Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will there be Zero drive-unit issues/replacements?

When will the Drive Unit issues finally be cured?

• End of 2015

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • June 2016

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • End of 2016

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • June 2017

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • End of 2017

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Some time way in the future

Votes: 34 50.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Elon's goal of a 'million-mile' car/DU but evidence still of frequent (and repeated) DU replacement, when do you believe the issue will finally be permanently cured? No more faults at all (except for the odd - and therefore interesting - freak)....

Last edited:
* never
From what I been told by electrical people the problems are not mechanical and are far from being cured, and there might not be a fix. someone more versed in electrical engineering would be able to provide more info.

We have 9,000 miles on ours and the front DU is scheduled to be replaced. Keeping the car out of warranty is looking like may not be a good idea. I think the lack of ability to get the extended warranty on CPO cars is very telling and should not be ignored. I hope they do figure it out and get it fixed because outside of this issue, we really like the car.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
We have 26,000 miles on our replacement drive unit with no issues.
In my case, it is already solved. Perhaps the people that are getting replacements ARE the odd freak occurances.

While I don't believe that is really true, I believe that the rate of issues has been going down.

As for the "Elon promised..." remark, please stop that.
Elon did no such thing. He stated what Tesla's goal was.
I can't stand it when people use the word "promise" as a synonym for "stated goal". They don't mean the same thing.

* never
From what I been told by electrical people the problems are not mechanical and are far from being cured, and there might not be a fix. someone more versed in electrical engineering would be able to provide more info.

Industrial electric motors have run for literally years non stop, so there is indeed a fix to be had. I still think it's a mechanical issue not electric. Tesla uses ceramic bearings so it should not be electrically induced bearing failures.

As an electrical engineer I say the problem is mechanical. :)

But, I'm not an electrical engineer well versed in AC induction motors of the size that's on the Tesla, or the drive inverter for such a motor. Heck half of the stuff Nikola Tesla did I don't understand. I'm more comfortable with topics regarding FPGA's, Vision Computing, etc.

Has there been anything attributed to electronics as being the root cause in the majority of Drive unit failures? Everything I've heard so far has been mechanical in nature like grease, and milling sounds.

A multitude of problems are being grouped into Drive unit problems which is confusing the issue.

As to the poll you have to have a passing criteria. What it means for the problem to the cured.

Is it 99.9% to 200,000 miles? without issues? 200,000 miles was the original design goal for the drive unit. The goal now is 1 million miles.

We have 9,000 miles on ours and the front DU is scheduled to be replaced. Keeping the car out of warranty is looking like may not be a good idea. I think the lack of ability to get the extended warranty on CPO cars is very telling and should not be ignored. I hope they do figure it out and get it fixed because outside of this issue, we really like the car.

Anyone had to actually pay for a DU replacement? I have not heard of anyone yet...

Has there been anything attributed to electronics as being the root cause in the majority of Drive unit failures? Everything I've heard so far has been mechanical in nature like grease, and milling sounds.
A multitude of problems are being grouped into Drive unit problems which is confusing the issue.
I had a Tesla service center person tell me recently that the whirring/milling noise was a bearing issue. Not electrical. I got the impression that, if he could hear the noise in a Model S then the drive unit would be replaced, no questions asked. The noise did not have to be loud, just perceptible.

I had a Tesla service center person tell me recently that the whirring/milling noise was a bearing issue. Not electrical. I got the impression that, if he could hear the noise in a Model S then the drive unit would be replaced, no questions asked. The noise did not have to be loud, just perceptible.

And during the earnings call Elon said it was a grease on the spline issue. Someone isn't telling the truth...

I live in the Bay Area and an employee told me that early Teslas had a spline issue relating to it being too small for the load and that they engineered a larger spline. Ive had one DU replaced (at about 5000 miles) and am having issues again and going in to discuss another replacement (now at 36000 miles).

There are multiple issues, none electrical except for the "balloon squeal" in earlier cars, which is not a failure, just an annoyance.

I think the milling noise is caused by bearing failure, and the "clunk" when switching from regen to drive is the spline issue. I'm an Electrical Engineer, not a Mechanical Engineer, but it occurs to me that the slop caused by the worn spline issue could lead to another failure from hammering action. Maybe this is the cause of the bearing failure? You don't want mechanical shock in any kind of gearbox or transmission. This is why all ICE cars have some sort of torque damper; a hydrostatically-coupled torque converter in the case of an automatic, or a spring based damper in the case of a manual.

disc_torsion_damper_col3.jpg