Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason there is an assumption by new owners that they are being "left out" while "everyone else" gets the new stuff. That is simply not the case. Tesla sends updates out in batches / waves, determined by themselves internally.

For example, my 2018 Model 3 Performance, with radar, also does not have this latest update that includes disney+ etc yet. it is EXTREMELY common for cars to skip one or more updates.

It makes perfect sense for tesla to both send updates out in waves (because its not an iPhone, if there is a major problem they want to be able to correct it quickly in a device that can kill you if operated incorrectly), and to break things out in batches that make sense to them based on car configuration, perhaps some delineation of internal components we dont know about, etc.

People still post without looking for information first, because thats the way forums operate now (not just this one). "im sure this has been asked before, but it will be faster to ask again and have someone tell me, than look for it, so thats what I will do", seems to be what people do, not just on this topic.

/shrug.

To those just dying to get the next best Tesla update, beware of what you ask for. I got my 2021Model 3 LR in late December and my wife's 2021 Model 3 LR in Feb. No FSD on either one. I set the update to advanced and have left them that way but it's not all roses and butterfly butts. Sometimes it's take a step forward and two steps back on updates. That's with many Company's releases, not just Tesla. if it's working, count yourself good.

Here's the list of all the updates I've gotten starting with the Factory version to today. Note the long wait times.

Red 3 updates.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: CyberGuard
To help, I will throw my stats into the ring:

Took Delivery of MidRange 3 in Jan 2019: Since then:
  • 69 Software Updates
  • Median time between updates: 12 days
  • Longest: 45 days
There's probably a few I missed as I didn't start tracking until a month into ownership and I let teslaFi lapse about a month until I switched to TeslaMate
I got mine August 2018...
58 software updates
18 day average between updates
Longest also 45 days

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
Hello,
My new M3LR today is 9 days old. I took delivery on 8/16.
Software Version on delivery date: 2021.3.106
Software Version today: 2021.3.106

Is this "normal" not to have the latest software on a car that you get?
It seems like my car is like 5 versions behind and I haven't gotten any notification about any updates being available.

And yes the car has plenty of time in the garage with available WIFI.

Any idea what is going on and how I can get the 2021.24 software version?
This post should help

Reactions: Mark57
So i just picked up Yesterday and am on 2021.3.106 , i get that i can get a update faster. But i dont see any other that are on that version 2021.3.106?

Assuming you are "not" on TeslaFi, it looks like there are two others on that factory build version.

No sweat. Tesla updates are like bowel movements. Occasional long intervals in between but can be very exciting when the do come or very messy, or both.

MYP.jpg

So i just picked up Yesterday and am on 2021.3.106 , i get that i can get a update faster. But i dont see any other that are on that version 2021.3.106?
Another LR on 2021.3.106 here. When I picked up the car 3 weeks ago, I changed the update setting to 'advanced' and it did an update immediately (coincidence?) before I even drove it out of the Tesla delivery center. Anyway, it was last on 2021.4.18.1 before it updated to 2021.3.106 a couple of weeks ago.

• Informative
Reactions: MBx4
To help the myriad of posts currently landing asking the same basic questions.
Slightly tongue in cheek but moderately within the realms of possibly being factual in as far as anyone can prove otherwise.
Patent Pending Twiglett expectation guidelines for when software updates arrive. OK, not actually patent pending, but still expectation guidelines.
  • No, there is no way to predict when your car will get an update
  • No, you aren’t being picked on because you got the lowest cost car or the most expensive one, in fact....
  • No, just because you paid for the (currently) most expensive car you won't get updates faster.
  • No, setting “advanced” probably won’t get the update faster, setting it to standard may or may not slow it down.
  • No, 7 days isn’t too long between updates. Actually you may have to wait 4-6 weeks in some cases, even if you’ve selected advanced.
  • Yes, sometimes you can get a new update on consecutive days
  • Yes, sometimes there can be many, many newer versions than your car has. I’ve sometimes seen 12 releases newer than installed on my car.
  • No, Tesla aren’t wasting time working on games, they have game developers just for that.
  • No, Tesla aren't wasting time on "feature X" - they're probably doing it because someone asked.
  • My cars average time between updates is 13 days, max is 42 days from 87 updates - YMMV
  • My cars average install time from discovery is 3 days, max is 14 days - YMMV
    • My car has had updates installed on the day of discovery 19 times out of 87 updates.
  • No, getting angry about it doesn’t speed up the install date, neither does being patient, its just that applying patience really helps you deal with it.
Added update versioning for good measure.
Updates are currently formatted year.week #.branch.version - usually, so 2021.4.21.3 is
Year 2021
Week # 4
Branch/Version 21
Sub version 3
2021.24 is initial release of that week. 2021.24.3 is the third version of that week release etc etc
That does mean that a newer week # doesn't necessarily mean it has all the updates included in the week before, especially if they are close. This can happen with version # as well.

