Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got to say, the updated follow distance from 3 cars to 2 has got to be my favorite feature so far. Now I don't look like a jackass on the freeway anymore!
I agree!

My only remaining gripe is that it takes its sweet time speeding up again once the cars in front speed up, but I just give it some juice and it closes the gap and keeps it closed on its own after that.

I've also noticed that it doesn't freak out about a random tiny hill on my commute. It has clear visibility of the road ahead the entire time and I never even noticed it before the car would drop from 40 to 30 when driving over it. Now it doesn't do this. I would also get occasional phantom braking at a specific spot and while I felt a hesitance today, it instantly decided it didn't need to slow down and it maintained speed. Passing cars also doesn't make them disappear and reappear, so we must have the temporal feedback from AI day now. Overall, it is noticeably better at autopilot.

Reactions: TR1GGA187
I agree!

My only remaining gripe is that it takes its sweet time speeding up again once the cars in front speed up, but I just give it some juice and it closes the gap and keeps it closed on its own after that.

I've also noticed that it doesn't freak out about a random tiny hill on my commute. It has clear visibility of the road ahead the entire time and I never even noticed it before the car would drop from 40 to 30 when driving over it. Now it doesn't do this. I would also get occasional phantom braking at a specific spot and while I felt a hesitance today, it instantly decided it didn't need to slow down and it maintained speed. Passing cars also doesn't make them disappear and reappear, so we must have the temporal feedback from AI day now. Overall, it is noticeably better at autopilot.
You are right about that, I do give it a little to catch back up as well.

Reactions: CapinWinky
Anyone with a modely Y still stuck on 2021.11.103? I picked up my car on 9/21 and have had zero updates. We are leaving on our first big road trip tomorrow and was hoping to have dash cam and other updates but it seems that I am still a few weeks away from getting any updates. Not quite sure what this Factory gated thing is. If I buy a new Windows computer, almost the first thing when I begin the configuration process is that it checks for and installs the latest updates. I do not need to use the computer for several weeks or months before I am allowed to update to the latest release.

Anyone with a modely Y still stuck on 2021.11.103? I picked up my car on 9/21 and have had zero updates. We are leaving on our first big road trip tomorrow and was hoping to have dash cam and other updates but it seems that I am still a few weeks away from getting any updates. Not quite sure what this Factory gated thing is. If I buy a new Windows computer, almost the first thing when I begin the configuration process is that it checks for and installs the latest updates. I do not need to use the computer for several weeks or months before I am allowed to update to the latest release.
Yes. I took delivery of my Y on 9/19 and am still on 2021.11.103

Yes. I took delivery of my Y on 9/19 and am still on 2021.11.103
Same here. 9/16 delivery, 2021.11.103 factory software and of course no updates. I saw someone with a later delivery date and they had 2021.11.104. I think these .102/103/104 releases are just different chips sourced and programmed differently to accommodate the supply chain issues. I think we’ll get rolled into the updates once they are updated to accommodate our specific chip’s.

I took delivery of my Model Y with version 2021.11.104 twenty-two days ago. I set Software Update Preference to Advanced. I've received no updates.

I'm looking forward to using the Tesla 4.2.0 app I've updated on my mobile device to make use of scheduled charging improvements and new features like adjusting charging amps.

I was told in a Tesla support chat that I haven't received an update because "there is no newer version than 2021.11 available for my region yet."

1) How does Tesla define a region?

2) Has anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area received an update for their Model Y newer than 2021.11.104?

After that, the way Tesla divides its user base into different waves for software delivery is not 100% clear. Sometimes it's per country, as there are differences like FSD (roads, signs etc are different). Sometimes it's vision-only cars vs everyone. Sometimes they might push something per model? Clearly they might choose to update people that have a known bad software version before everyone else.
What's clear is that it's never a push to everyone at the same time. If nothing else, they will push batches of VINs at a time and monitor to see if everything goes well before continuing. That's normal software update behavior.

People need to understand software updates don’t have any magical properties. They will come naturally and in most cases you will hardly notice or care what they added. If the car would drive off a cliff or shut off they would be updated. They update in small groups so All don’t have a simultaneous issue and create forum hysteria. Give it time, your car will have a fart horn in no time.

People need to understand software updates don’t have any magical properties. They will come naturally and in most cases you will hardly notice or care what they added. If the car would drive off a cliff or shut off they would be updated. They update in small groups so All don’t have a simultaneous issue and create forum hysteria. Give it time, your car will have a fart horn in no time.
So you don't know how Tesla defined regions then. Anyone care to respond to the question posted?

After that, the way Tesla divides its user base into different waves for software delivery is not 100% clear. Sometimes it's per country, as there are differences like FSD (roads, signs etc are different). Sometimes it's vision-only cars vs everyone. Sometimes they might push something per model? Clearly they might choose to update people that have a known bad software version before everyone else.
What's clear is that it's never a push to everyone at the same time. If nothing else, they will push batches of VINs at a time and monitor to see if everything goes well before continuing. That's normal software update behavior.
Thanks, vision only may be a limiting factor. Too bad the Tesla support agent didn't consider this distinction.

