Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
My new M3LR today is 9 days old. I took delivery on 8/16.
Software Version on delivery date: 2021.3.106
Software Version today: 2021.3.106

Is this "normal" not to have the latest software on a car that you get?
It seems like my car is like 5 versions behind and I haven't gotten any notification about any updates being available.

And yes the car has plenty of time in the garage with available WIFI.

Any idea what is going on and how I can get the 2021.24 software version?
I took possession of model Y August 28 with 2021.3.106 installed. The build date according to the sticker inside the door is 8/21. I made a service appt via the app to get the update. They tried to "push" it through, failed, set new appt. they tried again to push it though, failed. Then they replied "Hi William, this is Jon with the diagnostic team. You are currently on factory islanded firmware which means we will not be able to over ride and manually send any newer firmware updates until engineering updates the package. Factory islanded firmware is when cars are locked in the factory gated firmware package for a short undisclosed amount of time. - Usually around 4 weeks after the car has been delivered."

You need cellular coverage in addition to WiFi. Being plugged in doesn’t make a difference. Vision-only cars get fewer updates than others.
I've confirmed the car will notify you of a pending update with either cell or wifi coverage. Wifi coverage is only needed to download the update after you have been notified one is available and I believe premium connectivity may also allow download of the update.

As far as "Vision-only cars getting fewer updates than others", The majority of cars since mid July have received zero updates in the life of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: RudeDude
It’s very common to wait for the first update.
It was common is having to wait a week or two to get updated from factory to a recent build, though many would get updates inside 24 hours of delivery.

What has never happened before is tens of thousands of cars not getting any updates for two months, the majority of them not having ever had an update. I'm not saying the world is ending and I have high confidence we will all be getting updates by mid October, but this entire community can't help but recognize that this is an unprecedented situation.

Reactions: ankit and Rnldbmw
OK, so since you agreed to not having radar, and the explanation wherein that certain functionality was delayed... takes that off the table. Glad they at least got that part right.

As for FSD functionality - well, that's also listed as "Coming soon" for local roads. And soon appears to be a matter of 2 days at this point at least for some sets of vehicles. So I'd say just be patient - the FSD complaints have been numerous, loud and justified. I, myself, am in 5-figures across multiple vehicles waiting on FSD myself. Excited for it would be an understatement.

Now, as for update promises ... there's no frequency listed. As an IT executive yourself, you understand the nature of software development, especially software that controls numerous ASICs, microprocessors and other controllers in a life-critical environment. Given the current supply chain crunch (which is all too obvious in the IT sector right now) - you can imagine that the focus is on developing integrations with replacement controllers and chipsets to keep the assembly line from closing down.

If you're building a car with 50,000 parts but only one is missing, you have no car at all.

I, also, am in the IT sector. So I greatly appreciate Tesla's efforts in keeping things moving by being nimble and pivoting to what's available on the market, vs. what was in the plan of record.

Yes, it causes frustrating delays for all of us where it looks like nothing is happening, but I assure you, it's just a case of focusing on the critical path behind the scenes.

Totally get the frustration, but I wouldn't conflate it with not caring, incompetency or lying. Simply, this supply chain trainwreck is causing havoc everywhere. I appreciate the tactic Tesla has taken --- swivel and pivot to keep things moving -- rather than, say, GM which is closing factories for weeks on end due to lack of silicon. This is the advantage of vertical integration; if Tesla needs to replace, say, an Atmel chip with a Micron one, they can do so. The 'other guys' can't, since they buy integrated modules rather than develop their own.

TL; DR: I'm not saying your frustration isn't warranted -- it sure is -- but what's going on behind the scenes is barely controlled chaos across the entire tech sector. I can say, without question... my #1 customer (a household name) is struggling in adjusting their business too. This ain't easy!
I understand all of that, except that they seem to be able to update vehicles with my exact configuration without a problem to much newer versions and in multiple steps (as can be evidenced on TeslaFi).

In addition, having me agree to vision only does not take their responsibility for functionality that they sold for $10K off the table as a responsibility at delivery. You made an assumption that the notice says that "certain functionality will be delayed" when it said no such thing. It was simply a verbal note from my SA when I was picking up the car and wanted to test Advanced Summon (that and the cameras had to calibrate first). Note that the functionality that is missing is not the FSD beta, but exactly what they said was already available, and then said "oops, not really" for some Vision-Only cars- they have updated and restored the functionality to others.

I am in the IT industry, and if this was about delivering software to a bunch of customers that had purchased something for $100, that would be one thing. This is about delivering software for customers that have paid $10K (well over the Grand Larceny statute) that they said already existed when I entered into the the contract. They also refuse the answer questions about when it will be delivered and hide behind vague statements and miss their self-set deadlines that their CEO announces publicly.

In addition, I would point out that their own language for FSD says "Constant Updates". Since we are talking about a legal contract, Black's Law Dictionary defines Constant:

What is CONSTANT?​

This term applies to something that is fixed, uniform and invariable.
Tesla's updates are none of the above.

Even if you went to the more relaxed legal language of "Regularly" that is used about software updates elsewhere in the contract, Black's Law Dictionary defines Regularly:

Regularly means and refers to the consistent and repeated doing of the act so described.​

Again, Tesla's updates are not consistent, you can see from this very thread and the near total variation of when updates are sent out.

This is the reason that a lot of companies make zero statements about updates and simply state that you are buying what you get at delivery (which in this case wouldn't even work for me). They don't want to get pinned down on providing transparency into their roadmap and update schedule.

