Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 Long Range this week, however I noticed that I'm still on 2021.11.103. How much time will it be before I get a software update, specifically looking toward 2021.24.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I had no updates for about 3 or 4 months, and it started to feel odd. In the past 2 weeks I had 3 updates. Make sure your advanced update is turned on so you are informed when the new update is available. Considering the major updates are in progress this and next month, I would start to worry if I receive no update after the first week of October. Why? I don't know. That's just me. :)

Reactions: hcdavis3
it is demanding that Tesla uphold their end of a contract entered into for consideration

Serious question; when you picked up the car, did you have to sign an acknowledgement that the vision-only car will have some limited functionality but will be restored over time?

I’ve heard reports that others had to do so to get their cars released …. Just curious if you had to do so as well, or did Tesla miss that step?

Same question here... New Model Y here, just over 1 month in my hands. "Advanced" is enabled, plugged in and on wifi every night.

Still stuck on 2021.3.106 which I assumed was because I (like others) are on the vision only ("no radar") setup. I'm hoping updates start rolling to me soon!

Serious question; when you picked up the car, did you have to sign an acknowledgement that the vision-only car will have some limited functionality but will be restored over time?

I’ve heard reports that others had to do so to get their cars released …. Just curious if you had to do so as well, or did Tesla miss that step?
No for me in Canada nothing was warning and delivery was the same like you guys in US.

Make sure you’ve connected the car to your home WiFi, and it’s getting a good signal, and one morning you’ll get that update notification.
While that is certainly ideal, not everyone can do that. My condo garage is too far away from my router and I was never able to get a decent signal out to my garage. So every single update I've received in the past two years has come via my mobile phone's hotspot while driving.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
No for me in Canada nothing was warning and delivery was the same like you guys in US.
If delivery was same as us in the U.S., then you did have to accept certain terms with vision only cars. I did back in June, had to do it before I could get my VIN. Maybe things were different in Canada.

Me, I'm looking forward to Friday this week for "the button". Not sure if you'll get it Canada yet, but they are testing there now. I'm pretty sure once the full-stack is released all the folks that aren't on the .24 branch will get moved over (possibly to a new branch number). Just a guess though.

There was a disclosure about the car not having radar that I had to agree to, but that document contains nothing about limited Enhanced FSD functionality that was advertised and paid for in the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement.

Also, for those that were pointing out that Tesla makes no promises about updating. Not only are the advertisements on the website, listings in the manual, but in the MVOA Contract:

Obsolete Hardware and Future Firmware Updates. The Vehicle will regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi.

There was a disclosure about the car not having radar that I had to agree to, but that document contains nothing about limited Enhanced FSD functionality that was advertised and paid for in the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement.

Also, for those that were pointing out that Tesla makes no promises about updating. Not only are the advertisements on the website, listings in the manual, but in the MVOA Contract:
Problem is "regularly" is subjective. Is that once a month? Once each quarter? Once each year? Every other year? It's different for everyone and Tesla made no claims as to the frequency. As they should IMO. This is software, in a car, and it needs to be really safe of course.

OK, so since you agreed to not having radar, and the explanation wherein that certain functionality was delayed... takes that off the table. Glad they at least got that part right.

As for FSD functionality - well, that's also listed as "Coming soon" for local roads. And soon appears to be a matter of 2 days at this point at least for some sets of vehicles. So I'd say just be patient - the FSD complaints have been numerous, loud and justified. I, myself, am in 5-figures across multiple vehicles waiting on FSD myself. Excited for it would be an understatement.

Now, as for update promises ... there's no frequency listed. As an IT executive yourself, you understand the nature of software development, especially software that controls numerous ASICs, microprocessors and other controllers in a life-critical environment. Given the current supply chain crunch (which is all too obvious in the IT sector right now) - you can imagine that the focus is on developing integrations with replacement controllers and chipsets to keep the assembly line from closing down.

If you're building a car with 50,000 parts but only one is missing, you have no car at all.

I, also, am in the IT sector. So I greatly appreciate Tesla's efforts in keeping things moving by being nimble and pivoting to what's available on the market, vs. what was in the plan of record.

Yes, it causes frustrating delays for all of us where it looks like nothing is happening, but I assure you, it's just a case of focusing on the critical path behind the scenes.

Totally get the frustration, but I wouldn't conflate it with not caring, incompetency or lying. Simply, this supply chain trainwreck is causing havoc everywhere. I appreciate the tactic Tesla has taken --- swivel and pivot to keep things moving -- rather than, say, GM which is closing factories for weeks on end due to lack of silicon. This is the advantage of vertical integration; if Tesla needs to replace, say, an Atmel chip with a Micron one, they can do so. The 'other guys' can't, since they buy integrated modules rather than develop their own.

TL; DR: I'm not saying your frustration isn't warranted -- it sure is -- but what's going on behind the scenes is barely controlled chaos across the entire tech sector. I can say, without question... my #1 customer (a household name) is struggling in adjusting their business too. This ain't easy!