Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Metallic Silver be available again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been overdue to post these pictures. This is Xpel Stealth wrap (on Stealth Performance 3) with silver vinyl chrome delete. Wrapping done by Nick Colbern, Colbern's Detailing, Ventura CA. Silver is the BEST. Stealth silver is even better!

vinyl detail.jpg
Front 3 quarters.jpg

I am holding off to order my P3D until it is. It is the most popular color for luxury cars so I have to image Tesla will bring it back.
Tesla dropped the colour option to start with because was, by a good margin, the second least popular Model 3 colour. The least popular was the one I picked, Obsidian Black Metallic, and that's the other one they dropped. Metallic blacks are actually very popular in luxury cars (silver isn't nearly so, in fact it's placement vs the other colours available was generally normal) but not in the Model 3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The later might have been unpopular because it looks too close to the then free Solid Black, thus people concerned that it looked like they were driving the "cheap" Tesla?

Last edited:
Cybertruck is not painted :)

The silver metallic and obsidian black being the least ordered is the reason they were axed. That is a fact.
Is true it made manufacturing simpler because there were few options.
Given Telsa is still at max production it seems, there is no reason to think we will get more options for paint colors or anything else anytime soon.

Good luck special ordering one, that might have lasted for a week or two. When they first took the RWD LR off the menu they said you could special order one, people did waited a long time only to be told they were not going to make them again.

Wanted the silver when was looking at Performance, but most importantly wanted a light color. Got the white -- was expecting to pay a grand more, but as the Tesla roulette wheel turned, the white was free. Two days ago we were parked next to a silver 3 and wife and I both agree: white looked better. For some reason the silver looked "flat". Maybe it was a wrap.

Reactions: Callawayc7
I'm shocked silver sold so poorly, now that more used M3's are available, I'm tempted to buy used solely to get my hands on silver. I've owned a lot of cars and silver always is the easiest color to manage, and given the "futuristic" style of Tesla from a technology perspective, metallic silver seems like the perfect color choice to emphasize this. hopefully they bring it back at some point, but still baffled nobody bought them initially?

I'm shocked silver sold so poorly, now that more used M3's are available, I'm tempted to buy used solely to get my hands on silver. I've owned a lot of cars and silver always is the easiest color to manage, and given the "futuristic" style of Tesla from a technology perspective, metallic silver seems like the perfect color choice to emphasize this. hopefully they bring it back at some point, but still baffled nobody bought them initially?
Well... nobody didn’t buy them. Some of us bought them. But I don’t get it either. Silver is classic and timeless on any sporty car. I think the midnight silver looks terrible and will look dated in a few years. Likewise the blue. Both faddish colors. Silver, red, black, or white for me! Unless there’s yellow or orange someday...

Well... nobody didn’t buy them. Some of us bought them. But I don’t get it either. Silver is classic and timeless on any sporty car. I think the midnight silver looks terrible and will look dated in a few years. Likewise the blue. Both faddish colors. Silver, red, black, or white for me! Unless there’s yellow or orange someday...

Midnight silver is just basically a grey (and almost every sporty car comes in some form of grey), and blue cars have been a "thing" for decades, so not really a fad. Maybe you dont like them, thats fair, color is subjective, but "fad" does not describe something that has been available in some form or another for decades, from many manufacturers.

Reactions: Burrito