I'm sure there are more but my fingers are getting tired.
[edit] Mods please feel free to change the post title if you like ;)
Obviously, the first number is the year the release was STARTED. In the case of 2021.4.xx means the 4th week of the year. The current release is 2021.24.4. It was released a couple of weeks ago. Some may have gotten 2021.24.3 which was the first release for the base code of 2021.24.0 (Disney+). The .3 and .4 means Tesla changed/updated something in the code from the base release of 2021.4.0. During the release process, there can be delays in releasing the SW version such as problems with the release, testing and other fixes in the SW modules that are being changed simultaneously, etc. So one may see release numbers out of order being installed (FSD Beta and other Early releases have their own sequence numbers. If you are not in the ER program, ignore those). Additionally, there are model versions of each release for Models and their variants -- base model, changes introduced on the ass'y line, component (parts) changes, etc. So my Raven Model S with active Suspension would have different software than a model with standard Air Suspension. If you go to https://ev-fw.com/track-reports.php you can see the latest updates by Date reported by a subset of owners, as well as their Models, AP 1,2, and 3, Dates, This is data is "crowd sourced" collected from owners that choose to report what they have just installed. Although not 100% of what's installed, over the last 3 years I found it helpful to set my expectations of where my Tesla SW version is relative to the fleet and what I can expect for my model by providing an insight to what others with the same model report as installed. Hope this is helpful, and relives some anxiety. Sorry for the long explanation.

Reactions: Airgetlam and MBx4
I read that 2021.24.4 is the latest update which started in early August.
I have 2021.12.25.7.

Why have I not received the message to update my system? One of the features “car wash mode” does interest me.

It takes time. Tesla rolls out software in “waves”. Not all cars get software updates at the same time, and in fact, not all cars get every version.

We have two Teslas; one got the 2021.24.3 update. The other got 2021.24.4 over 2 weeks later.

Just be patient and it’ll arrive soon!

Hello,
My new M3LR today is 9 days old. I took delivery on 8/16.
Software Version on delivery date: 2021.3.106
Software Version today: 2021.3.106

Is this "normal" not to have the latest software on a car that you get?
It seems like my car is like 5 versions behind and I haven't gotten any notification about any updates being available.

And yes the car has plenty of time in the garage with available WIFI.

Any idea what is going on and how I can get the 2021.24 software version?
I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding you can have the service center push the latest update on the car. With this said, when I pick up my car I will check and ask. Has anyone asked the service center when picking up their car able to get the tech to apply the update?

I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding you can have the service center push the latest update on the car. With this said, when I pick up my car I will check and ask. Has anyone asked the service center when picking up their car able to get the tech to apply the update?

They wont push anything newer than what is staged for your car, so you wont get anything newer than whats on it already (the factory firmware).

It's not just "it comes in waves" theory...which is just that. Nobody know WTF Tesla is doing most of the time.

Vision cars have gotten exactly 1 update in the past 8 weeks. Speaking from delivery end of June...to now end of August...21.4.3. All we got was this lousy TShirt...actually ACC went to 2 and battery turned grey, oh, and lane keep assist/emergency turns red on the line now...otherwise..nothing.

They obviously are either continually working to get some improvement to Vision cars and then will release it..or all these radar cars are going to merge to vision only...but who knows..maybe they are just getting some features and Vision is getting hosed until they sort out all the nonsense and bad FSD issues?

I read that 2021.24.4 is the latest update which started in early August.
I have 2021.12.25.7.

Why have I not received the message to update my system? One of the features “car wash mode” does interest me.
Car Wash mode is only for 3 and Y -- not sure why. I have no interest either since I never take my Tesla through a Car Wash tunnel. However, it makes sense for those who do to release the brakes, fold the mirrors and turn off the Windshield wipers. Check you setting in SW and make sure you have it set to "ADVANCED". That will download SW as soon as Tesla polls your car on WIFI. Be sure you car is on a good WiFi network when parked. 2021.12.25.7 was mainly a Language update. Weird numbering, with some minor fixes and now listed new features.