Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get Park Assist on Model S with HW4 and no USS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been able to park a giant 1980s Cadillac in My garage for 20+ years and never hit anything. How did you all survive before Tesla? or are you just trolling? 🧌
I'm not trolling. I'm appealing to the Tesla people to fix this. I had 8" to spare in my garage and my 2017 Model S Tesla's USS saved the car and the walls. I rearranged my garage to have 18" of clearance, and now can get in without issue. Remember, Tesla _removed_ all of the sensors that my 2017 Model S had. I'm not driving my mom's 1969 Ford anymore, nor her 1970 Mercury station wagon. With those cars, I could see the hood and know where the bumper was. I can't see the hood on my 2023 Model S. I can't see where it ends. So, proximity sensors are very much wanted.

I'm not trolling. I'm appealing to the Tesla people to fix this. I had 8" to spare in my garage and my 2017 Model S Tesla's USS saved the car and the walls. I rearranged my garage to have 18" of clearance, and now can get in without issue. Remember, Tesla _removed_ all of the sensors that my 2017 Model S had. I'm not driving my mom's 1969 Ford anymore, nor her 1970 Mercury station wagon. With those cars, I could see the hood and know where the bumper was. I can't see the hood on my 2023 Model S. I can't see where it ends. So, proximity sensors are very much wanted.
We’ll in the meantime… have you heard of a piece of string and something called a tennis ball? Or you could just keep wrecking your car that you can’t seem to park without wrecking into your garage every time. I mean you have a $100,000 at that you don’t sound like you are an experienced enough driver to learn how to properly park. Are your moms 1970s cars the only other cars you have ever driven? Or is this model s that you are talking about also your moms car? Because this argument is just borderline childish. you are not appealing to anyone at Tesla by moaning about wrecking your car every time you try to park it into your garage.
I highly doubt Elon musk or anyone from Tesla even look at this forum. unless an engineer from Tesla wants to chime in here. and heck even if they did lurk around reading on this forum nothing is going to change their decision, unless we actually start a petition and be a bit more professional about the whole shituation. if we were able to get say 100,000 signatures maybe we could get someone’s attention at Tesla. but that’s a stretch because here is the real deal…. at a production rate of 2million cars a year We are talking a $200 million cost savings for just one year for Tesla by not having to install these sensors in every single car. So unless you can figure out how to make Tesla save $$200mil dollars a year go ahead.

We'll I'll assume you aren't trolling. Having owned a bunch of Caddies over the years, the 80's had monstrous chrome bumpers. Then most of them had rubber pads on them as well. I'd be more worried about the garage getting hurt than the car. ;) Unlikely to do much damage to them pulling into a garage unless you were at a high rate of speed.

By comparison, the painted surfaces on Tesla are a lot softer and fairly easily damaged. In one of my garage I have about 2 inches of clearance when the car is so that the garage door clears the bumper. The USS absolutely helps me more quickly and accurately park the car.………….
I’m not saying you’re wrong it’s just not helping yourself with your problem of bringing your car into your car hangar.
it’s actually saving Tesla $200million per year at the rate of 2 million cars a year. In 2024 when the Mexico factory open and they hit the goal of 4million cars a year they will be saving nearly 1/2 billion dollars per year by not installing $100 worth of sensors in each car. The issue here is just that it’s all about money and I agree it is sad but you can just hang a tennis ball from a piece of string or go on Amazon and buy a $50 laser parking assist device for your $100k car so you can afford that in the meantime. Tesla already got the $100k from you they are not losing a penny.

