Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla modernize OTA updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another update? Another half hour wasted in a Century City mall garage pilfering free WiFi. And I'm not alone! I'd wager a majority of Tesla owner's can't access WiFi in their garages. Why can't Tesla firmware be DL'd to a cell phone (at the owner's convenience) so the owner can choose when and where to update their vehicle? It can but Tesla clings to an outdated, archaic, and inconvenient OTA method. One of my pet peeves.

Reactions: telsasan
I used to live in a condo where I parked my car in a garage two stories underground. No cell or WiFi down there.

Solution? Hotspot your phone to the car as WiFi and download the update. You don't have to do it all at once, just have it download by pieces whenever you get a chance to be in the car (parked or driving). It's not even that inconvenient since you'll be driving the car at some time anyway. You don't have to rush to update to the latest FW, so no need to sit still in a mall to sip on free WiFi.

It's essentially what you're asking for "let me download FW to my phone, and transfer via WiFi wirelessly to my car". Except you're not forced to do it all at once.

Tesla OTA updates are the most modernized advanced OTA updates on the market. Those update might contain urgent safety updates that need to be installed right away and letting owners to choose which update to install or when to install will cause massive issues and safety hazards. Tesla updates can also be initiated via your cellphone and you can choose when to initiate the update, so I am not sure what you are complaining about.

I used to live in a condo where I parked my car in a garage two stories underground. No cell or WiFi down there.

Solution? Hotspot your phone to the car as WiFi and download the update. You don't have to do it all at once, just have it download by pieces whenever you get a chance to be in the car (parked or driving). It's not even that inconvenient since you'll be driving the car at some time anyway. You don't have to rush to update to the latest FW, so no need to sit still in a mall to sip on free WiFi.

It's essentially what you're asking for "let me download FW to my phone, and transfer via WiFi wirelessly to my car". Except you're not forced to do it all at once.
I do use my phone as a hotspot. I have a by the gig plan and upgrading to an unlimited plan costs $30 more per month. Why should I pay $360 more per year just to update a car? If Tesla augmented/adopted my solution it would solve lots of problems.

I believe if you're "too far" out of date or if it's a critical safety update they will push it over cellular. I've been away from home since March for medical reasons and have no access to wifi near my car but after about 2 or 3 weeks of the car telling me an update was ready to download, I had it ready to be installed. I pay for premium connectivity and I'm in FSD Beta, so that might be partly why, but I could have sworn I saw something about premium connectivity having the ability to download updates in some conditions.

Also, as others have said, hot spots via cell phones are a great way to download it. with 4G and now 5G updates can usually be downloaded in like five minutes in most markets. Then just head into the store to do whatever you need while the car updates in the parking lot.

I do use my phone as a hotspot. I have a by the gig plan and upgrading to an unlimited plan costs $30 more per month. Why should I pay $360 more per year just to update a car? If Tesla augmented/adopted my solution it would solve lots of problems.
Well Tesla would be paying for that data then. Maybe they should have another level of premium connectivity that includes OTA updates and they charge an extra $5/mo for it or something.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney

They probably will never let anyone download an update to a cellphone (or USB) like you mentioned because it introduces WAAAAAAYYYYYY too much security concerns.

Tesla is way more modern than any other manufacturer when it comes to this. Other manufacturers either say they will do this, but really dont, or just dont offer it at all and tell you to bring it to the shop to get any updates at all.

Tesla allows you to do this via wifi, or even use your phone as a hotspot, the fact you either cant or wont do either one of those is actually on you, not them.

I will say that Tesla needs to update the vehicle to be able to join hotspots that require authentication (usually by agreeing to terms of use). That would allow the car to use a lot more public hot spots (think hospitals, hotels, general city wifi hot spots, etc) and maybe a lot of work hot spots if they reach out into parking lots. Or even condo hot spots if they're provided in public areas.

Reactions: WhiteWi and TSLY
Well Tesla would be paying for that data then. Maybe they should have another level of premium connectivity that includes OTA updates and they charge an extra $5/mo for it or something.
No, Westfield Mall is paying for the data. And I pay the mall to park there. Agree with latter part of your statement about premium OTA connectivity
I will say that Tesla needs to update the vehicle to be able to join hotspots that require authentication (usually by agreeing to terms of use). That would allow the car to use a lot more public hot spots (think hospitals, hotels, general city wifi hot spots, etc) and maybe a lot of work hot spots if they reach out into parking lots. Or even condo hot spots if they're provided in public areas.
Absolutely.

they can (and I presume they do) sign their packages so it can't be altered into malware.

but I don't think there's a problem here that really needs solving.