Problem is "regularly" is subjective. Is that once a month? Once each quarter? Once each year? Every other year? It's different for everyone and Tesla made no claims as to the frequency. As they should IMO. This is software, in a car, and it needs to be really safe of course.
As I quoted in another post, regularly is actually not subjective in a legal contract. Legally defined it is:
Regularly means and refers to the consistent and repeated doing of the act so described.
That means that by using that language they cannot give different updates to different people with the same product. There was a consistent history of the way that Tesla performs updates when I entered into my contract. They have failed to live up to the consistency of what they did before.

To my knowledge, 2021.3.104 and 2021.11.101 both have working cabin camera. I know my .3.105 does.
Well then my dashcam's failure to operate is a bug. All the other software bugs seem to have worked themselves out, but the Dashcam selection when you push the Dashcam icon is grayed out. It's not the memory stick, because Sentry mode does work and I can watch the Sentry video on the Dashcam viewer. It just won't record while driving.

I understand all of that, except that they seem to be able to update vehicles with my exact configuration without a problem to much newer versions and in multiple steps (as can be evidenced on TeslaFi).

In addition, having me agree to vision only does not take their responsibility for functionality that they sold for $10K off the table as a responsibility at delivery. You made an assumption that the notice says that "certain functionality will be delayed" when it said no such thing. It was simply a verbal note from my SA when I was picking up the car and wanted to test Advanced Summon (that and the cameras had to calibrate first). Note that the functionality that is missing is not the FSD beta, but exactly what they said was already available, and then said "oops, not really" for some Vision-Only cars- they have updated and restored the functionality to others.

I am in the IT industry, and if this was about delivering software to a bunch of customers that had purchased something for $100, that would be one thing. This is about delivering software for customers that have paid $10K (well over the Grand Larceny statute) that they said already existed when I entered into the the contract. They also refuse the answer questions about when it will be delivered and hide behind vague statements and miss their self-set deadlines that their CEO announces publicly.

In addition, I would point out that their own language for FSD says "Constant Updates". Since we are talking about a legal contract, Black's Law Dictionary defines Constant:

Tesla's updates are none of the above.

Even if you went to the more relaxed legal language of "Regularly" that is used about software updates elsewhere in the contract, Black's Law Dictionary defines Regularly:

Again, Tesla's updates are not consistent, you can see from this very thread and the near total variation of when updates are sent out.

This is the reason that a lot of companies make zero statements about updates and simply state that you are buying what you get at delivery (which in this case wouldn't even work for me). They don't want to get pinned down on providing transparency into their roadmap and update schedule.
I would venture to say that a mitigating factor is their unforeseen need to pivot to different chips and so forth. You keep saying something to the effect of "cars with the exact same configuration" but that's not entirely true, is it? Your car actually has a slightly different configuration than a car built before the shortage, vis a vis the microcontrollers. In addition, even cars built since the shortage began ALSO have different "configurations", it appears, based on the various firmware branches. More than likely due to having to source different controllers again. Finally, quoting dictionary definitions is all well and good, but case law supporting your argument is what you need to cite. Court decisions are based on precedent, not dictionary definitions. Pending suits mean nothing, as well.

Reactions: CapinWinky
As I quoted in another post, regularly is actually not subjective in a legal contract. Legally defined it is:

That means that by using that language they cannot give different updates to different people with the same product. There was a consistent history of the way that Tesla performs updates when I entered into my contract. They have failed to live up to the consistency of what they did before.
Having read your messages for the last few days and you described yourself working in IT and feeling deceived by Tesla, I think you should sell your car and buy something else that will not cause you any aggravation.

As someone who works on large scale software, I understand why Tesla is doing this and waiting to merge everyone on a single stack in the next few days.

… how quickly we become demanding of something we did not know existed earlier. It sounds like in your case, since the lack of update is a huge concern, it would almost be worth the relief in stress for you not to use TeslaFi so that you can remain ignorant of the other people with the update you want. Note: I’m in the same boat as you are re: what I assume is a factory gated car, just took possession of an M3 this month and am a few versions behind so I’m not getting Disney Plus or whatever other weird stuff is updated, but I figure there’s no real incentive for Tesla to delay upgrading me to whatever it is and I’ll get it when I get it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: rohiggidy
I took possession of model Y August 28 with 2021.3.106 installed. The build date according to the sticker inside the door is 8/21. I made a service appt via the app to get the update. They tried to "push" it through, failed, set new appt. they tried again to push it though, failed. Then they replied "Hi William, this is Jon with the diagnostic team. You are currently on factory islanded firmware which means we will not be able to over ride and manually send any newer firmware updates until engineering updates the package. Factory islanded firmware is when cars are locked in the factory gated firmware package for a short undisclosed amount of time. - Usually around 4 weeks after the car has been delivered."
Like you (and others)... I took delivery Aug 17th (5.5 weeks ago) with a manufacture date of August. Also, I agreed to the "No radar" and I do have a cabin camera that I can see in place. Still stuck on 2021.3.106 (factory installed I suppose... week 3 would still be January?) I'm really hoping that your info from Tesla plus more progress on "FSD Version 10" and "public beta) will all mean updates for us "soon".

Like you (and others)... I took delivery Aug 17th (5.5 weeks ago) with a manufacture date of August. Also, I agreed to the "No radar" and I do have a cabin camera that I can see in place. Still stuck on 2021.3.106 (factory installed I suppose... week 3 would still be January?) I'm really hoping that your info from Tesla plus more progress on "FSD Version 10" and "public beta) will all mean updates for us "soon".
It just means that that version was branched off the main software branch in January. It actually has some features that were released mich later. Not the very latest ones thought but at least some from spring.

but other than that, you are right. I am also stuck on 2021.3.106 and it’s annoying.

Reactions: RudeDude