Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, that's incorrect. You were on a Wifi network. You said you turned on your phone's Hotspot and connected to it, which is a Wifi network. So, even though your "router" (e.g. phone) was getting to the internet via LTE/5G, the car just sees that it's on a Wifi network and can download updates.

The car will NOT download updates over its internal LTE modem.
Clearly we're talking about getting the update notification, which does not have anything to do with wifi.

Sorry, that's incorrect. You were on a Wifi network. You said you turned on your phone's Hotspot and connected to it, which is a Wifi network. So, even though your "router" (e.g. phone) was getting to the internet via LTE/5G, the car just sees that it's on a Wifi network and can download updates.

The car will NOT download updates over its internal LTE modem.
Note what I actually said. I got the notification for the update without WiFi. Then I knew to connect to WiFi to download the update.

My point was that you do not have to be connected to WiFi to get the notification.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Have you spoken with any at the service center? I don’t have my car yet but would be interested in what they say in situations like yours. I would think they could push an update to any of their cars.

Are you using any filters on your home internet? My Volvo would not get updates because I was using an AD blocker on the firewall.
Might be worth checking. Maybe set your DNS IP to use 8.8.8.8 and connect your car to the Wi-Fi and see if that helps.
SC doesn't control updates. If you can actually get a person at Tesla, they will tell you that they don't know and "wait."

Note what I actually said. I got the notification for the update without WiFi. Then I knew to connect to WiFi to download the update.

My point was that you do not have to be connected to WiFi to get the notification.
Sorry about, that I missed it. I was getting frustrated that after OPs post (that was thoughtful & beneficial...I'd hoped) we were then up to five pages of people asking questions about when they were going to get updates and blah, blah, blah. Turns out I was doing the same thing by not reading your post carefully.

I really think that if people fully read his original post, there was no reason for anyone to add to it. I think one of the first replies was about being stuck still on factory firmware. I mean, UGH!.

Sorry about, that I missed it. I was getting frustrated that after OPs post (that was thoughtful & beneficial...I'd hoped) we were then up to five pages of people asking questions about when they were going to get updates and blah, blah, blah. Turns out I was doing the same thing by not reading your post carefully.

I really think that if people fully read his original post, there was no reason for anyone to add to it. I think one of the first replies was about being stuck still on factory firmware. I mean, UGH!.
The point I had about the OP is that I am not willing to sit patiently and quietly while Tesla decides when the car they sold me hobbled will actually get the features that I paid for.

Reactions: CapinWinky
OP even said he once had to wait, gasp, 42 days!
My simple reply to that Is that I took delivery on June 9, 2021. That was exactly 100 days ago. I have received 2 Updates since delivery. So that would be an average of 50 days between updates. In those two updates, functionality that was sold to me as FSD and advertised with the car that I purchased has not been restored to the vehicle.

This is why I object to defending the crappy, opaque, manner that Tesla deals with updates. My patience is out. Another 30 days and I start looking for attorneys to discuss why a car company is allowed to sell you a vehicle, and then change that vehicle at delivery and not inform me as to why features that I paid for are not available.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Bolt owners discussing lemon laws with attorney's now, but I bet at least one is available.

My simple reply to that Is that I took delivery on June 9, 2021. That was exactly 100 days ago. I have received 2 Updates since delivery. So that would be an average of 50 days between updates. In those two updates, functionality that was sold to me as FSD and advertised with the car that I purchased has not been restored to the vehicle.

This is why I object to defending the crappy, opaque, manner that Tesla deals with updates. My patience is out. Another 30 days and I start looking for attorneys to discuss why a car company is allowed to sell you a vehicle, and then change that vehicle at delivery and not inform me as to why features that I paid for are not available.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Bolt owners discussing lemon laws with attorney's now, but I bet at least one is available.
You are in US and some US state ( I think) allowed FSD, but in Canada Tesla sell advertised FSD ( which not working) and government Canada ( regulators) not allowed FSD yet. That's what Tesla tech told me when I asked him why my FSD not worked.

Last edited:
You are in US and some US state ( I think) allowed FSD, but in Canada Tesla sell advertised FSD ( which not working) and government Canada ( regulators) not allowed FSD yet. That's what Tesla tech told me when I asked him why my FSD not worked.
Level 5 Self Driving is not licensed anywhere yet. But "FSD" as advertised and charged for by Tesla has specific features which were advertised as a capability when I purchased the package, were removed because they moved to "Vision Only" vehicles after I made my purchase, but prior to vehicle delivery. Some specific features as advertised remain non-functional because I don't have the appropriate software updates.

