Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla modernize OTA updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This entire thread starts with an interesting premise, with no data to back it up : "...majority of Tesla owners can't access WIFI in their garage".

Stepping back, the majority of people do no such thing with their phone, and would likely have even less interest in doing so with their vehicle. Personally, I have zero trust in the integrity of a rooted + sideloaded app phone, no sane person would do this to their vehicle IMNSHO.

I dont believe you will find I said "the majority of people". I said "People" which does not imply majority.

Tesla OTA updates are the most modernized advanced OTA updates on the market. Those update might contain urgent safety updates that need to be installed right away and letting owners to choose which update to install or when to install will cause massive issues and safety hazards. Tesla updates can also be initiated via your cellphone and you can choose when to initiate the update, so I am not sure what you are complaining about.
The last three updates have been wastes of time. The same message afterwards, 85mph cruise control speed, music download profiles and somethign else that had nothing to do with me. 2022.16.x. I leave my tablet charging in the car with the hotspot on at work. I presume they have been bugfixes and won't go into detail.

Reactions: Tensorflow
I found leaving it on "Standard" only gives you the worthwhile updates after most bugs have been worked out.

I went from 2022.12.3.6 to 2022.16.1.2 yesterday. I got new car visualizations and better trip predictions. The update from whatever I had before 2022.12.3.6 (I really should track my versions...) gave me independent rear child locks and the ability to add more icons to the bottom row.

Conversely, I get updates a few weeks after others (2022.16.x had been out for a bit), so if you must have the latest and greatest (with potential bugs), you're going to get updates more often, but with more incremental changes, a lot of which are probably invisible to the user.

I dont believe you will find I said "the majority of people". I said "People" which does not imply majority.
I'm agreeing with you, generally, but you did say :

"People side load stuff onto phones all the time, under the guise of "I want more control"."

Which is incorrect, at least according to Google. It's a vocal minority on on places like xda-developers and some /r watering holes that actually participate in this activity.

I will say that Tesla needs to update the vehicle to be able to join hotspots that require authentication (usually by agreeing to terms of use). That would allow the car to use a lot more public hot spots (think hospitals, hotels, general city wifi hot spots, etc) and maybe a lot of work hot spots if they reach out into parking lots. Or even condo hot spots if they're provided in public areas.

I have not tried it myself but I heard you can manually trigger the authentication screen to allow you to log in.

After selecting the wifi network, open the browser and type the url 10.10.10.10 (any web address would probably work) and hit enter.

Before when I didn’t have wifi in the garage i just hot spot through my phone and download the update. After that you can update it anytime, usually after work for me. I didn’t see any problem there. Just glad they even provide ota updates. Personally I’ll let the car have all the time it needs to update, since it’s safety they are updating too. Not just fart horns

I think Tesla's OTA update system is the bee's knees, except the "stuck at 50%" bug.

I also get lousy WiFi on the car, even though I get great WiFi on my phone while sitting *in* the car connected to the same router. Lousy WiFi adaptor? I don't know.

Would be nice if the updates could be predownloaded through the app and then brought out to the car, but that's never going to happen... and would really only benefit 2% of users (myself included). Definitely would introduce security risks.

Reactions: alexcue