Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla update Model 3 interior?

When will Tesla update the Model 3 interior?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By way of background I've been driving Lexus/BMWs primarily the last 15 years. When I was looking to get a new car this year it came down to another ICE, probably an Audi A6/BMW 5/Mercedes E, or going EV with a Model 3 Performance. The interior and overall fit and finish were definitely better with the German cars, but the Tesla was nicer than I thought it would be and was much nicer in person than the photos lead me to believe. I ultimately bought a Tesla M3P and while its interior is not at the Mercedes level, it's much nicer than any car in the $25,000 - $35,000.

Leaving aside the fit and finish, from my very first test drive I was completely sold on Tesla's minimalist approach. There seems to have been an explosion of knobs/buttons/steering wheel controls/dash displays/HUDs/multiple touch screens in luxury cars. While all of that stuff looks cool and impressive, it's almost always more hassle than its worth. Compared with my wife's BMW for example, which has 3 to 4 different displays going at any given time, the Tesla is not only less distracting to drive but comes off as a far more elegant design.

Gawd, that C-Class interior is atrociously busy. If Teslas looked like that, I'd take a hard pass. I've owned "luxury" cars from Jaguar, BMW, MB and Audi and agree that the Model 3 is definitely NOT a luxury car.

If there was to be a refresh, about the only aesthetic I'd change would be to integrate the display better into the dash and center column and ditch the iPad-glued-to-dashboard look. Better soundproofing would be welcome, too. But please no more buttons, knobs or dials.

Because the interior of my M3P is so minimalist, I sometimes feel like I need to hang a picture or set out a few decorative items on the dash. It's more like a room than a cockpit. That's just my impression, regardless of design intent that made it that way.
Leather as an option would have been nice but with studded seams, like club furniture.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX and stcptl
Tesla has recently attempted to address the criticism of its Model S and X interiors with a thorough refresh.

I, as many others, find the interior of the Model 3 (and Y) to be too stark and not befitting a luxury/premium vehicle. For comparison, below is the photo of the comparable Mercedes C-Class’ new interior.

When will Tesla update the Model 3 interior?
They just updated the interior...

Reactions: TBrownTX
Tech is the new luxury. Apple products do not need dazzle to be high-end. Apple Watch is in, Rolex is out. Tech even has destroyed old pretentious fashion. The brands sold in Dillards and Macy’s are out, unbranded clothing from online retailers is in. The also pretentious MB interior previously mentioned is in the way out. If my coworker had that interior and I went to lunch with them, I would have a hard time not subconsciously thinking they are a ___. It is a desert that is far too sweet for todays tastes. It seems the only people with a desire for the look of luxury these days are the ones that can’t afford it. These are the people that follow people on social media displaying a “luxury lifestyle “.

Tech is the new luxury. Apple products do not need dazzle to be high-end. Apple Watch is in, Rolex is out. Tech even has destroyed old pretentious fashion. The brands sold in Dillards and Macy’s are out, unbranded clothing from online retailers is in. The also pretentious MB interior previously mentioned is in the way out. If my coworker had that interior and I went to lunch with them, I would have a hard time not subconsciously thinking they are a ___. It is a desert that is far too sweet for todays tastes. It seems the only people with a desire for the look of luxury these days are the ones that can’t afford it. These are the people that follow people on social media displaying a “luxury lifestyle “.
Like I said previously, the ornate Mercedes interior only appeals to some people. There are many high quality modern interiors. But the point is not the design, rather the poor quality and choice of materials as well as lack of comfort and convenience features in Model 3/Y given the price they are charging these days. Terrible wind noise is one example of a poor quality vehicle.

There is no comparison with Apple. Their products are well designed and of high quality with good material choices.

Are you seriously telling me Tesla interiors are as good as Lucid or Rivians for example?

Like I said previously, the ornate Mercedes interior only appeals to some people. There are many high quality modern interiors. But the point is not the design, rather the poor quality and choice of materials as well as lack of comfort and convenience features in Model 3/Y given the price they are charging these days. Terrible wind noise is one example of a poor quality vehicle.

There is no comparison with Apple. Their products are well designed and of high quality with good material choices.

Are you seriously telling me Tesla interiors are as good as Lucid or Rivians for example?
I am saying if these two examples are too fancy, they will only be a niche because the upper middle class (that they need for any meaningful volume) doesn’t care about glitzy possessions. They care about good design. Rivian and Lucid have not made anything in volume yet. We will see what the final product quality is and if it is reachable in the long term, assuming they make it.

Here are two examples of interiors that are modern yet still high quality. Of course different vehicle classes and I don’t expect the same on a 3/Y nor am I wedded to any particular design or style but shows how much effort car makers put into interior quality, materials, features and comfort. Tesla literally just stuck a screen to the dash and called it a day. It doesn’t feel like a spaceship. Even new economy car interiors such as Honda Civic or Mazda 3 are becoming nicer than 3/Y for a fraction of the price. Takes away from what are otherwise very good vehicles. New interior and more sound deadening and the 3/Y will be far superior to any comparable ICE vehicles.

E302150F-BBFA-40F7-9EA5-68E99A0A74E4.png

44B0359A-A92D-4B09-A9DE-CA58B7A85894.jpeg

Here are two examples of interiors that are modern yet still high quality. Of course different vehicle classes and I don’t expect the same on a 3/Y nor am I wedded to any particular design or style but shows how much effort car makers put into interior quality, materials, features and comfort. Tesla literally just stuck a screen to the dash and called it a day. It doesn’t feel like a spaceship. Even new economy car interiors such as Honda Civic or Mazda 3 are becoming nicer than 3/Y for a fraction of the price. Takes away from what are otherwise very good vehicles. New interior and more sound deadening and the 3/Y will be far superior to any comparable ICE vehicles.