I’m not saying you’re wrong it’s just not helping yourself with your problem of bringing your car into your car hangar.
it’s actually saving Tesla $200million per year at the rate of 2 million cars a year. In 2024 when the Mexico factory open and they hit the goal of 4million cars a year they will be saving nearly 1/2 billion dollars per year by not installing $100 worth of sensors in each car. The issue here is just that it’s all about money and I agree it is sad but you can just hang a tennis ball from a piece of string or go on Amazon and buy a $50 laser parking assist device for your $100k car so you can afford that in the meantime. Tesla already got the $100k from you they are not losing a penny.
You are focused on a static situation which is where I think the value of USS is less, though still significant, compared to parking/driving in areas you aren't familiar with. For example, I had to go to a medical center for the first time today. It was basically a labyrinth I had to navigate to park to my car with steep ramps and very tight turns. Based on the scrapes of the walls, a lot of people had depth perception issues.

It was handy to see how close my nose actually was to the wall. I had to pull into a very tight area and the USS gives a very good indication of clearance at the corners of the car. The cars without USS absolutely suck here. The USS also picked up things that weren't in my line of sight as well.

So Tesla saves a few bucks but potentially drives away customers and loses current customers. I am a good example of that. I bought used instead of new. I've spent 320k on Teslas in less than 2 years. These could be my last purchases if they don't get things straightened out.

A close friend was all ready to pull the trigger on a new 3 for his wife with all the incentives but when he found out there were no parking sensors, that was the end of his interest. He has a motorcycle in his garage and it moves around a bit. His wife is a fairly new driver and the parking aids on his Porsche have prevented a lot of damage on the bike and car so far.

So what are they going to remove next, the steering wheel? Who needs seats? How about one mirror, or maybe none since our cameras are so great already. The last one is pretty likely. Some of their moves are just a race to the bottom. In some ways, we are getting to the point their supposed upgrades just cost-cutting measures that are actually downgrades.

They should make some things options. That way if you feel strongly enough about it, you can get it. I know they try and simplify the production process so why even offer any colors if they are so hell-bent on streamlining production?

Last edited:
Reactions: ks1972 and StevenSD
You are focused on a static situation which is where I think the value of USS is less, though still significant, compared to parking/driving in areas you aren't familiar with. For example, I had to go to a medical center for the first time today. It was basically a labyrinth I had to navigate to park to my car with steep ramps and very tight turns. Based on the scrapes of the walls, a lot of people had depth perception issues.

It was handy to see how close my nose actually was to the wall. I had to pull into a very tight area and the USS gives a very good indication of clearance at the corners of the car. The cars without USS absolutely suck here. The USS also picked up things that weren't in my line of sight as well.

So Tesla saves a few bucks but potentially drives away customers and loses current customers. I am a good example of that. I bought used instead of new. I've spent 320k on Teslas in less than 2 years. These could be my last purchases if they don't get things straightened out.

A close friend was all ready to pull the trigger on a new 3 for his wife with all the incentives but when he found out there were no parking sensors, that was the end of his interest. He has a motorcycle in his garage and it moves around a bit. His wife is a fairly new driver and the parking aids on his Porsche have prevented a lot of damage on the bike and car so far.

So what are they going to remove next, the steering wheel? Who needs seats? How about one mirror, or maybe none since our cameras are so great already. The last one is pretty likely. Some of their moves are just a race to the bottom. In some ways, we are getting to the point their supposed upgrades just cost-cutting measures that are actually downgrades.

They should make some things options. That way if you feel strongly enough about it, you can get it. I know they try and simplify the production process so why even offer any colors if they are so hell-bent on streamlining production?
I agree it should be an option to add sensors instead of the fsd options or make it a part of what you get if you order fsd or something. I have had none of the issues you speak of on my 2023 . Not one issue.. I can park perfectly fine without it and don’t have any depth perception issues. its kinda rediculous in my opinion that some people have such trouble driving; as if parking sensors are required to park in a parking garage. I’ve been doing it for 30 years and not once thought i needed it. Also the vision based ”parking assistance” has actually worked very well in my Tesla. It shows the lines all around my car when walls get close but it does miss some surfaces and I don’t trust it as I have 100% trust in my bmw sensors. However I have it deactivated because it’s quite annoying with all the beeping in the bmw . I have not needed to use The sensors in that car except for backing out of parking spaces where you can’t see the rear cross traffic.

