Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
To help the myriad of posts currently landing asking the same basic questions.
Slightly tongue in cheek but moderately within the realms of possibly being factual in as far as anyone can prove otherwise.
Patent Pending Twiglett expectation guidelines for when software updates arrive. OK, not actually patent pending, but still expectation guidelines.
  • No, there is no way to predict when your car will get an update
  • No, you aren’t being picked on because you got the lowest cost car or the most expensive one, in fact....
  • No, just because you paid for the (currently) most expensive car you won't get updates faster.
  • No, setting “advanced” probably won’t get the update faster, setting it to standard may or may not slow it down.
  • No, 7 days isn’t too long between updates. Actually you may have to wait 4-6 weeks in some cases, even if you’ve selected advanced.
  • Yes, sometimes you can get a new update on consecutive days
  • Yes, sometimes there can be many, many newer versions than your car has. I’ve sometimes seen 12 releases newer than installed on my car.
  • No, Tesla aren’t wasting time working on games, they have game developers just for that.
  • No, Tesla aren't wasting time on "feature X" - they're probably doing it because someone asked.
  • My cars average time between updates is 13 days, max is 42 days from 87 updates - YMMV
  • My cars average install time from discovery is 3 days, max is 14 days - YMMV
    • My car has had updates installed on the day of discovery 19 times out of 87 updates.
  • No, getting angry about it doesn’t speed up the install date, neither does being patient, its just that applying patience really helps you deal with it.
Added update versioning for good measure.
Updates are currently formatted year.week #.branch.version - usually, so 2021.4.21.3 is
Year 2021
Week # 4
Branch/Version 21
Sub version 3
2021.24 is initial release of that week. 2021.24.3 is the third version of that week release etc etc
That does mean that a newer week # doesn't necessarily mean it has all the updates included in the week before, especially if they are close. This can happen with version # as well.

I'm sure there are more but my fingers are getting tired.
[edit] Mods please feel free to change the post title if you like ;)

Last edited:
This is the
Lots of info
Radarless still stuck on 2021.4.21.3
anyone in the same system ?
This is the proof that Tesla is moving into mainstream. When you get all the hopeless non-technical people asking questions that have been answered a myriad of times before, but why bother to search ...

Feels like the Internet when it started to be mainstream, Before, relatively few, mostly polite people, NO spam, very few ads. After, there are billions connected and spam and pop-ups, pop-unders and flash and malware and people that can't be bothered to search but they NEED the answers RIGHT NOW... 😥

That said, you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN !!!🤬

Last edited:
Lots of info
Radarless still stuck on 2021.4.21.3
anyone in the same system ?
Heres a link that might help you and almost certainly has the answer to your question

To help, I will throw my stats into the ring:

Took Delivery of MidRange 3 in Jan 2019: Since then:
  • 69 Software Updates
  • Median time between updates: 12 days
  • Longest: 45 days
There's probably a few I missed as I didn't start tracking until a month into ownership and I let teslaFi lapse about a month until I switched to TeslaMate

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
It looks like radar has been removed on both the model S and X as well because I don’t see any mention of radar in the built in safely features.

Hello,
My new M3LR today is 9 days old. I took delivery on 8/16.
Software Version on delivery date: 2021.3.106
Software Version today: 2021.3.106

Is this "normal" not to have the latest software on a car that you get?
It seems like my car is like 5 versions behind and I haven't gotten any notification about any updates being available.

And yes the car has plenty of time in the garage with available WIFI.

Any idea what is going on and how I can get the 2021.24 software version?

• Funny
Reactions: dyau and Gasaraki
The first update seems to take forever.

Incidentally, it seems like it's been about 8 months for me since I've had a software update that's more than just "Minor Bug Fixes" apart from a new game in the arcade. So I don't think you're missing much.

Reactions: GOVA
My car was built in Fremont CA factory 3 weeks ago.
Why wouldn't they install a more recent software?
You wouldn't want to buy an iphone on a way back old version and then being told by apple to wait another few weeks.

When I buy something "new" shouldn't I expect it to be "new"?

My car was built in Fremont CA factory 3 weeks ago.
Why wouldn't they install a more recent software?
You wouldn't want to buy an iphone on a way back old version and then being told by apple to wait another few weeks.

When I buy something "new" shouldn't I expect it to be "new"?
Every time I've bought a phone (or computer, or fitness watch, or other consumer electronics device), it's ALWAYS had very old software on it and it usually takes an update after you turn it on.

