Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand this defense of Tesla for crap service.

Why should anyone be patient? Another poster makes a comparison to an iPhone, or a computer, both of which provide the lie to any defense of Tesla. There are Hundreds of Millions of iPhones in the wild, within a week of Apple adopting a new iOS, they usually have 50% adoption rates (with the attendant downloads). Those downloads are in the multi-GB (with MacOS in the 8-10GB range). If Tesla can't handle the load, get a better caching service.

Patience is for the meek. Purchasers of items that cost in the $50-$150K frame have a right to expect that they will be updated to the latest that is released within a fast-time frame.

If you're making Billions of Dollars, there is no excuse for a bad CDN. There is also no excuse for "please wait."

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Car Wash mode is only for 3 and Y -- not sure why. I have no interest either since I never take my Tesla through a Car Wash tunnel. However, it makes sense for those who do to release the brakes, fold the mirrors and turn off the Windshield wipers. Check you setting in SW and make sure you have it set to "ADVANCED". That will download SW as soon as Tesla polls your car on WIFI. Be sure you car is on a good WiFi network when parked. 2021.12.25.7 was mainly a Language update. Weird numbering, with some minor fixes and now listed new features.
Nope.. WiFi has nothing to do with it. I received my last update notification when I was traveling out of town, parked in my sister's driveway. I connected to my phone as a hotspot and did the download. On WiFi/Off WiFi doesn't matter.

I don't understand this defense of Tesla for crap service.

Why should anyone be patient? Another poster makes a comparison to an iPhone, or a computer, both of which provide the lie to any defense of Tesla. There are Hundreds of Millions of iPhones in the wild, within a week of Apple adopting a new iOS, they usually have 50% adoption rates (with the attendant downloads). Those downloads are in the multi-GB (with MacOS in the 8-10GB range). If Tesla can't handle the load, get a better caching service.

Patience is for the meek. Purchasers of items that cost in the $50-$150K frame have a right to expect that they will be updated to the latest that is released within a fast-time frame.

If you're making Billions of Dollars, there is no excuse for a bad CDN. There is also no excuse for "please wait."
Tesla is the only Auto Company that updates its cars features with no cost to the purchaser. Software has to be reliable since it is driving your car. Testing and validations is imperative. As an old song goes "Fools Rush In". My 2019 Tesla has 44 updates/improvements in two years. No other maker does this. Originally, it had no voice commands, no text message reader, no Netflix, Hulu or Disney+ and entirely new (version 10) User Interface. The range is better, its Autopilot now changes lanes (I was part of that Early Release). So maybe in two years or less you will have a different view as you see your 3 month old Tesla improve in ways your never expected.

This is the

This is the proof that Tesla is moving into mainstream. When you get all the hopeless non-technical people asking questions that have been answered a myriad of times before, but why bother to search ...

Feels like the Internet when it started to be mainstream, Before, relatively few, mostly polite people, NO spam, very few ads. After, there are billions connected and spam and pop-ups, pop-unders and flash and malware and people that can't be bothered to search but they NEED the answers RIGHT NOW... 😥

That said, you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN !!!🤬
If Tesla were mainstream they would not have so many active branches. .4, .12 would have been closed down long ago.

The internet was good before HTTP. Archie and FTP along with Veronica and Gopher was just not good enough for everyday folks I guess.

If you buy anything for what it MIGHT do in the future, rather than what it does at the time of purchase, you're a fool. When I placed my order, there was no car wash mode, there was no anything that's been released since. Nor was there any expectation of any of those features. I bought the car because of what it did at the time. You will eventually get these features. Stop acting like an entitled brat.
so agree with ^^this^^
Patience maybe for the meek - but TMC has Ignore 🤣

For some reason there is an assumption by new owners that they are being "left out" while "everyone else" gets the new stuff. That is simply not the case. Tesla sends updates out in batches / waves, determined by themselves internally.

For example, my 2018 Model 3 Performance, with radar, also does not have this latest update that includes disney+ etc yet. it is EXTREMELY common for cars to skip one or more updates.

It makes perfect sense for tesla to both send updates out in waves (because its not an iPhone, if there is a major problem they want to be able to correct it quickly in a device that can kill you if operated incorrectly), and to break things out in batches that make sense to them based on car configuration, perhaps some delineation of internal components we dont know about, etc.

People still post without looking for information first, because thats the way forums operate now (not just this one). "im sure this has been asked before, but it will be faster to ask again and have someone tell me, than look for it, so thats what I will do", seems to be what people do, not just on this topic.

/shrug.
I don't have Disney+ yet either. WAAAA. /s

• Funny
Reactions: Mark57
If Tesla were mainstream they would not have so many active branches. .4, .12 would have been closed down long ago.

The internet was good before HTTP. Archie and FTP along with Veronica and Gopher was just not good enough for everyday folks I guess.
Haha Gopher. I haven't heard that in a long time. Thank you for that! PS I am OLD. 😂 (and did play many hours on my Atari 2600!)

