Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get our first look at the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this part is not true. Especially if they intend to compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi with it.

For the 35k market you are going to have to cut some corners. I'm sure there will be options to upgrade the interior, but Musk isn't going to be talking about how the Model 3 seats are "a work of art." A less refined EV from Tesla is going to be a whole lot better than anything else with similar specs from others...but you can't expect to have the same refinement that you see in the S, and will see in the X.

Also at 35k (less with tax credit) you're competing with touring packages from Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM...and I don't see many comparing these cars to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.

That part is definitely not true. Not any more than the Model X concepts revealed trade secrets. They can change as many things as they want between the initial concept and the final car, the concept is just to get people excited.

I don't think they need to get people excited far ahead of launch. What secrets are they trying to keep close to the vest with the Model X that we haven't seen the final form?
Why should they do anything differently with the 3?

For the 35k market you are going to have to cut some corners. I'm sure there will be options to upgrade the interior, but Musk isn't going to be talking about how the Model 3 seats are "a work of art." A less refined EV from Tesla is going to be a whole lot better than anything else with similar specs from others...but you can't expect to have the same refinement that you see in the S, and will see in the X.

Also at 35k (less with tax credit) you're competing with touring packages from Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM...and I don't see many comparing these cars to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.

TM has said many times that they are targeting Audi A4/5, BMW 3/4 series and Merc C class. I am totally fine with the $35K base model not being extravant but it does need to compete with a base 328i and I want a version to compete with a BMW M3/4. But build quality needs to be in BMW range not Toyota range.

Much of the cost savings to get the M3 out at the 35K base price are likely to come from leveraging the developments already undertaken for the MS & MX
They definitely seem to be focussing on getting the M3 out at the scheduled time, so that doesn't leave much to redevelop something that already exists.
Hence reusing as much as possible and repackaging into something 20% smaller.
I would also suspect that the software development would follow similar lines.

I don't think they need to get people excited far ahead of launch. What secrets are they trying to keep close to the vest with the Model X that we haven't seen the final form?
Why should they do anything differently with the 3?

You are talking about the Model X final production car. They had the Model X unveiling 3 years ago. So no, I don't expect them to do anything differently except they will only unveil it a year or two in advance, i.e. 2016.

Model 3 will be on time. As said already. Not having the Gigafactory and Model 3 ready on time would be a death blow to Tesla's reputation and financial health.
Except that it would mark the first time the company has actually hit a date. I want a Model 3 as much as anyone, I'm just trying to keep everyone's expectations in check as to how Tesla works. If you have a lease that expires in the next couple years and you're hoping to jump into a Model 3 I strongly suggest you have a backup plan.

The team can build on a lot of the design and engineering that went into MS and MX. MS was goundbreaking, everything new. M3 much different. All the power train, user interface, perhaps even little things like seats, mirrors etc can be adapted to the M3.
I wouldn't be so sure. The one big factor is cost. What worked on the Model S might no longer be feasible on a Model 3. For example for the Model S & X it might have been fine that workers did certain tasks by hand, but if you want a cheap Model 3 then you want robots to do more, which has to be considered in the design. Then there is also material... they want to get away from expensive alumnium and use mostly steel as far as I know, this will create a lot of new challenges regarding corrosion and joining parts.

I know Electrek.co has quoted Elon with saying "the Model 3 remains on track for a 2017 release", however, I wonder if that means release to consumers or just release the concepts. I agree with Johaan that most of the features from the Model X and S will be able to be moved to the Model 3 leaving not as much innovation, ie. Falcon Wing Doors.

Allow me to translate from Elon-speak to English: "the Model 3 is on track for a delay in 2017"

Now that Chevy has started on the Bolt and promises it will be available in October 2016 that may put a little charge under Tesla. I hope they will have a beta model 3 in late 2016 and start production in 2017. The battery factory seems on time and should be making cells in 2016. The S and X have given them the experience to get the model 3 out if they feel it's ready. I'll put my deposit down anytime they want it. If Chevy and Nissan can do it I'm sure Tesla can.

Chevrolet Bolt To Be Built In Michigan In October 2016, Opel EV Coming Too

Chevrolet Bolt To Be Built In Michigan In October 2016, Opel “Companion” EV Coming Too (Updates)

General Motors' own press release says nothing about the Chevrolet Bolt being released or manufactured beginning in 2016. Various articles simply quote anonymous sources among GM's suppliers who claim they will have components ready by late 2016. To my knowledge, General Motors has never brought a concept car to market as a viable vehicle in less than five years. It was, for instance, five years between the display of the Cadillac Converj concept and the launch of Cadillac ELR. I would seriously doubt the Chevrolet Bolt would go from concept to manufacture in less than two full calendar years.

When Tesla Motors shows us the Model ≡ it will be perhaps 90% production ready, for launch within 18 months.

I'm still waiting for 'The FUTURE!' that was promised by the 1988 Pontiac Banshee...

What the heck, I used this once before and you didn't mind... :smile:

tilting_at_windmills.jpg

I was amazed at how easy it was to find my prior post. Just a quick Google image search for "site:teslamotorsclub.com tilting at windmills"

General Motors' own press release says nothing about the Chevrolet Bolt being released or manufactured beginning in 2016. Various articles simply quote anonymous sources among GM's suppliers who claim they will have components ready by late 2016. To my knowledge, General Motors has never brought a concept car to market as a viable vehicle in less than five years. It was, for instance, five years between the display of the Cadillac Converj concept and the launch of Cadillac ELR. I would seriously doubt the Chevrolet Bolt would go from concept to manufacture in less than two full calendar years.

That's correct. GM has not confirmed a production date. They have confirmed production will be at Orion Assembly. There are the sources you mention plus the fact that GM made a $160 million investment there last year for a "future vehicle program."

Five years is their normal development time, but the car was being discussed publicly 3 years ago by Dan Akerson, and would have been greenlighted before then. I don't believe that GM really all of a sudden decided to build the car after NAIAS, when they've been hinting at it for years. I think the Bolt EV concept is more a design study, hinting at the general shape and layout of the Bolt that was already in development.

Tesla plans to unveil its $35,000 Model 3 in March 2016 | The Verge

Tesla is aiming to reveal the Model 3, its answer to BMW's 3-series, in March 2016. CEO Elon Musk announced the target date during today's call with Tesla investors. "We are hoping to show the Model 3 in March of next year," he said. Musk emphasized that the date is tentative and plans could change in the months ahead. But right now, that's the goal. Production of the Model 3, which will be able to drive 200 miles on a single charge, would start in mid or late 2017. "Late 2017 is probably more realistic," Musk added. It's been rumored that Tesla is targeting a price around $35,000.