TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

When will S100D be available?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jbcarioca, Aug 30, 2016.

1. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I have already specified a P100D but I'm thinking I really don't need the extra performance any more. I did upgrade from P85D to L but I really never use all the extra. Any thoughts?

2. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

My expectation is some time this quarter for both the X and S as I believe there are some people who will be waiting for this configuration. May not be until end of quarter though.

3. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

I think some people on the forum who have asked Tesla when the 100D was going to be available have been told Q1 2017. It may be sooner, I believe the factory has some scheduled downtime in a few weeks.

4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I asked and was told "possibly 1Q17, but tell us if you find out different information". Probably nobody knows because it depends on increased production of the new packaging and that probably depend on new capabilities that are about to be put into the factory in Fremont.
    Of course, this is all speculation, possibly informed speculation, but nevertheless speculation.

5. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Elon have said "couple of months"....it could mean by the end of this year or early 2017. He did said that the limiting factor is the extra complexity to build the 100 kwh battery pack.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I suspect that the 100Ds will be available shortly after demand for the P100D goes below the supply of the 100 kWh battery packs. ;)

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. DIL

DIL Member

Did you end up getting your P100D?

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

This, very much this.
    Makes no sense "wasting" a battery pack on a cheaper model s when you've got orders for a more expensive version

• Like x 2
  9. bob_p

bob_p Member

This is the same pattern Tesla has used before.

The first production cars were Signature - with all of the features selected - at the highest price. And then Tesla started producing the lower priced non-Signature cars. I received my P85 relatively quickly in early 2013, when they were selling the performance cars quicker than the lower priced, smaller battery, cars.

Tesla will continue to ramp up production of the 100 battery packs. And when they have enough production to support more than the P100D cars, we should expect they'll start introducing more 100 variants of the S and X.

Though, will they decide to completely replace the 90s with 100s, at about the same price point?

Or, will they decide to keep producing the 90 battery packs, and offer the 100s at a higher price point?

We're still planning to wait for a 100D with AP2.0 - and hopefully we'll see both soon...

• Like x 1