Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we be able to confirm or deny if new Tesla Model S has hardware 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three months, 6 for sure.

Seriously, I've not heard that these are even doing alpha testing yet. This is likely years out before real consumers can buy. And to what end? Elon says what we have will work, for many years now. What will happen down the road with hardware is pure speculation.

... Elon says what we have will work, for many years now. ...
Elon said during Tesla Autonomy day that HW4 will be 3 times better. Elon a few months back during an interview said that hardware 4 will include higher resolution cameras, 720P -> 1080P ?
What we have now doesn't do full self driving. Neither will hardware 4, but hopefully it will have some minor improvements like faster smart summon. Suspect the code base for hardware 3 vs 4 won't diverge for a couple years after hardware 4 is in mass produced cars.

Last edited:
Elon a few months back during an interview said that hardware 4 will include higher resolution cameras, 720P -> 1080P ?

Do you have a source for that? I don't recall hearing about it.

BTW- refresh S is in the parts catalog.

Computer is listed as "AP-T"

In the Y for example it's "AP-3.2"

Mind you- 3.x in the previous S also was named differently from the 3/Y part (because in part the MCU was in the display not on the driving computer board) so that doesn't mean it's newer, just a different part.

So what happens to FSD as hardware keeps being upgraded?
Let's say you paid for FSD and it came with hardware 2 or 3 and eventually software will only run and hardware 5.
IS it to bad for those that paid for FSD, will you have to pay to upgrade to the new hardware to run it?

Let's say you paid for FSD and it came with hardware 2 or 3 and eventually software will only run and hardware 5.
IS it to bad for those that paid for FSD, will you have to pay to upgrade to the new hardware to run it?
Elon says if you have hardware 4 then you get more safety then if you have hardware 3.

Do you have a source for that? I don't recall hearing about it.
Elon said during A.I. day that hardware 4 will include upgraded cameras. Could mean one or more of the following:
  1. More cameras
  2. Full RGB cameras
  3. Higher resolution
  4. Other improvements such as: depth sensing, IR, placement / location etc...

So far everyone who bought FSD has received free driving computer upgrades when needed to enable new features- no reason to think that will not continue being true (and several previous quotes from Tesla supporting the idea it'll keep being true).

That said- that's only for people who BUY FSD- not those who rent it via subscription.