Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will NEW 100kWh+ battery come out??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that
However, if these couple of modules somehow separated from main pack and maybe used as that extra (10kw) brick protection, X can just use entire 85kw for driving
This also may not require cooling if it's not being used

Sorry, no just no, that's not how it works. Either it's part of the battery or not. I.e. if any additional cells/modules are connected the whole thing will act as one larger pack, regardless of if those cells are physically in the actual pack or not. I would be super amazed if we saw this kind of sloppy engineering from Tesla. In fact I'd bet heavily on this not happening.

I find @ArtInCT's point of view surprisingly compelling. Before the 70D came out I was skeptical that Tesla was going to make changes to their battery pack offerings this year, in part because after the Dual Motor/Autopilot announcement last fall Elon said there would be no major changes to the cars for about a year. Apparently in his mind changing the base S from a 60 RWD to a 70 AWD is not a major change. Well, it is to me. But with the 70D "surprise" I would not be surprised to see the 85 replaced by a 95 when the X is launched, or even a bit before. A 100 seems like a stretch, but who knows...
Just an observation... although we all live and breath TESLA here, there was not one mention of the 70D on this forum prior to its announcement. So if anyone really knew about it, they were REALLY tight lipped
1) the X just cannot be as aerodynamic as the S and will probably require a bit more energy to keep range at par with the S.
2) the introduction of the 70 kW battery is considered by many here as the precursor small battery for the X.
3) the 70 kW battery and the 85 kW battery are very close in size now as you know.
so... many suspect that when the X is announced and orderable, it may, just may, have a larger battery rating in kW...