Tesla is the only Auto Company that updates its cars features with no cost to the purchaser. Software has to be reliable since it is driving your car. Testing and validations is imperative. As an old song goes "Fools Rush In". My 2019 Tesla has 44 updates/improvements in two years. No other maker does this. Originally, it had no voice commands, no text message reader, no Netflix, Hulu or Disney+ and entirely new (version 10) User Interface. The range is better, its Autopilot now changes lanes (I was part of that Early Release). So maybe in two years or less you will have a different view as you see your 3 month old Tesla improve in ways your never expected.
That's nice. They advertise this is big bold letters too. It is not updates, or not, that I am objecting to. It is their lack of transparency on how and when, their lame excuses as to delays, and their refusal to answer questions about why they are providing full release features that they tout on social media, only to some of their vehicle purchasers and not others.

I have a right to expect equity with other Tesla owners, or at least to a reasonable explanation of why there isn't equity.

I've never said that I don't expect updates to take time, but riddle me this, why do vehicles purchased after mine have updates to software features that I do not?

Why is it ok for Tesla to enter into a contract, take my money, hit my credit report, and then change the car just before delivery, and not even disclose some of those changes to me? I happen to be ok with those changes, but if you look up the legal definition of a "bait-and-switch" that fits it to a T. You say that when you purchased you didn't have a lot of features, well when I purchased, they charged an extra $10K for FSD, and then delivered a vehicle without the promised features. It took 5 weeks for them to return Advanced Summon because they had also removed radar (which I am actually fine with), without disclosure at time of sale. So they did lie. Not technically, not in a round-about way, but a bald-faced lie about what the car would have at delivery. After waiting weeks, having money taken and paperwork signed, again that is the definition of a bait-and-switch.

**UPDATE: Sorry, Bait-and Switch might not be the most applicable. While it is applicable in some manner, Tesla doesn't deliver in their showroom, so it is partially incorrect. The Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act (UDTPA) is more applicable, but really needs a lawyer to parse the exact regulation they violated**

Last edited:
That's nice. They advertise this is big bold letters too. It is not updates, or not, that I am objecting to. It is their lack of transparency on how and when, their lame excuses as to delays, and their refusal to answer questions about why they are providing full release features that they tout on social media, only to some of their vehicle purchasers and not others.

I have a right to expect equity with other Tesla owners, or at least to a reasonable explanation of why there isn't equity.

I've never said that I don't expect updates to take time, but riddle me this, why do vehicles purchased after mine have updates to software features that I do not?

Why is it ok for Tesla to enter into a contract, take my money, hit my credit report, and then change the car just before delivery, and not even disclose some of those changes to me? I happen to be ok with those changes, but if you look up the legal definition of a "bait-and-switch" that fits it to a T. You say that when you purchased you didn't have a lot of features, well when I purchased, they charged an extra $10K for FSD, and then delivered a vehicle without the promised features. It took 5 weeks for them to return Advanced Summon because they had also removed radar (which I am actually fine with), without disclosure at time of sale. So they did lie. Not technically, not in a round-about way, but a bald-faced lie about what the car would have at delivery. After waiting weeks, having money taken and paperwork signed, again that is the definition of a bait-and-switch.

**UPDATE: Sorry, Bait-and Switch might not be the most applicable. While it is applicable in some manner, Tesla doesn't deliver in their showroom, so it is partially incorrect. The Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act (UDTPA) is more applicable, but really needs a lawyer to parse the exact regulation they violated**
So sell your car.

Why is it ok for Tesla to enter into a contract, take my money, hit my credit report, and then change the car just before delivery, and not even disclose some of those changes to me? I happen to be ok with those changes, but if you look up the legal definition of a "bait-and-switch" that fits it to a T. You say that when you purchased you didn't have a lot of features, well when I purchased, they charged and extra $10K, and then delivered a vehicle without the promised features. It took 5 weeks for them to return Advanced Summon because they had also removed radar (which I am actually fine with), without disclosure at time of sale. So they did lie. Not technically, not in a round-about way, but a bald-faced lie about what the car would have at delivery. After waiting weeks, having money taken and paperwork signed, again that is the definition of a bait-and-switch.
@PorthosJon I Understand your point. However, it is not sequential of date of purchase or by date of manufacture. There are differing updates based on every Model and each Variant of those models -- A model Y Standard range is different SW that a Performance Y and different than a Long Range Performance Y (which was made for only a few months). I understand your desire for more transparency. However, I would suggest should Tesla defined the timing for every vehicle, every MCU, every Auto Pilot (3 or 4), every variant (my S "Raven" is different than a S built two months earlier), same for my Model X Raven (reactive suspension) the process, I'd venture to say the "process judges" would monitor and cry foul that it wasn't followed to the letter of the law (or their interpretation). Admittedly, by cutting new updates, features, cameras, suspensions and other improvements on the line ASAP has caused a SW version complexity to work through. I suggest one considers the alternative that Tesla could have stuck to the conventional "model year" changes and never upgrading cars after purchase. My 2009 Audi A8 was the same until I sold it. To date, Tesla has updated all its S, X 3 and Y's software within the hardware capabilities. Even a 2013 model S got a refreshed Version 10 User interface. To have some reasonable of what is forth coming, I recommend using a sight like https://ev-fw.com/track-reports.php . It allows owners to see what others with similar owners with same models, variants updates are being installed.

