Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will self parking and self driving features appear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any predictions when Elon will introduce self park and self drive features?
Didn't he say in the call yesterday that autopilot (lane keeping) is part of software version 7.0? And that beta testing of that will start "within a couple of weeks"?
If we imagine that the beta gets released to the beta testers in mid August and Tesla need a month to get it properly tested on the roads + correct bugs that are found, then we could expect a release to the public in the end of September or early October..

I just ordered my Model S last Tuesday and the Owner Consultant said that he drove a car with 7.0 and it was awesome. I'm assuming it will be out soon!
I hope your car will have it when delivered. I am assuming that v7.0 will have the full suite of autopilot including lane keeping and self parking. Please post when you take delivery. Would it too much to ask you to visit the Tesla store again and take a test drive of the v7.0?

While I'm looking forward to v7 I'm wondering how the auto-park feature will handle low curbs and parking blocks.

More than a few times when pulling into parking spaces the front of the car has run into curbs and blocks because none of the sensors are pointed down far enough to detect them.

Last edited:
While I'm looking forward to v7 I'm wondering how the auto-park feature will handle low curbs and parking blocks.

More than a few times when pulling into parking spaces the front of the car has run into curbs and blocks because none of the sensors are pointed down far enough to detect them.

The bolded is inaccurate.

My car easily detects parking blocks, counts down the distance to them (while it can see them), then they disappear, and as I roll closer to it I get a "STOP" from the car. It may not "see" it anymore with it's sensors, but it's simple geometry to figure out how far you were from it when it stopped seeing and how far you rolled forward/backwards.

As for low curbs, yes, with the current software I've never got a message that I'm about to curb a wheel (though I never got close enough to try), but given that it can see parking blocks, I don't see why it can't use the same algorithms for the curbs.

The bolded is inaccurate.

My car easily detects parking blocks, counts down the distance to them (while it can see them), then they disappear, and as I roll closer to it I get a "STOP" from the car. It may not "see" it anymore with it's sensors, but it's simple geometry to figure out how far you were from it when it stopped seeing and how far you rolled forward/backwards.

As for low curbs, yes, with the current software I've never got a message that I'm about to curb a wheel (though I never got close enough to try), but given that it can see parking blocks, I don't see why it can't use the same algorithms for the curbs.

Sounds like you've got better sensors than some of us. There have been a couple of threads about the problem. Here's one.

Parking sensors don't report (or see?) low parking lot curbs

Unfortunately I can't find the thread where someone posted pretty graphic images of the front of his car after the sensors did not detect a parking block.

I stopped by the SC yesterday and was told it's a common problem. But hopefully V7 will fix that with software. (finger crossed)

Picture below shows how close I was able to get to the curb yesterday without a "Stop" warning.

Attachments

• acurb.jpg
    acurb.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 267
Sounds like you've got better sensors than some of us. There have been a couple of threads about the problem. Here's one.

Parking sensors don't report (or see?) low parking lot curbs

Unfortunately I can't find the thread where someone posted pretty graphic images of the front of his car after the sensors did not detect a parking block.

I stopped by the SC yesterday and was told it's a common problem. But hopefully V7 will fix that with software. (finger crossed)

Picture below shows how close I was able to get to the curb yesterday without a "Stop" warning.

Did your car see the curb as you were pulling up to it? If it didn't, I don't expect a stop warning to come up. My car doesn't do it 100% of the time (I park in the same places all the time, so I'd expect consistency), but I'd say a good 90% of the time it sees the curb and counts down to it, then disappears and maybe 60% of the time I get a "STOP" message.

Which to me implies it's a software problem, not hardware. Software can be released with an OTA update once they get the silly autopilot problem done with.

I didn't post in that thread, as I didn't have my car yet. But I did post in another thread, where someone said his car does the EXACT same thing mine does about a month ago.