Tesla seems to be waiting for 4680.
So maybe 4680 is close enough for Tesla to wait it out.

At the 3rd Qtr Earnings call, VP Engr said they plan to trickle out some chassis in early Q1 22 but ramp up won't be until later.

ONLY TESLA KNOWS what is going to happen, and when. All else is speculative. The internet blogs are nothing better than speculation.
This posting is opinion. YMMV

At the quarterly earnings conference Tesla said end of Quarter for small quantities. They were talking about Austin, but I believe this applies to Fremont also.

At the quarterly earnings conference Tesla said end of Quarter for small quantities. They were talking about Austin, but I believe this applies to Fremont also.
Look, everyone knows the new magacastings and 4680 batteries were not originally designed and built in the Austin Texas plant. With that being said there is that very slim chance that you could see a MY2.0 come out of Fremont at the same time. California is where this entire concept and engineering came from. Everyone so badly wants their Tesla Model Y to come with the #11 VIN "A" but wouldn't it be a complete shocker if the first 4680 Megacast Y's came out of Fremont! 🤯

The original plan seems to have been for Austin to begin solely with 4680 / structural packs (which also enable both F+R megacasts and save 440lbs of weight).
Fremont would follow. Both factories would build the same vehicles until Austin fully ramped up, then Austin would be primary location for MY.
4680 is delayed, so plans have adapted.
There are massive stacks of front megacasts outdoors on the Fremont lot. Clearly seen on Fremont Flyover drone videos.
That's a clear indicator that 4680 / structural packs will be used there, soon as possible.
There's a backup plan for use of 2170 battery packs with the F+R megacasts, saving 200lbs weight, and that might happen but Tesla seems to be waiting for 4680.
So maybe 4680 is close enough for Tesla to wait it out.

At the 3rd Qtr Earnings call, VP Engr said they plan to trickle out some chassis in early Q1 22 but ramp up won't be until later.

ONLY TESLA KNOWS what is going to happen, and when. All else is speculative. The internet blogs are nothing better than speculation.
This posting is opinion. YMMV
Indeed to all that. What’s more, I don’t regard this report of one million batteries warehoused as a positive. 50 million might be OK. One million sounds like production rate isn’t anywhere near it should be even to cover early couple months of ramp up at Austin, let alone a switchover at Fremont.

Reactions: Terminator857

Indeed to all that. What’s more, I don’t regard this report of one million batteries warehoused as a positive. 50 million might be OK. One million sounds like production rate isn’t anywhere near it should be even to cover early couple months of ramp up at Austin, let alone a switchover at Fremont.
I regard this report of '1 million batteries warehoused' as BS clickbait, a distraction genned up by a blog.
No one outside Tesla knows, and Tesla ain't telling.

We all get to find out together.
I love that we have idiot drone operators flying over Kato Road, thinking they're gonna see anything. All they see is Elon smirking, "I'm OK with the drones".

But Tesla wouldn't be building 2 $5B factories, telling the world they 'have enough to meet production plans', and making prototype SEMI's if there was too much risk.
I think it's clear that Tesla under-estimated the 'engineering problem' (very Elon much?), but it's sufficiently solved for them to press on.

Reactions: advocate8