As much we all appreciate the updates, both small and large, whether we own the latest Plaid S or a 2013 Model S, there is nothing in the purchase agreement that gives us any right to those updates,. BTW the buyer doesn't OWN the software. Tesla does. That's the same with most software providers,. Consider your PC and Cellphone, we have little insight when Apple or Microsoft or Android or IOS is going to update our devices. Poof! there they are!

Please take my comments as just that... a perspective of my experience that I share with other owners on TMC. Quite frankly, I have stayed away from the TMC site from some time. It was of great value to me in 2016 with my first Model X. I just returned recently trying to assist newer owners to pay-forward those who helped me some years ago. Thanks for your perspective.

Lots of info
Radarless still stuck on 2021.4.21.3
anyone in the same system ?
Agreed and I’m still on the same firmware. In fact I received this firmware the day after 2021.4 was released. I assumed I received the latest firmware but then realized after I couldn’t find car wash mode that it was an older build. I read somewhere that they roll out Cali first and then make there way over to the east coast. I’m in boston, I’m curious to see if anyone over here has received it. Where are you located?

Reactions: Piggyz
Agreed and I’m still on the same firmware. In fact I received this firmware the day after 2021.4 was released. I assumed I received the latest firmware but then realized after I couldn’t find car wash mode that it was an older build. I read somewhere that they roll out Cali first and then make there way over to the east coast. I’m in boston, I’m curious to see if anyone over here has received it. Where are you located?
Located in vancouver. It is true maybe all vision cars stuck in this firmware .

Located in vancouver. It is true maybe all vision cars stuck in this firmware .

There are certainly some radar-less cars testing the 2021.32.5. So this may be the beginning of the merge for the vision only cars. It may take few more days/weeks or maybe another build, but you should be moving towards something new in the very near future

@PorthosJon I Understand your point. However, it is not sequential of date of purchase or by date of manufacture. There are differing updates based on every Model and each Variant of those models -- A model Y Standard range is different SW that a Performance Y and different than a Long Range Performance Y (which was made for only a few months). I understand your desire for more transparency. However, I would suggest should Tesla defined the timing for every vehicle, every MCU, every Auto Pilot (3 or 4), every variant (my S "Raven" is different than a S built two months earlier), same for my Model X Raven (reactive suspension) the process, I'd venture to say the "process judges" would monitor and cry foul that it wasn't followed to the letter of the law (or their interpretation). Admittedly, by cutting new updates, features, cameras, suspensions and other improvements on the line ASAP has caused a SW version complexity to work through. I suggest one considers the alternative that Tesla could have stuck to the conventional "model year" changes and never upgrading cars after purchase. My 2009 Audi A8 was the same until I sold it. To date, Tesla has updated all its S, X 3 and Y's software within the hardware capabilities. Even a 2013 model S got a refreshed Version 10 User interface. To have some reasonable of what is forth coming, I recommend using a sight like https://ev-fw.com/track-reports.php . It allows owners to see what others with similar owners with same models, variants updates are being installed.

As much we all appreciate the updates, both small and large, whether we own the latest Plaid S or a 2013 Model S, there is nothing in the purchase agreement that gives us any right to those updates,. BTW the buyer doesn't OWN the software. Tesla does. That's the same with most software providers,. Consider your PC and Cellphone, we have little insight when Apple or Microsoft or Android or IOS is going to update our devices. Poof! there they are!

Please take my comments as just that... a perspective of my experience that I share with other owners on TMC. Quite frankly, I have stayed away from the TMC site from some time. It was of great value to me in 2016 with my first Model X. I just returned recently trying to assist newer owners to pay-forward those who helped me some years ago. Thanks for your perspective.
Quite good insights I would agree. However a couple of points that I would dispute:
  • By advertising the updates as part of the benefits of purchasing a Tesla, they do actually create a responsibility to provide those updates, although not a schedule. There is a contractual basis that they do need to provide updates.
  • The comparison I was making was, for instance, to a MY LR that has a serial number about 1K subsequent to mine. There can be no structural differences in a car that was produced in the same month and delivered in the same month as my car, so I was comparing apples to apples. I should have been more specific about that.
  • Actually, since the software is part of the purchase price of the vehicle, you do actually own a perpetual, non-revokable, license to use the software. Unlike software on a computer, a EULA for software that would render a car unusable without it (which basically a Tesla would be), would be a breach of the purchase agreement. There is even argument as to whether Tesla can be restricting FSD when it has been paid for. I'm an IT executive, and have yet to actually see a EULA enforced in court, or even tested in court in any meaningful way. While I may not "Own" the software, there is a fairly good argument that Tesla cutting off my access to the software (unless I violated some law about reverse-engineering) would be a total breach of contract.
Your insights have good points, but I would still argue that transparency is the key to solving customer frustration, and the total black on this process creates more. At least for me.

Patience may be for the meek - but rest of us have better things to do and just get on with our lives.

The purpose of this topic was to try help folks understand what was going on with updates - you know helping the community and all that - sadly its now full of useless ranting, thanks for nothing.

• Disagree
Reactions: CapinWinky