Glad it works for you. You also miss an important use case. The parking sensors are very handy if you have multiple people driving the car who don't have a feel for its dimensions. This is sort of like the yoke discussion. At least with yoke you now can get an option now to have the wheel.

At the price point of the S, it should offer accurate parking aids or a 360 degree camera view. My 2014 Ford Cmax offered auto park (on either side of the road) as well as very accurate parking sensors.

If I can use widely adopted technology to enhance/simplify/make safer my driving experience, why shouldn't I want it in my car if it is available? It is even more useful if I am distracted, tired, etc. and reduces chance for error.

Are you one of those people who don't like ABS, automatic emergency braking, or blindspot monitoring? I want to use tech to simplify my workload.

We’ll in the meantime… have you heard of a piece of string and something called a tennis ball? Or you could just keep wrecking your car that you can’t seem to park without wrecking into your garage every time. I mean you have a $100,000 at that you don’t sound like you are an experienced enough driver to learn how to properly park. Are your moms 1970s cars the only other cars you have ever driven? Or is this model s that you are talking about also your moms car? Because this argument is just borderline childish. you are not appealing to anyone at Tesla by moaning about wrecking your car every time you try to park it into your garage.
I highly doubt Elon musk or anyone from Tesla even look at this forum. unless an engineer from Tesla wants to chime in here. and heck even if they did lurk around reading on this forum nothing is going to change their decision, unless we actually start a petition and be a bit more professional about the whole shituation. if we were able to get say 100,000 signatures maybe we could get someone’s attention at Tesla. but that’s a stretch because here is the real deal…. at a production rate of 2million cars a year We are talking a $200 million cost savings for just one year for Tesla by not having to install these sensors in every single car. So unless you can figure out how to make Tesla save $$200mil dollars a year go ahead.
I really shouldn't reply because you are trolling. I've owned many cars over many decades. I'm willing to pay to have them installed on my car. My last Model S had everything I wanted for sensors. I am very disappointed in Tesla for not allowing me to pay for them to be installed.

but how many $100k sales have they lost from people who don't want to spend $100k on a car that has limited features because they are being cheap and want to save $100 from a very important part?

A tennis ball and string is for $20k cars. If you're paying $100k for a car you should get $100k features.

Before your newly installed PPF wears out... Nobody ever knows with Tesla and based on how crappy it worked out with the 3/Y, I wouldn't hold my breath as sure to be as much of a letdown as you love your new ultra red Plaid.

Call it what you will, it's just cutting costs. 8 sensors less for every new car, thats saving them millions.
Just like removing every button or stalk, savings, all it is.
You can get a parking kit from Valeo that has it's own beeper you can hide somewhere in the car.
pick up a drill and start making holes in the bumper of your +100k car... 🤦‍♂️

Call it what you will, it's just cutting costs. 8 sensors less for every new car, thats saving them millions.
Just like removing every button or stalk, savings, all it is.
You can get a parking kit from Valeo that has it's own beeper you can hide somewhere in the car.
pick up a drill and start making holes in the bumper of your +100k car... 🤦‍♂️

Mechanic at Tesla told me they save $200 a sensor. Didn’t believe his number but they save something

Reactions: jrr6415sun
I’d have to imagine the cost of engineering a solution would negate this in the short term. Maybe even long term depending on how long it takes to get a working solution, and as we have seen from auto wipers, that may take a while. I don’t know how active development on a solution for the wipers have been, but those sensors have a ripple effect from parking to summon.

Reactions: jrr6415sun
IMG_6697.png

Just got
This update notification for our Model X Plaid we picked up on Tuesday.

I had a delivery yesterday for a new MS LR and it came already with 2023.12.300 software.
Park assist was working immediately when I drove it off the delivery.

It seems to be OK, just parked a couple of times and it was showing distance.
I didn't yet have time to test it properly but so far so good.

Reactions: mm9351