Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will the Model Y get the new 5MP cameras?

When will the new 5MP cameras be available for the Model Y in the US?

• June 2022

• July 2022

• August 2022

• September 2022

• October 2022

• November 2022

• December 2022

• In 2023 or later

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For FSD, aren't frames per second equally, if not more, important than resolution at this point? Wouldn't increasing the resolution several-fold reduce fps substantially?
Depends on how their image classification algo works. In this case, it will allow for greater detail that may be needed to see things like shadows and speed bumps with greater contrast. Remember, it is not going through every pixel. It is using collective mapping of the image stream to determine what it can see. It should also assist the system in word and road marking recognition. I am sure there is more processing, but I am not sure how much more. The data stream itself will still be encoded separately and easily at a high speed. Maybe raw data, but I doubt it. Both FPS as resolution are important, but current frame rates are more than sufficient if they can even come within 10% of it.

IMHO, this really is more for a correction to false positives (phantom braking) and false negatives (nearly hitting curbs full send). Also allows for a more extreme lens allowing for more data to enter the system. I'd bet there are other upgrades that go with these cameras to make up for it.

Tl;Dr Maybe but not enough to matter - more data is better.