Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know the answer why Tesla pushed the updates the way it does but if you think about it, this is not your iPhone OS when Apple is pushing updates to all the phone. This is for a car in which people lives at stake. If for whatever reason some bug is there in the SW only subset of customers area affected, not that Tesla is trying to narrow down the sunset but they have minimize the risk and impact of such scenarios. Just enjoy your car. Remember the days before Tesla. You were stuck with whatever the infotainment software came with your car, no updates whatsoever!!!

How do you guys figure out if you have the latest software? I picked my car 17 days back. I did get a software update and I think it was related to the heat pump. Not sure if due to that I am on the latest version or just an old one plus minor update to heat pump firm ware. What is the current software version? I am on V11 (2021.4.faexxxxx). I have attached the full number.

Attachments

• software version.JPG
    software version.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 80
How do you guys figure out if you have the latest software? I picked my car 17 days back. I did get a software update and I think it was related to the heat pump. Not sure if due to that I am on the latest version or just an old one plus minor update to heat pump firm ware. What is the current software version? I am on V11 (2021.4.faexxxxx). I have attached the full number.

Patience is it. The car will prompt you to update when it’s time. Not all updates apply to all cars, so it’s not really a “yes or no” thing whether you’re on the latest software.

Even moreso, you’ll see that new vehicles tend to have different software release “trains” than older cars. Sometimes it takes a month or two for that first update to show up on brand new vehicles, even though the rest of the fleet Is getting an update.

In your case, you’re on a quote recent version. The software versions are “YEAR.WEEK.REVISION.SUBREVISION”

So 2022.4 is the firmware they branched off on the 4th week of 2022. That doesn’t mean that’s the week it was released, but it’s when Tesla branched it off. For example, my Model 3 is on 2021.44.30.5. That’s still current and will be for quite some time for my exact configuration.

Patience is the key to satisfaction in this department. :)

Patience is it. The car will prompt you to update when it’s time. Not all updates apply to all cars, so it’s not really a “yes or no” thing whether you’re on the latest software.

Even moreso, you’ll see that new vehicles tend to have different software release “trains” than older cars. Sometimes it takes a month or two for that first update to show up on brand new vehicles, even though the rest of the fleet Is getting an update.

In your case, you’re on a quote recent version. The software versions are “YEAR.WEEK.REVISION.SUBREVISION”

So 2022.4 is the firmware they branched off on the 4th week of 2022. That doesn’t mean that’s the week it was released, but it’s when Tesla branched it off. For example, my Model 3 is on 2021.44.30.5. That’s still current and will be for quite some time for my exact configuration.

Patience is the key to satisfaction in this department. :)
Thanks. Patience is no problem. I have not even requested the FSD beta (I purchased FSD with the car) and will do so only when I am fully comfortable with all the controls etc. Because I received an update a week or so ago, I was surprised but I think since I am in Minnesota and the heat pump is a safety issue, they have pushed out the software to everyone.

Reactions: dmurphy
Thanks. Patience is no problem. I have not even requested the FSD beta (I purchased FSD with the car) and will do so only when I am fully comfortable with all the controls etc. Because I received an update a week or so ago, I was surprised but I think since I am in Minnesota and the heat pump is a safety issue, they have pushed out the software to everyone.
Did you car come with v10 or v11 from factory?

You go to Teslafi.com and check what others are getting. But get your version right, you are on 2022.4 not 2021.4. That is pretty much the latest. There are no big updates.

Reactions: 45thParallel

Congrats on the new car! That’s a very, very sane strategy. Getting yourself comfortable first is a good idea - Autopilot takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it becomes second nature. You’re going to love it!

Not necessarily. The original MCU1 hasn’t had an update in quite a while.

I don't think it's strictly an MCU1 issue. Only half of pre-Autopilot (HW0) and original Autopilot (HW1) cars are running that old version, and I have a hard time believing that about half of all HW0 and HW1 have bought MCU2 upgrade, while exactly zero HW2 owners did. Then again, I suppose it is possible that every eligible HW2 user on TeslaFi who bought the MCU2 upgrade might also have bought FSD, and thus been eligible for the HW3 upgrade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But there are definitely a few people on the 2021.x train who have MCU1, so it can't strictly be an MCU1 issue.

My gut says that if you got onto a 2021.x build prior to getting the HW3 upgrade, you stayed on the 2021.x train, and if you upgraded earlier, you got stuck on the 2020.x train, and that folks without HW3 are getting a 50/50 split for some reason. I assumed this would all clear up when version 11 went to general release, but here we are more than a month after version 11 supposedly got "released to everyone", and we're all still stuck on what appears to be a prerelease build of the 2020 holiday update UI with periodic patches. 🤬

You can also track recent releases here….

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

You mean 2022.4 .

Yes, the 2021 was for the navigation and 2022 was for the system software. Clearly for whatever reason I got the latest software within a week of getting the Tesla. Probably due to urgent software push to overcome the heat pump safety issues in extremely cold places.

Late to reading this particular Thread. For people new to all this, as I was a short time ago, will any of this help?

Yes, the 2021 was for the navigation and 2022 was for the system software. Clearly for whatever reason I got the latest software within a week of getting the Tesla. Probably due to urgent software push to overcome the heat pump safety issues in extremely cold places.

You are fortunate, I guess. I have heard of new owners waiting for 2-3 months before they started to receive pushed updates. Based on that, I hypothesized that the new car software builds, characterized by somewhat out-of-the-ordinary numeric designations, installed at the factory were intended to stay with the car for several weeks while the car went through a "burn-in" period, like other sophisticated electronic equipment with onboard computers. In that way, if there was a hardware glitch soon after delivery, Tesla Service would be working with a base software version with known new-car characteristics.

All that is just speculation, and clearly not always true.

Your experience suggests that new cars do not always have to retain the factory installed software for lengthy periods.

Late to reading this particular Thread. For people new to all this, as I was a short time ago, will any of this help?
Thanks for the link to TeslaScope. I had only been looking at TeslaFi. TeslaScope is even more demoralizing.

Most Vehicles The software update with the most vehicles currently is 2020.48.35.5 842a95863251. 1489 vehicles (11.64%)

But at least now I don't feel quite as bad about being stuck on the 2020.48.37.x branch for more than a year (and almost four months since the last update on that branch), knowing that some folks are stuck on an even slightly older branch. 😕