Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla quit selling paid in full FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been mentioned that once true level 5 FSD is here, Tesla will quit selling cars (or the costs of such cars will be absurdly high) because it will be more economic for Tesla to operate a Robo-taxi fleet instead of selling cars to the public. However, before that happens, do we think Tesla will quit selling FSD paid in full and instead go to a solely subscription based model. Do you guys think that will happen, and if so when? Seems like once FSD gets a wide roll out and can be level 3 or 4 (I forget what the actual levels means), Tesla may decide it makes sense to move to a subscription based model only. Thoughts?

Personally, I don't think true level 5 FSD will arrive until after most of us are no longer driving our current Tesla. IF we our lucky, we may get to see Level 3.

As for your general question about whether Tesla will, at some point, move to solely a subscription-based FSD model, its hard to say because I think Tesla has done a poor job (at least so far from the buyer's perspective) at properly valuing its FSD software. Namely, Tesla has continuously raised the price of its FSD package without a corresponding worthwhile enhancement in the performance of its software; so, presently, the price of Tesla's FSD exceeds what most people deem to be the value of its current software. However, the people who do pay for FSD are doing so based upon their faith in Tesla's ability to deliver FSD in the future.

Long-term (like when the technology has progressed so that cars are capable of serving as robo-taxis), I think the competition will substantially drive the price of FSD downwards and, instead of being a novelty, it will be a commodity. Every manufacturer will have fully functional FSD on every model.

L5 is not even close with Tesla's tech, and probably not close with anybody's tech. Current AI can only go so far before it breaks down, and Tesla's tech isn't even close to the limits of current tech.

The kind of "stupidity" that happens when your technology is based mostly on randomness and prayer. Text to speech is still garbage, not much better than 20 years ago. Text to speech is a relatively simple problem in comparison to driving. It's going to be a long time before we get more than staying in the lane.

Yesterday, I got two collision warnings in the Model Y. Why? I have no idea. I'm guessing shadows. It's a joke.

The kind of "stupidity" that happens when your technology is based mostly on randomness and prayer. Text to speech is still garbage, not much better than 20 years ago.
I think you mean speech recognition. Text to speech works really well on a number of platforms. Speech recognition on the other hand, whether it's Alexa, Siri or whatever is frustrating and often bordering on the comical:

Human: Alexa, remind me to go to the gym.

Alexa: I've put a bottle of gin on your shopping list.

Human: Close enough.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TresLA
As for your general question about whether Tesla will, at some point, move to solely a subscription-based FSD model, its hard to say because I think Tesla has done a poor job (at least so far from the buyer's perspective) at properly valuing its FSD software.
Agree with this. Still not sure how their pricing model works. Pay $10k upfront for something that people can now get for $199/month. If there are a lot of subscribers though, and I imagine they're a/b testing the two pricing models, I do think they'll consider keeping the subscription model as I can't imagine people paying the equivalent of 50 months upfront instead of just going month-to-month with no real drawbacks.

And like you mentioned, if you haven't gotten the beta yet, recent improvements aren't really that impressive to the naked eye.