Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2nd model 3 on Sep 20, 2021 with software 2021.11.103. It is 23 Oct and I have not received a software update. When will I get updated? There are several functions in the new software that I need now. My wife’s 2019 model 3 awd has 2021.32.21.
Today I got update 2021.36.5.5. Yeah! Wondering why my range still shows 253 instead of 262 after the update?

Hey everyone,

New model 3 owner here. I was hoping to get some advice regarding software version on the car.

Picked the car up a couple weeks ago, and is still on 2021.35.102 with no updates available and advanced selected.

Issues:
- Have a bug that has been presenting with the stereo where it seems to loose connection to a sub/amp or something, lose all bass and rears (I think). noticed it happens if the car is on for a while and the computer doesn't sleep/shut down. Resolved every time with a hard reset of the car. Annoying but survivable. Experience tells me best option is to upgrade/update the software...
- Live in an apartment, car lives downstairs in parkade. one bar of LTE and obviously no Wifi. I have tried parking and tethering to my phone's wifi for ~20 minutes tot try and see if that would trigger, but still indicates my car is up to date.

Questions:
- The specific software rev that my car is on is vastly different than most of the fleet as shown on Teslafi. Is there any way to selectively change the software version?
- I have heard conflicting information, but is it possible to force the update or anything I can do to trigger?
- Does the car require a persistent Wifi connection to get notified of when an update will be available, or will I simply need to find some wifi when the car is ready to upgrade?
- When downloading/upgrading, is the car usable? IE: Can I be driving around on my hotspot while it's downloading? And is downloading and upgrading separated or is it one "action" where the car will be out of commission until it finishes downloading and updating?

Thanks for your eye time!

This thread already has the answers to most of your questions.
The car is usable while it's downloading an update, but not when it's applying it. It even warns you that it will need 25 minutes. Assume it's 40min to be safe. Choose a time when you don't need it.
The car will notify you of an available update on LTE, you don't need to connect wifi for that. The actual download will not start until you connect wifi though.

EDIT: your sub issue is covered in another thread. It's fixed in some recent update, don't remember the number. Be patient, or don't use Sentry Mode in the meantime.

This thread already has the answers to most of your questions.
The car is usable while it's downloading an update, but not when it's applying it. It even warns you that it will need 25 minutes. Assume it's 40min to be safe. Choose a time when you don't need it.
The car will notify you of an available update on LTE, you don't need to connect wifi for that. The actual download will not start until you connect wifi though.

EDIT: your sub issue is covered in another thread. It's fixed in some recent update, don't remember the number. Be patient, or don't use Sentry Mode in the meantime.
Thanks! I had done a cursory search for previous posts, it didn't point me to this thread though. I had searched "Model 3 firmware update" I think. I had created a brand new thread and it was moved here so didn't get a chance to read through...doing so now.

And thank you for replying about my specific items. RE: Stereo - So it is sentry related, that feels like it makes sense. Only a couple handfuls of drives so far so couldn't fully test it out, but it did seem to happen when I was already out/about and had sentry enabled. I'll keep sentry up and deal with resetting the car for now.

TeslaFi reports that 23% (319) of the MYs using TeslaFi have 2021.32.22. But there's hope, that number went down overnight from 330. I feel for Danzel though, only 10 MYs are still on his version.

LOL saturday, first time iv'e had free time in awhile... I powered it down, reloaded the app on my phone, it forced an update... got excited but. its 36.5.1. better than nothing I guess. I Think it was coming anyways and my reboot didnt matter.

So I got my 3 in September 2021 and I still haven't got the car wash update 2021.24. I'm still at 2021.11. screen says I'm up to date.
Is this normal? I know all Teslas have diverse hardware configurations that require lots of testing. Mine I guess is the 2021 3 with the catl batteries. Hoping the config is not what's causing the delay.