View attachment 737639
View attachment 737644

You want something tesla does not (and will not ever, in my opinion) provide, so you should be looking at those vehicles to purchase instead of Tesla if thats what you want.

I am a huge believer that "every product is not made for every person", and if the product is not made to your specifications, find one that is. Tesla is NOT EVER going to have an interior anything at all like that... ever.

"better sound deadening?" sure. ANYTHING at all like ANY of the screenshots you have posted with your desired interiors? No.

You want something tesla does not (and will not ever, in my opinion) provide, so you should be looking at those vehicles to purchase instead of Tesla if thats what you want.

I am a huge believer that "every product is not made for every person", and if the product is not made to your specifications, find one that is. Tesla is NOT EVER going to have an interior anything at all like that... ever.

"better sound deadening?" sure. ANYTHING at all like ANY of the screenshots you have posted with your desired interiors? No.

Right now, yes, Tesla won’t. Which is why I skipped the Y and put deposits on R1S and Lyriq (Cybertruck too but that’s priced very well if Tesla doesn’t renege).

But not necessarily forever. I didn’t like the old Model S and X interiors but I like the new ones minus the yoke. Those vehicles are overpriced IMO but the interiors are good if they cut prices a bit. I’m not wedded to a particular design or style but for Model S price you can get interiors that are nicer than most people’s homes.

So why wouldn’t Tesla eventually update the 3/Y interior in a refresh or next gen and make it more substantive. And I’m not the only one who really likes the vehicles but not the interior or quality. Tesla can do better.

Its NOT a "luxury / premium vehicle", thats the mistake people make. They are not going back to that interior (they simplified X and S). Any updates will not be to add dials and gauges. It might be to add a HUD or an even bigger screen, or a screen that swivels from the factory or something.

A model 3 is a 25k car with a 20k Battery. Its not a "luxury" car, even if the price makes people think it is. I love mine for what it is, but a luxury car it is not (coming from almost 20 years of BMW ownership).
Definitely agree here. But! The Performance should have merited more improvements. It’s wild they don’t have the carbon option for it.

Reactions: stcptl
I suppose if one lives in a created world where they think the adverts in GQ are real, people deplane private jets in suits and sunglasses for dinner and people live like 007, then it is time to forget Teslas, leave this forum, and buy a Mercedes or an Audi. Enjoy your life projecting your imagination on reality. True reality is that your peers are not in awe of you for owning such a possession. Poor people probably are, but if you get off on that, it is a weird kink. If you are not married and catting around for gold diggers, a lux interior would make sense to that sort of person. It is a short sighted way to live though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hayden and Jo060
I suppose if one lives in a created world where they think the adverts in GQ are real, people deplane private jets in suits and sunglasses for dinner and people live like 007, then it is time to forget Teslas, leave this forum, and buy a Mercedes or an Audi. Enjoy your life projecting your imagination on reality. True reality is that your peers are not in awe of you for owning such a possession. Poor people probably are, but if you get off on that, it is a weird kink. If you are not married and catting around for gold diggers, a lux interior would make sense to that sort of person. It is a short sighted way to live though.

I am not in need for anyone to be in awe of me nor am I looking for gold diggers. I just want a nice, plush ride, for myself. The controversial design notwithstanding, take a drive/ride in an S-Class and tell me you don’t like the exemplary ride, quiet, comfort and features. Tesla charges just as much for the S and X. Their new interior is much better minus the yoke but still a lot of room for improvement.

I had a Panamera Turbo for 4 years. In my opinion it’s nicer than an S class. I think the Model 3 in white is really pretty good on the interior.

A fancier ride control system would be cool, and certain improve things but it would be a substantial cost increase to the car initially and for maintenance. I think a simple adjustable magnetic ride or shock system like what is in the SRT cars would be great. No air ride.

Definitely agree here. But! The Performance should have merited more improvements. It’s wild they don’t have the carbon option for it.
Definitely agree on the P/top trims. And differentiating trims is not even hard, add some nicer materials and trim; some carbon fiber, metal, stitching, faux suede and leather, wood etc and voila. Not too different from how they change the wheels, suspension, add a spoiler etc for P models.

Definitely agree on the P/top trims. And differentiating trims is not even hard, add some nicer materials and trim; some carbon fiber, metal, stitching, faux suede and leather, wood etc and voila. Not too different from how they change the wheels, suspension, add a spoiler etc for P models.
100%. I'd have been willing to pay extra for options like stitching color and a carbon fiber finish. Something like gunmetal grey stitching with the white leather and carbon fiber would have been awesome. I understand how they produce configurations in batches but I think relatively simple things like this would be pretty easy to implement.

Reactions: stcptl
100%. I'd have been willing to pay extra for options like stitching color and a carbon fiber finish. Something like gunmetal grey stitching with the white leather and carbon fiber would have been awesome. I understand how they produce configurations in batches but I think relatively simple things like this would be pretty easy to implement.

There's nothing remotely simple about those things when you're intending to keep scaling your MFG output 50% year over year for years to come.

They're things you can bother with when you're no longer scaling up production and are desperate for additional revenue sources.

Reactions: jjrandorin