A valid complaint that you may have is that Teslas are very slow to take their first update after you buy the vehicle. Without inside information, I can't really speculate why this is, but it is what it is.

It's not really a big deal though. Even once you do start receiving updates on a regular basis, sometimes you are at the beginning of the queue, and sometimes near the end.

The first update seems to take forever.

Incidentally, it seems like it's been about 8 months for me since I've had a software update that's more than just "Minor Bug Fixes" apart from a new game in the arcade. So I don't think you're missing much.
My car doesn't do any of the driver assist functions without "autopilot" being active.
Not even a warning of any kind when getting too close to or crossing lane markers for example.

I can't even set the distance I prefer for cruise control - the option simply isn't there.
I don't know if that has to do with the software version but I feel I only got half of a car.

Then there is that auto dim mirror feature / setting. That would be nice.

While Disney+ does sound nice - I have that on my phone and my tablet so no loss there. But other features that are missing do leave a bad taste

My car doesn't do any of the driver assist functions without "autopilot" being active.
Not even a warning of any kind when getting too close to or crossing lane markers for example.

I can't even set the distance I prefer for cruise control - the option simply isn't there.
I don't know if that has to do with the software version but I feel I only got half of a car.

Then there is that auto dim mirror feature / setting. That would be nice.

While Disney+ does sound nice - I have that on my phone and my tablet so no loss there. But other features that are missing do leave a bad taste

Read the first post in the thread I moved your post to. I moved the post because software updates are not a "model 3" thing, they are a "software" thing and go in the software subforum.

The short answer is "yes its normal, and no there is nothing you can do to speed it up". The first post in this thread from another user lays out what we know about it fairly well, in fact.

Reactions: hcdavis3
And someone is wondering why some new Tesla owners are more likely to ask a question even if it may have been asked before?
There is way too much irrelevant stuff posted that carries simply no value and searching through it is nothing but wasting time.

When I wonder why my brand new M3LR that I got on 8/16/21 has software that is 8 months old (running on 2021.3) rather than the latest software version how does posting a photo of a USRobotics modem help finding an answer?

So far all I could figure out is that apparently Tesla likes playing "update bingo" and even someone telling me they received an update on average every X days isn't helping when you are about 200 days behind on your brand new car.
The part about reading went right above your head, didn't it?o_O

Once again. New delivered Tesla vehicles come with a factory only (not available as an update over the air) software version. All those 2021.x.10y versions are factory builds. It doesn't matter the x is 3 or 4 or whatever else (which means week of build). A couple of months afterwards, you get included in the normal update cycle.

BUT. Tesla does uses a rather uncommon way to do it. They constantly test branches until they decide on a successful build that then becomes mainstream. The last mainstream version is 2021.12.25.7. So far Tesla tried at least two release candidates, 2021.24.3 and 2021.24.4 for the next mainstream update. The .3 seems to have petered out, the jury is still out for the 2021.24.4. it can become the next mainstream build or it may not. No one outside Tesla engineering knows it. I don't, if you have more info, please share with the rest of the class....

In your defense until this year Tesla used to have a more stable release schedule, with a mainstream release each month. This year is different. We had 2 or maybe 3 mainstream releases so far ( I think 2021.4.21.3 and 2021.4.12) defined as releases that are getting to at least 60%+ of the fleet at the same time.

For info on a sample of the fleet go to

for all the statistics that you need.

Also for right now, there is also the new radar-less software that is being tested and integrated so the new 3&Y vision only cars are treated a bit differently from the others at times. At some point everyone will merge on the same trunk but that does not seem to be right now. In conclusion you are NOT behind. You have a 2 week old car. If you don't get an update in 2 months, go to the service center and talk to them (I assume you set the update on advance, otherwise if you are on standard, 2 months is not uncommon for mainstream updates)

And back to the modem AND information question. READ the thread. I was answering to earlier posts referring to a nicer time before the internet became mainstream and people were polite and able to search for the answers instead of demanding them. Just making a parallel with Tesla becoming now mainstream with the same influx of new users that can't have the patience to read and search for information. And thank you for making my point with your post

Now I'm out of my soap box.

For the TL;DR crowd. New cars come with factory ONLY software for which the week of the build is pretty meaningless . Your car software will be updated on Tesla own's schedule. You can't influence it.

Last edited: