Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 2022.4.5 update yesterday after receiving my car 2.5 weeks ago which came with 2021.39 version. Big upgrade and love it. Honestly I am not missing any features from previous v10 version and love this new upgrade.
PS: yes I did set it to ‘Advanced’ setting in Software upgrade

I am not angry that I haven't yet received 2021.44.30.15 (w/FSD Beta v10.10). I figure I am lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view) to have 2021.44.30.10.

However, I am curious. So a quick check:
  • According to not a tesla app the tardy version is for all USA model-years (eligible for FSD Beta)........... (check)
  • And my car is hypothetically eligible for several of the features............
  • However, on TeslaFi I note that that there are, so far, fewer installs for the next-most-recent FSD Beta-containing release (2021.44.30.10)............
  • And a quick check on TeslaScope reveals no Model X and very few Model S have received the update (within that App's sample database)............
Then, recalling the general visual and narrative information provided here and there, I realize that the facts suggest that (a) Tesla is purposely pushing this particular update slowly and cautiously, (b) apparently to mostly Models 3 and Y, and that therefore (c) I have nothing to fret over. Perhaps they've discovered some problem, or maybe the target was always Models 3 and Y? Do I wish for some explanatory communication from Tesla? You bet. But do I want some half-ass, a not-ready-for-prime-time firmware? No thank you.

It's maybe analogous to when you are tired and late and finally in the jet plane taxiing on the runway when suddenly your pilot comes on and says, "Sorry folks. We have to return to the loading gate for a quick check."

Now some people get, understandably, agitated. I get that.

But I am like, "Yes! Return to the gate, please! Fix the %^& plane rather than sending us up 25,000 feet with lingering doubts!"

In conclusion, Tesla works in mysterious ways. But me, I'd rather that the Company not dump a suspect firmware into my baby until they've tested it thoroughly on Model X in Moscow and Beijing first--you know what I mean? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gaspi101
Good day all. So I've had my M3 for three weeks now. I'm still on the original software that came with the car 2021.43.102. My understanding is that all new deliveries start with an older stable version.

Anyone know generally how long this lasts before I'll get something newer? Biggest reason is that the newer versions allow for additional functionality on the app.

Good day all. So I've had my M3 for three weeks now. I'm still on the original software that came with the car 2021.43.102. My understanding is that all new deliveries start with an older stable version.

Anyone know generally how long this lasts before I'll get something newer? Biggest reason is that the newer versions allow for additional functionality on the app.

The first post in this thread i moved your post to has a fairly good explanation of everything we currently know about software updates. For your general question, it appears to take anywhere from "a few days" to "a couple of months", with no rhyme or reason as to one over the other.

If I had to guess, I would say that new cars must get added to the "software update" process in some sort of batch process that happens "at some point" once a month, which would explain why some see updates fairly soon (they purchased right before the batch process) and some wait a long time (they purchased just after).

Thats all speculation on my part though, on the process. I just know it takes from a few days, to several weeks, and in a nutshell, the only thing you can do is wait.

The first post in this thread i moved your post to has a fairly good explanation of everything we currently know about software updates. For your general question, it appears to take anywhere from "a few days" to "a couple of months", with no rhyme or reason as to one over the other.

If I had to guess, I would say that new cars must get added to the "software update" process in some sort of batch process that happens "at some point" once a month, which would explain why some see updates fairly soon (they purchased right before the batch process) and some wait a long time (they purchased just after).

Thats all speculation on my part though, on the process. I just know it takes from a few days, to several weeks, and in a nutshell, the only thing you can do is wait.
Thanks. Sorry I did search on a phrase but apparently a poor one

Hi, took a while to read this but think I'm through! First Tesla which I've had for a few weeks now (m3) and 2022.12.3.2 (April) seems fairly old. Or am I worrying about nothing (says no updates available) and it'll come?

Have no worries; it’ll come through eventually. 2022.12.3.2 isn’t that old, actually.

Just have to be a little patient and then it’ll start updating regularly. Both of my cars are on 2022.12.3, so you’re really not far out of date at all.

All is well!

Reactions: urbaniser
Have no worries; it’ll come through eventually. 2022.12.3.2 isn’t that old, actually.

Just have to be a little patient and then it’ll start updating regularly. Both of my cars are on 2022.12.3, so you’re really not far out of date at all.

All is well!
Brilliant thanks. Just that nervousness of a new (2nd hand!) car and thinking I've broken something!

Hi, took a while to read this but think I'm through! First Tesla which I've had for a few weeks now (m3) and 2022.12.3.2 (April) seems fairly old. Or am I worrying about nothing (says no updates available) and it'll come?
Best thing to do is check out the TeslFi software page. You can see how many cars have each version of the software: https://teslafi.com/firmware

You can see on that page that 12.3.2 is still the version roughly 4.4% of cars:
1656951114016.png

Best thing to do is check out the TeslFi software page. You can see how many cars have each version of the software: https://teslafi.com/firmware

You can see on that page that 12.3.2 is still the version roughly 4.4% of cars:
View attachment 824714
Thanks, did look at this and that's what had me a little concerned as presumed at this low percentage the mass rollout must have started.

So some pedant is going to jump in when I say this, but *most* newly delivered cars *anecdotally* seem to take a month or so before they get their first update. So just give it time, you'll get on the update train soon.
Haha, thanks. I had read a few people saying a similar thing. Happy to wait, and don't want to be a muppet and raise a needless service call. Just paranoid that it's broken when you have an expensive piece of equipment!

My Model 3 has software version 2022.24.13. It seems that this is multiple versions behind. Can someone confirm?

I know that they don’t push out software at the same time but I have seen 2022.40. Seems I am way behind. My car says that it’s up to date

Tesla pushes out SW updates as per their internal schedule. All cars don't get the same update at the same time, but eventually you will get it. You need good connectivity Wifi or hotspot connectivity to download the updates and get a hassle free update installation.

My Model 3 has software version 2022.24.13. It seems that this is multiple versions behind. Can someone confirm?

I know that they don’t push out software at the same time but I have seen 2022.40. Seems I am way behind. My car says that it’s up to date

(moderator note)

I merged your newly created thread from the model 3 subforum into this one because the OP in this thread captures everything we currently know about software version releases etc.

The TL ; DR version is, you have to do what your user name is (wait).

Reactions: Waiting…