Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we actually get the "summer" superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the very sophisticated method of "staring at the Today and Fall map and looking for dots that pop up in red" it seems like we are still missing two of the California Summer superchargers, one in Colorado, one in Texas, one in Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. Also, the dot near New York seems to turn into three.
So I'd say there are about 9 superchargers unaccounted for?
Please correct me if I'm misreading the map somewhere - it's a wee bit low resolution.

I think that's correct, but they also went ahead and built others that were planned for the fall instead.

Do we know how many have solar canopies?
I know the plan was to gradually add solar capability, eventually even including battery storage but wondered if any of the approved permits also include phase 2 basic solar panels?

I don't think implementation the solar panels (and battery packs) are TMs Primary Goal at this time.
Maybe in very selected high profile locations, but typically I doubt it.

I suspect after they make their first broad pass for SC installations/builds, to get the US up to about 80% coverage or so (end of 2014), they might start filling some of those in.
I further suspect the real goal is to get the 98% covered and then start the retrofitting of the roofed areas with solar panels (Second Phase).

Looks like CT jumps from 2 to 4 dots, three of which are quite close together. First dot is Milford. The question is if there's only one dot for both Darien locations--that's probably the case. Speculation, then, is that the other two locations are a northbound and southbound rest stop under construction on the Merritt.

John

Yes - I speculated a long time ago that the 3rd dot would be the 2 Mobil Service Stations on the Merritt in Greenwich right by the NY/CT border. I pass by there a few times a week and construction has been slow and its still too early to see if the framework for a supercharger is being put up....

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

Using the very sophisticated method of "staring at the Today and Fall map and looking for dots that pop up in red" it seems like we are still missing two of the California Summer superchargers, one in Colorado, one in Texas, one in Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. Also, the dot near New York seems to turn into three.
So I'd say there are about 9 superchargers unaccounted for?
Please correct me if I'm misreading the map somewhere - it's a wee bit low resolution.

We're also missing the supercharger in the Providence, RI area....

Aaron

The beat goes on! 4 weeks after the end of Summer we appear to be on the verge of a lot of new chargers coming on line, pushing the count to 36 in the US (based on the SC wiki). On I5 in Northern CA and Southern OR, 4 are coming on line in the next few weeks: Corning, Mt Shasta, Grants Pass and Springfield. This, I believe, completes the West Coast Supercharger Highway. I am looking forward to making an SC only road trip from Seattle to San Diego.

still waiting for the summer San Juan Capistrano (Orange County) SC... it'll make that drive to San Diego worry-free.

Okay, please confirm where you might be headed.

Hawthorne to San Diego is 123 miles.
San Juan Capistrano to San Diego is 67 miles.

Even an S60 should easily be able to handle 123 miles.

Is there something I'm missing?

Or are you wanting to have full charge for your return trip to San Diego?

Since TM are currently busy connecting the rest of the West Coast from Seattle/Vancouver to San Diego (three new SC location in Northern California and Oregon), I guess I don't understand what the issue is...

This, I believe, completes the West Coast Supercharger Highway. I am looking forward to making an SC only road trip from Seattle to San Diego.

Not quite. There's currently a 300 mile gap from Corning to Harris ranch unless you go out of your way to Folsom. That will be remedied by the upcoming Manteca supercharger, which along with San Juan Cap will complete the I5 superchargers.

Okay, please confirm where you might be headed.

Hawthorne to San Diego is 123 miles.
San Juan Capistrano to San Diego is 67 miles.

Even an S60 should easily be able to handle 123 miles.

Is there something I'm missing?

Or are you wanting to have full charge for your return trip to San Diego?

Since TM are currently busy connecting the rest of the West Coast from Seattle/Vancouver to San Diego (three new SC location in Northern California and Oregon), I guess I don't understand what the issue is...

San Diego to Hawthorne is no problem in a 60, but it would be nice to be able to take a trip to LA and back without detouring to Hawthorne. SJC is on the way for such a trip, no matter where in LA I'm going. Hawthorne is also out of the way if I'm going to Tejon Ranch. Even if it were on the way, I'd like to avoid it, because it lacks amenities. Hawthorne is really quite inconvenient.