Im sure they do, but that wouldnt preclude those so inclined from attempting to disassemble and re assemble them anyway., try to make or provide side load updates (people can get root on these cars), etc etc. There isnt any reason for them to assist with that in making an update package easily downloadable to a USB or flash storage.

I also agree with the last part of your statement, but I could see tesla perhaps charging extra for premium connectivity that allows updates over cellular, but that comes with its own problems (like lack of cellular connectivity in the parking location for many people who would want to buy such a thing, for example).

Think of it similar to an update for your laptop- iOS or Windows. In both cases the responsibility to provide the connectivity and associated connectivity costs is yours. The update is free but your responsibility to download it and install it is yours. Problem will arise if there is an unfortunate accident and the safety update fix was not installed. Who is responsible? I am not sure of the answer because I have not read the fine print in the Tesla warranty or purchase agreement, but I guess the odds will be stacked against the buyer.

Reactions: tm1v2 and FatherTo1
Im sure they do, but that wouldnt preclude those so inclined from attempting to disassemble and re assemble them anyway., try to make or provide side load updates (people can get root on these cars), etc etc. There isnt any reason for them to assist with that in making an update package easily downloadable to a USB or flash storage.

I also agree with the last part of your statement, but I could see tesla perhaps charging extra for premium connectivity that allows updates over cellular, but that comes with its own problems (like lack of cellular connectivity in the parking location for many people who would want to buy such a thing, for example).
Under what scenario could a Tesla owner update their car with hacked firmware? It's your car, your phone, your phone key, your download.

Under what scenario could a Tesla owner update their car with hacked firmware? It's your car, your phone, your phone key, your download.
I will turn that question around to you and ask "under what circumstance could a iOS / Android user update their phone with hacked firmware? Its their phone" (under the exact same circumstances).

People side load stuff onto phones all the time, under the guise of "I want more control". Sometimes the firmware they add is simply hacked / open source. Sometimes it has malware. In all cases they have to do it manually with root. An entire market would instantly spring up of people either openly or less openly selling "I can root your car and install this update that does X"

I am just saying it will never happen (tesla allowing a USB download of their firmware in the manner you specify). I could see them charging more so you could pay for cellular downloads but they cant guarantee you will be someplace with connectivity. What they wont do, however, is allow someone to easily download a firmware update to a USB. Thats not even "going forward" in technology, its going backward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corndart
Another update? Another half hour wasted in a Century City mall garage pilfering free WiFi. And I'm not alone! I'd wager a majority of Tesla owner's can't access WiFi in their garages. Why can't Tesla firmware be DL'd to a cell phone (at the owner's convenience) so the owner can choose when and where to update their vehicle? It can but Tesla clings to an outdated, archaic, and inconvenient OTA method. One of my pet peeves.
Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Beats OTA updates I received from any other manufacturer.

I will turn that question around to you and ask "under what circumstance could a iOS / Android user update their car with hacked firmware? Its their phone" (under the exact same circumstances).

People side load stuff onto phones all the time, under the guise of "I want more control". Sometimes the firmware they add is simply hacked / open source. Sometimes it has malware. In all cases they have to do it manually with root. An entire market would instantly spring up of people either openly or less openly selling "I can root your car and install this update that does X"

I am just saying it will never happen (tesla allowing a USB download of their firmware in the manner you specify). I could see them charging more so you could pay for cellular downloads but they cant guarantee you will be someplace with connectivity. What they wont do, however, is allow someone to easily download a firmware update to a USB. Thats not even "going forward" in technology, its going backward.
I agree, for any safety critical equipment, Cars, Airplanes, Medical Equipment/devices which are under safety critical regulatory requirements, no OEM will agree to give you access to software root to install uncertified or unapproved updates that are not under the control of the OEM. The liability is too large.

Reactions: Corndart
of all the complaints never thought I would hear OTA update is one of them. Ever tried Hyundai/Kia OTA update? Me neither, doesn't exist.

"I'd wager a majority of Tesla owner's can't access WiFi in their garages." - I would say majority has access to WiFi in their garages. Actually, unless you park in condo parking lots, I don't know anyone who parks at home and doesn't have access to WiFi in their garage.

The question should be 'who can't access WiFi in their garage AND has only 1GB data plan that needs to pay extra $30 a month to get more data to be able to hotspot'. This seems more likely to be a much smaller group...

I would wager even more that the majority of people who own a Tesla can update at home using their own home Wi-Fi. They’re not just a CA company anymore they’ve sold hundreds of thousands of units to the rest of us in the burbs and country.

Why can’t you set your phone up as a Wi-Fi hotspot and then connect the car to the phone?

Edit: sorry didn’t see the message where you said you refuse to update your cell plan and were expecting Tesla to accommodate your individual needs. Seems to me what’s really outdated and archaic is your cell plan. Do you also get charged 10 cents per text?

Last edited: