Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we actually get the "summer" superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In just saying they are running into more obstacles than they thought. It's still over 100 degrees some days in Texas and they will have at least one of the three up next week. I'd consider that summer but yes, they overestimated their ability to roll things out quickly.

In just saying they are running into more obstacles than they thought. It's still over 100 degrees some days in Texas and they will have at least one of the three up next week. I'd consider that summer but yes, they overestimated their ability to roll things out quickly.

When you are doing the first ones in a particular state, it's pretty hard to estimate the permitting time or the contractor's backlog (and how realistic his estimate of his backlog is). I suspect the next round will be more accurate, though I assume they will always be on the optimistic side.

As an architect, I know the Quality Contractors in Dallas are busy, very busy.
That is the pragmatic side of what is going on: there may not be enough veted and quality Contractors available in each locale to do the work.
And also know the Contractors will work to get it right the first time.
Permitting Offices, and Building inspectors are also busy.
Yes, you can sometimes expedite work, but not in all rural areas.
A lot of Work progresses because of built and established relationships.
And those take time to establish, nurture and develop.

(And this is just the back end, after a site has been selected, contracts drawn up, negotiations resolved, design work done, etc.)

Each of these Charging Stations have unique qualities, not just some module to pull out of the back of a trailer and install.
I am sure they are also planning/providing future growth and fittings for Posts, roofs, solar panels, and then some battery packs.
Indeed, lots of things to consider.

It takes nine months to make a baby.
Y'all just Chill just a bit already.
Looking forward to using the new babies as they come on line......

Y'all just Chill
I wouldn't have said that way but this is sage wisdom.

Yeah, Elon got carried away. Yeah, Tesla blew the schedule. Yeah, our expectations aren't being met.

What do you want? Someone to wave a magic wand and make it all better? Or do people just want to vent?

Frankly, I looked at the summer/fall/winter/... map with a strong level of disbelief. Maybe it's because I've worked in young high tech companies where enthusiasm overtakes reality and seen such schedule before. Maybe it because I'd done a couple of remodels and know how many uncertainties there are in the process. Maybe it's because I've negotiated contracts and know how they never go smoothly. Bottom line, they are actually making pretty good progress.

What's even more bothersome about how long its taking for the relatively small number of "Summer 2013" superchargers is the shear quantity of "Fall 2013" superchargers they are hoping to roll out. Look at the number expected to be online before "Winter 2013" and it boggles the mind that they'll be able to get that many online in time. There are several in NC and VA that I'm particularly interested to have operational and I'm resigned to thinking that "Fall 2013" means sometime in 2013 if we are lucky. I would really like to be able to drive between central VA and DC as well as Charlotte NC without worrying about charging at 24A.

At least it is likely that this is can be a very parallel operation unless they are having parts shortages.

Today is Labor Day.
Things to Celebrate:
I went back to look @ this thread, and an AMAZING amount of openings and new construction is occurring, and there is almost three more weeks remaining in Summer.

Compiled information (West to East):
Woodburn, OR: Opened
Freemont, CA: Opened
Buellton, CA: Opened
Atascadero, CA: Opened
San Juan Capistrano, CA: Permitted

Silverthorne, CO: Under Construction
Glenwood Springs, CO: Under Construction

San Marcos, TX: opened
Columbus, TX: Under Construction
Bellmead (Waco), TX: Under Construction, 2 to 3 weeks (max.) until opening
Rockford, IL: Under Construction

Port Orange, FL: Under Construction
Edison, NJ: ???
Darien, CT (South Service Area): Under Construction

Could not find any written or photo info on VA location/status.

AND don't forget the SIX new Supercharger Stations that were just opened in Norway!!!

Amazing. <shaking my head> just Amazing.

Each new Supercharger station realized is an tremendous achievement building an infrastructure before our very eyes.
These are exciting times, lots of current activity, and Fall 2013 will be even busier.

Last edited:
Today is Labor Day.
Things to Celebrate:
I went back to look @ this thread, and an AMAZING amount of openings and new construction is occurring, and there is almost three more weeks remaining in Summer.

Woodburn, OR: opened
And that one wasn't even in the Summer batch (which is, I guess, why it's still not on the MAP on the Supercharger page)

Today is Labor Day.
Things to Celebrate:

Freemont, CA: opened

AND don't forget the SIX new Supercharger Stations that were just opened in Norway!!!

Each new Supercharger station realized is an tremendous achievement building an infrastructure before our very eyes.
These are exciting times, lots of current activity, and Fall 2013 will be even busier.

This is an amazing post. Actually, this should be its own thread and a sticky: "Summary of Open and Confirmed Superchargers"

This is called "taking stock of reality". Some times it reveals ugly truths but in this case it reveals something pretty amazing. Superchargers are getting built. The bleak picture that some paint is clearly not the reality.

Today is Labor Day.
Things to Celebrate:

Freemont, CA: opened

Really people, lists? What is this, the teslamotors.com forum? :D

Tabulated. State before city for relevance.
Added Highway and Exit.
I added Corsicana and Huntsville based on posts elsewhere.

StateLocationHwy (Exit)ChargersStatusOpen DateNotes
ORWoodburnOpen
CAFremontOpen
CASan Juan CapistranoI-5Permitted
COSilverthorneI-70 (205)Under Construction
COGlenwood SpringsUnder Construction
TXSan MarcosOpen
TXColumbusUnder Construction
TXBellmead (Waco)I-35 (338A)Under Construction9/16/2013 - 9/23/2013Collin Street Bakery
TXCorsicanaI-45 (229)PermittedCollin Street Bakery
TXHuntsvilleI-45Permitted
ILRockfordUnder Construction
FLPort OrangeI-95 (265)6+ (8?)Under ConstructionThe Pavilion opp Olive Garden
NJEdison??
CTDarien (South)I-95 (10)Under ConstructionService Area

Others can fill in information.

Last edited: