Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla offer in-car review of Sentry Cam footage?

When will Tesla offer in-car review of Sentry Cam footage?

• less than 3months

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • less than 6months

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • 2+ years

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • never

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I returned to my car the other day and saw I had 8 sentry cam activations. I held down the camera icon to stop recording, then pulled the drive, then tried to review footage only to discover that the files were corrupt.

This has happened many times with many flash drives.

Since Tesla have updated the browser in the car it seems that in-car review of Sentry footage should be a trivial thing for Tesla to do and since you wouldn't have to remove the USB drive it would reduce occurrences of data corruption.

A stretch goal here would be that Tesla makes it so you can take a snip from the video and send it to your mobile device that's already paired with the car.

I'm sure they have higher priorities with arcade games, fart noises, jingle bell songs and other things that 1% of owners adore but this seems like a feature that is overdue.

When?

I'm definitely with you as far as priorities go, I think most people would prefer a camera footage review feature over "easter eggs" and arcade games. Do you know if Elon Musk / Tesla has even confirmed development towards this, or even acknowledged anyone who brought it up?

I've encountered corruption issues too. It seems if you want some footage, you should wait a while before pulling the USB because whatever was recently recorded is most likely to become corrupt.

Also I don't think that the updated browser has anything to do with adding this capability. More likely it would be developed in a completely different app.

I'm definitely with you as far as priorities go, I think most people would prefer a camera footage review feature over "easter eggs" and arcade games. Do you know if Elon Musk / Tesla has even confirmed development towards this, or even acknowledged anyone who brought it up?

I've encountered corruption issues too. It seems if you want some footage, you should wait a while before pulling the USB because whatever was recently recorded is most likely to become corrupt.

Also I don't think that the updated browser has anything to do with adding this capability. More likely it would be developed in a completely different app.

The new browser should have native playback capabilities that the old browser did not for H.264 files but I could be mistaken there.

I don't think Tesla have ever acknowledged it as a feature request so I'm not holding my breath. Surely they know that pulling flash drives and putting them in computers or using overpriced and flaky mobile device apps to view footage is quite laborious for owners.

Feels like there’s a deeper challenge involved, but I’m not a software person so I can’t articulate exactly what it would be.

I say this simply because it’s such a no-brainer feature especially given the vast amount of success and positive press Sentry has had in many different applications. You’d think Tesla would be prioritizing improving it and making it more user-friendly (especially for the non-tech savvy). Since Sentry was never initially planned for, this might be a bigger challenge than we understand.

The new browser should have native playback capabilities that the old browser did not for H.264 files but I could be mistaken there.

I don't think Tesla have ever acknowledged it as a feature request so I'm not holding my breath. Surely they know that pulling flash drives and putting them in computers or using overpriced and flaky mobile device apps to view footage is quite laborious for owners.
Elon has only acknowledged that more updates are coming to sentry mode. As to what those are, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Elon has only acknowledged that more updates are coming to sentry mode. As to what those are, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Judging by priorities and the way things are going, I'm guessing one of the improvements will be a fart sound occurs whenever sentry spots someone near the car :rolleyes:

Seriously though, some nice suggestions by folks and I will look forward to any improvements in sentry (aside adding a fart sound) :D

Upload footage to Wi-Fi - and get revenue out of it.

Stupid easy residual income.

They can't even figure out how to bill existing customers for services they're already providing to them- (see all the folks who should've been starting to be billed for in-car data going back to Jan 2018 by now)... so I think asking for new services is asking a bit much right now of their capabilities.

Reactions: MXWing
You forgot about: “when it comes, we’re lucky to have it”. :)

it was never a promised feature and is in beta still.
Many here are screaming because they don’t want anything else done until FSD is complete.

Tesla can’t win.
Truth, when it comes, we are lucky to have it for sure!

FSD and the interface design are different teams of people, they aren't going to take the interface people & put them on FSD development. These are completely different forms of software development.

Here's my perspective as a software developer, for what it's worth to you. Chromium as a browser on its own is something they have to implement into the system as an app. Just because it supports video playback doesn't mean it has to do with how they build another app for video playback. The only thing related to that is a shared library dependency, which is trivial & a drop in the bucket as far as time investment goes. I can almost guarantee that the platform they use already supported h.264 playback, or there is a smaller library they can use which does. This app would not be built within the browser.

Reactions: sneakypotato
I love that it has the Ability, and the concept is awesome but I'm not a super techy person and IF I can figure out how to format the flash drive and I don't buy the wrong one. I'm rather confident I won't remember to ever turn it on or bother to take it out and see what happened. I'd definitely watch if I could just watch it right there in the car though. I'd really love if the car had some sort of internal storage and IF there was an event that you watched and then wanted to download, you can save that one event to a drive and/or transfer it to your phone.

The android phone app for viewing the USB is free and bug free and the adapter was $4.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
The android phone app for viewing the USB is free and bug free and the adapter was $4.

Yes, gee, why hadn't I thought of something like that.... I mean, it sure is convenient to hop in the car, see that sentry has been triggered, carefully turn off the USB recording from the touch screen, pull apart the console to get to the USB ports... pull out the tiny flash drive with my big fat fingers, plug it into another device, open an app and then look for the footage.

Then fumble to plug the drive back in, put the console back together, then turn recording back on. Meanwhile people wonder why I've been sitting in my car futzing around for 15 minutes.

Clearly I'm an idiot!