Due to the fact that other cars have the software updates and have this functionality restored to at least a usable/try-able level as advertised, I would expect Tesla to make good on sales promises. I'm not expecting Level 4 or 5 Autodrive, I am expected what they advertised in writing when I purchased my vehicle. Especially since they are able to deliver that to other vehicles that were sold subsequent to mine (as I can see proven by later VINs recording these updates), there is no excuse for them not to deliver to all the vehicles in question.

Reactions: sunfarm
Oh, the entitlement … nah … it is merely venting …
Calling out Fraud is not entitlement or venting. Fraud is defined as:
fraud
/frôd/
noun

1. wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
Representing one thing when you take a person's money, or promising things for a specific price and accepting money at that price, and failing to deliver... Fraud.

Plenty of screenshots of the Tesla site with their claims from April 18, when I reserved & ordered (which included credit inquiries, etc., so a full transaction) my vehicle. Items like

"your car will be continuously upgraded" [emphasis mine, words Tesla's] - which it is not
continuously upgraded.png
"Model Y gets better over time with frequent wireless software updates" - this time not continuous, but still 50 days average (now 52 days) is not frequent
Over-the-air-updates.png
"your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot" - which it does not
Summon.png
"Model Y will alert you to available parking spots by continuously monitoring the space around you while driving under 15 mph." - It has done this once and then parked 22 inches from the curb. Never see the notification for available spots anymore.
Autopark.png
Sentry Mode, which failed to work for the first 1.5 months due to software issues
Sentry Mode.png

Lastly, the listing for the charge and the features provided for that charge (the root of the fraud):
  • Navigate on Autopilot - Works somewhat - valid
  • Auto Lane Change - Works somewhat - valid
  • Autopark - basically non-functional, told to wait for software updates - fraudulent representation
  • Summon - basically non-functional, told to wait for software updates because of un-notified switch to Vision Only - fraudulent representation
"The currently enabled features require..." - Indicates that the features above that paragraph are currently enabled, which they are not.
FSD pricing.png

If there weren't a separate and specific charge for the listed features, I would understand, but when you increase the price of the vehicle by 25%, you have to deliver what you promise. Calling that out is not whining, it is demanding that Tesla uphold their end of a contract entered into for consideration (in the form of $10,000).

Last edited:
Calling out Fraud is not entitlement or venting. Fraud is defined as:

Representing one thing when you take a person's money, or promising things for a specific price and accepting money at that price, and failing to deliver... Fraud.

Plenty of screenshots of the Tesla site with their claims from April 18, when I reserved & ordered (which included credit inquiries, etc., so a full transaction) my vehicle. Items like

"your car will be continuously upgraded" [emphasis mine, words Tesla's] - which it is not
View attachment 711803
"Model Y gets better over time with frequent wireless software updates" - this time not continuous, but still 50 days average (now 52 days) is not frequent
View attachment 711808
"your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot" - which it does not
View attachment 711804
"Model Y will alert you to available parking spots by continuously monitoring the space around you while driving under 15 mph." - It has done this once and then parked 22 inches from the curb. Never see the notification for available spots anymore.
View attachment 711806
Sentry Mode, which failed to work for the first 1.5 months due to software issues
View attachment 711807

Lastly, the listing for the charge and the features provided for that charge (the root of the fraud):
  • Navigate on Autopilot - Works somewhat - valid
  • Auto Lane Change - Works somewhat - valid
  • Autopark - basically non-functional, told to wait for software updates - fraudulent representation
  • Summon - basically non-functional, told to wait for software updates because of un-notified switch to Vision Only - fraudulent representation
"The currently enabled features require..." - Indicates that the features above that paragraph are currently enabled, which they are not.
View attachment 711811

If there weren't a separate and specific charge for the listed features, I would understand, but when you increase the price of the vehicle by 25%, you have to deliver what you promise. Calling that out is not whining, it is demanding that Tesla uphold their end of a contract entered into for consideration (in the form of $10,000).
I wish you luck finding an attorney who won't laugh in your face.

First: welcome to the Tesla family!

No need to stress - this is normal. 1st updates can come quickly (a day or two) or several weeks down the road. Mine came six weeks after delivery and I've heard of later.

You've got a lot of new things to learn on the car: the updates will come soon enough.

Reactions: alexgr
No one can say. Tesla schedule updates in a way that is mysterious and inscrutable. Make sure you’ve connected the car to your home WiFi, and it’s getting a good signal, and one morning you’ll get that update notification.