To help the myriad of posts currently landing asking the same basic questions.
Slightly tongue in cheek but moderately within the realms of possibly being factual in as far as anyone can prove otherwise.
Patent Pending Twiglett expectation guidelines for when software updates arrive. OK, not actually patent pending, but still expectation guidelines.
  • No, there is no way to predict when your car will get an update
  • No, you aren’t being picked on because you got the lowest cost car or the most expensive one, in fact....
  • No, just because you paid for the (currently) most expensive car you won't get updates faster.
  • No, setting “advanced” probably won’t get the update faster, setting it to standard may or may not slow it down.
  • No, 7 days isn’t too long between updates. Actually you may have to wait 4-6 weeks in some cases, even if you’ve selected advanced.
  • Yes, sometimes you can get a new update on consecutive days
  • Yes, sometimes there can be many, many newer versions than your car has. I’ve sometimes seen 12 releases newer than installed on my car.
  • No, Tesla aren’t wasting time working on games, they have game developers just for that.
  • No, Tesla aren't wasting time on "feature X" - they're probably doing it because someone asked.
  • My cars average time between updates is 13 days, max is 42 days from 87 updates - YMMV
  • My cars average install time from discovery is 3 days, max is 14 days - YMMV
    • My car has had updates installed on the day of discovery 19 times out of 87 updates.
  • No, getting angry about it doesn’t speed up the install date, neither does being patient, its just that applying patience really helps you deal with it.
Added update versioning for good measure.
Updates are currently formatted year.week #.branch.version - usually, so 2021.4.21.3 is
Year 2021
Week # 4
Branch/Version 21
Sub version 3
2021.24 is initial release of that week. 2021.24.3 is the third version of that week release etc etc
That does mean that a newer week # doesn't necessarily mean it has all the updates included in the week before, especially if they are close. This can happen with version # as well.

I'm sure there are more but my fingers are getting tired.
[edit] Mods please feel free to change the post title if you like ;)
Here is my problem with Tesla's update process. When they push a new release to some vehicles the release notes become public. I checked these release notes and say "great, all the features I want are in the latest software, time to buy a tesla"
I buy the tesla to find out that it comes with the software that is 6 months old, no way to get the new release. And the features that I based my decision on are not available. I don't know I will get it, will it always be 6 months behind??
When they release a software they should make it available to everyone, if not they should not release it. Keep it as beta and send it to beta users, who cares.
They have to be fair in their releases.

For some reason there is an assumption by new owners that they are being "left out" while "everyone else" gets the new stuff. That is simply not the case. Tesla sends updates out in batches / waves, determined by themselves internally.

For example, my 2018 Model 3 Performance, with radar, also does not have this latest update that includes disney+ etc yet. it is EXTREMELY common for cars to skip one or more updates.

It makes perfect sense for tesla to both send updates out in waves (because its not an iPhone, if there is a major problem they want to be able to correct it quickly in a device that can kill you if operated incorrectly), and to break things out in batches that make sense to them based on car configuration, perhaps some delineation of internal components we dont know about, etc.

People still post without looking for information first, because thats the way forums operate now (not just this one). "im sure this has been asked before, but it will be faster to ask again and have someone tell me, than look for it, so thats what I will do", seems to be what people do, not just on this topic.

/shrug.
Actually it does not make sense to send official releases in batches. That is what you do with betas. You send betas in batches to whoever you want, if it works on all samples you make it an official production release. Official production release means everyone can get it. It is unfair not to be able to get official releases.

No no, it makes perfect sense. It is exactly how we stage releases in software development for cloud services and web sites. We deploy in small batches and monitor to make sure it doesn't fail before pushing to more. You can test all you want beforehand, it's never foolproof. This way if it fails only a small percentage of users are affected and you can roll back or fix.
Imagine an update pushed to everyone that bricks the cars. You have a million + failures out there. Not good.

What you are saying about betas and release is from the desktop era. Cloud works differently, you just don't see it.

No no, it makes perfect sense. It is exactly how we stage releases in software development for cloud services and web sites. We deploy in small batches and monitor to make sure it doesn't fail before pushing to more. You can test all you want beforehand, it's never foolproof. This way if it fails only a small percentage of users are affected and you can roll back or fix.
Imagine an update pushed to everyone that bricks the cars. You have a million + failures out there. Not good.

What you are saying about betas and release is from the desktop era. Cloud works differently, you just don't see it.
This model has been abused far too long and it’s really turned into poorly tested features rolling out in waves. It’s so very often a means to excuse having good test plans and that rolling out slowly is a way to minimize impact of any potential bugs. I see it almost daily. The intentions are good with the slow rollout approach, but it’s led to just piss poor quality control. It also leads to a lot of customer confusion and complaints when the rollout is more than a couple days, since different users are getting different experiences. It’s fine to do experimental dialup of minor changes to behavior and UX, but if you are taking longer than 48 hours to roll out updates, you are really just abusing the model.

I took delivery of my 2nd model 3 on Sep 20, 2021 with software 2021.11.103. It is 23 Oct and I have not received a software update. When will I get updated? There are several functions in the new software that I need now. My wife’s 2019 model 3 awd has 2021.32.21.